1773 button ?

Messick81

May 6, 2009
found a button this week end and posted it on yhe rev. war site and had no replies,can somone here help? also found a 1775 half penny , 1804 half cent 4-IH,S tw0 standing lib.quarters two silver washington quarters two silver jefferson dimes, and one buffalo nickle, can post pics soon but realy would like an i,d on the button. thanks for any help

Nice button. You'll get more exposure here. I'm sure someone will chime in. Here's the pics-

1773 button front.jpg

front

1773 button back.jpg

back

Upvote 0
Neat I've never seen one like that. Is there anything one the back? It looks like it could be a button made from a coin.

Upvote 0
Very interesting button. I wish we had a better pic. Is that Latin? Looks like a face in the center or maybe wheat. Its not in clear focus.

Upvote 0
It is a button made to look like a spanish real. I have seen at least one other example posted by another digger in the past. (or perhaps it was a pair of cufflinks made to look like spanish coins...) I have a hunch it's late 1700s in manufacture.

-Buckles

Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
It is a button made to look like a spanish real. I have seen at least one other example posted by another digger in the past. (or perhaps it was a pair of cufflinks made to look like spanish coins...) I have a hunch it's late 1700s in manufacture.

-Buckles
They kinda looked like pillars and I thought about that but dismissed it. You could be right. I have a pic here somewhere. I can see the UM. Its a crown. Good call BB! :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• spanish milledpillar_small.jpg
    spanish milledpillar_small.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 331
  • spanish milledpillar_small.jpg
    spanish milledpillar_small.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 332
Upvote 0
I think it is a cuff!My friend pcolaboy found a pair like this!And donated them to the local museum

Attachments

• Cufflinks.gif
    Cufflinks.gif
    25 KB · Views: 326
Upvote 0
RELICDUDE07 said:
I think it is a cuff!My friend pcolaboy found a pair like this!And donated them to the local museum

I think your right as that's what it made me think of, but I've never seen one quite like that. It's funny my very first thought was a modern junk item seeing the design and date, but then seeing the second picture and the whole thing processing, convinced me it is old. It definitely has a 17th/18th century Spanish look to it.

I'd like to know the size and see a side view of the shank.

Upvote 0
I have one dated 1744. I will try to post a pic. I have never seen one like yours. i think that could be a very sought after piece.

Upvote 0
Here are two more of mine, they all seem to vary in style. But no doubt that is what it represents a Spanish silver piece.

Don

Attachments

• Spanish Coin Buttons.jpg
    Spanish Coin Buttons.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 261
  • Spanish Coin Buttons.jpg
    Spanish Coin Buttons.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 253
Upvote 0
Updated pictures of button...

Attachments

• 1773 front of button 2 4-13-10.jpg
    1773 front of button 2 4-13-10.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 1773 front of button 4-13-10.jpg
    1773 front of button 4-13-10.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 1773 side of button 4-13-10.jpg
    1773 side of button 4-13-10.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 173
Upvote 0
sorry i took so long in getting a picture of the back. i have been very busy,but i do appreciate all the help. thanks again

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back