1796 Draped Bust Large Cent Cut Throat

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had some play time yesterday so a did a little recon on an area that I looked at a few years ago. Back then I saw loads of trash and ran away like a coward. When I went back yesterday I was brave and worked amongst the trash. My courage paid off with this 1796 bust cent (1797 reverse). It's too bad that some one didn't care for Lady Liberty and slashed her throat! Maybe someone here can attribute it?

Attachments

• 96.jpg
    96.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 96a.jpg
    96a.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 96b.jpg
    96b.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 36
I had some play time yesterday so a did a little recon on an area that I looked at a few years ago. Back then I saw loads of trash and ran away like a coward. When I went back yesterday I was brave and worked amongst the trash. My courage paid off with this 1796 bust cent (1797 reverse). It's too bad that some one didn't care for Lady Liberty and slashed her throat! Maybe someone here can attribute it?
"Cut Throat" or not a beautiful find. 230-year-old survivor.

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

A first year minted Draped Bust Large Cent - a rare and fantastic find - congrats ! :occasion14:

I think it is a Sheldon 106 variety R4 Very Scarce category. Sample photo to compare with.
Don

Attachments

• 1796 S106.jpg
    1796 S106.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 13
OUTSTANDING FIND :)P Congratulations

great save! She's a beauty no matter what condition

Cool! Any theories as to why the faces of large cents often appear more worn than the reverse? I’ve found a few myself this way (even above ground). Look at the rim on this face side for example, undetectable, date almost gone etc, whereas the back is all there.

Great find! I love those DBs that dip back into the 1700s. I've found KGs that were abused but never a lovely Liberty.

Cool! Any theories as to why the faces of large cents often appear more worn than the reverse? I’ve found a few myself this way (even above ground). Look at the rim on this face side for example, undetectable, date almost gone etc, whereas the back is all there.
Yes, sometimes it makes a big difference if it landed on heads or tails. The side facing down can be protected by the side facing up. Also some coins like the William 111 Half Penny are are extremely worn before they get lost. They have one strong point on the obverse that helps to ID them. This is one of them. I found about a dozen or so here in New Jersey. They all had the same high point.

Attachments

• willy.jpg
    willy.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back