• 1775front.jpg
    1775front.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 136
Upvote 7
The Fog is killin' it , those cft Kings

KG III might be a Machin Mills 8-)

pictures look great

Awesome congrats!

Nice coins. It does appear that the 1775 does have triangular denticles associated with Machin Mills coins. Would have to look up die varieties to know for sure. The 1775 date was the most common used for CTF coins. Don and IP should pipe in shortly. Hogge NOPE....just checked....NOT a Vlack 4-75A. NOT a Machin Mills coin.

Last edited:
best-of-luck2.jpg 2 BEAUTIES!!!

The George III appears that it may be a contemporary counterfeit. It is not a Machine's piece. The easiest way to spot a Machin's Mills piece is the lack of the outlined shield seen in the Union Jack. See photo of your coin and an example of a Machin piece. Your coin has a very interesting reverse. There appears to be a nice die crack going through the letters of Britania and another one coming down from about 12:00 in front of the face. Any way you look at it....Great Finds!

1775back union jack.jpg machins shield.jpg

Super finds!

The George III is really neat looking - I believe it is a member of the "Georgivs Triumpho"/ Atkins 232 family of contemporary counterfeits. But these families can be tricky and I still have a lot to learn.

The George II is a 1736 not a 1756. :icon_thumright:

Nice coins. It does appear that the 1775 does have triangular denticles associated with Machin Mills coins. Would have to look up die varieties to know for sure. The 1775 date was the most common used for CTF coins. Don and IP should pipe in shortly. Hogge NOPE....just checked....NOT a Vlack 4-75A. NOT a Machin Mills coin.

I was going to say it's easy to rule out 75 because there's only one.

They sure didn't want to waste space on the 75 obverse... very large lettering. And even looks like they put an exclamation point after REX! ;)

Last edited:
Congrats on a couple nice KGs! They are in better condition than most as well.

Awesome coppers there Fog....I knew that George III was gonna clean up great... It look great right out of the ground...Congrats!

That '75 counterfiet is in good order, nice find. As already stated the other is a '36:icon_thumright:

Those are in very nice condition for the age! I live in Maine and found a KG 3 a couple weeks ago but not nearly as nice as that. Congrats on a great hunt

Thanks for all of the feedback, I'm having a good fall to say the least! Hogge, Iron Patch, Bramblefind, Don in Brewster, et al., thanks for the info on the coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back