1780 Half Reale at the Keg Party

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had some play time so I decided to go back to a site that I had recently found. The ground has soft white sand so the coins come up really nice. The Keg tap was found about 10 feet away from the half reale. Also found was jaw screw to a flint lock musket, a vent back button, a ball button, and some tombac buttons. I have to wonder what else was lost at the keg party!

Attachments

• tap.jpg
    tap.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 80
  • tap1.jpg
    tap1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 60
  • tap2.jpg
    tap2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 31
I had some play time so I decided to go back to a site that I had recently found. The ground has soft white sand so the coins come up really nice. The Keg tap was found about 10 feet away from the half reale. Also found was jaw screw to a flint lock musket, a vent back button, a ball button, and some tombac buttons. I have to wonder what else was lost at the keg party!
great saves and love that old silver, big time gratz

Congrats on some great recoveries!

I'm doubting jaw screw. The square shank wouldn't allow turning inside an upper jaw without turning the jaw itself. Or else the hole would need to be bigger than the shank.

Might be a furniture pull.
Door or drawer pull maybe?

Nice finds, and whether you knew it or not you identified an item for me as well. Dug this on our farm in Nc the first few weeks I had my detector, had no idea what it was. Unfortunately nobody at our party dropped any silver……at least not that I’ve found.

Attachments

• IMG_3167.jpeg
    IMG_3167.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3166.jpeg
    IMG_3166.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3165.jpeg
    IMG_3165.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Nice finds, and whether you knew it or not you identified an item for me as well. Dug this on our farm in Nc the first few weeks I had my detector, had no idea what it was. Unfortunately nobody at our party dropped any silver……at least not that I’ve found.
The last time I found a keg tap key, the site was loaded with 18th Century trinkets. I named the site "The Keg Party". There's still mote there!

The last time I found a keg tap key, the site was loaded with 18th Century trinkets. I named the site "The Keg Party". There's still mote there!
I’ve found several items dating to the 1700s there, but mostly flat buttons, nothing as nice as your silver.

I'm wondering about the half real. It looks pretty big compared to your finger, the size of a dime? Among the 4 Spanish silvers I have found over the years, one is 1780 like yours. Mine is in poorer shape. I think mine is a 1 real. There doesn't seem to be any marking on them so I guess we have to go by the size. I really like those silvers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back