1715 Beach Area Short Term House Rental...

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
While reading some of the posts that have to do with the bridges being shut down during the hurricane, with only residents being allowed access, I began to think of how someone, or a group of someone's could manage to legally be able to get to the barrier island without staying at a hotel (which would most likely get you thrown out during the evacuation), or playing hide-and-seek with local law enforcement.

Simply put, we need to find someone who either lives there, or has rental property there who would be willing to write up a short term rental lease for the property. One of the nice things about the state of Florida is that Tenants (Renters) have the same rights to a piece of property as a property owner (other than "disposition of the property").

The lease should serve as "Prima Facie" evidence of residency on the island, and will most likely get you through the roadblocks.

Give me your feedback and ideas on this...

Upvote 0
I have been thinking about the Spanish survivors. They probably cut down (clearcut) every tree within reach. They may have burned every Sea Grape tree, not considering next years fruit. They probably ate every turtle that crawled on the beach to lay eggs. I heard the Ais Indians became tired of catching fish to feed so many men. The Indians lived in tune with the environment for a millenium. Why did the Ais allow the white intruders to survive? Do you think they realized that their way of life was coming to an end and a new ruder civilization was moving in? They never helped survivors before 1715. Why did they help these? European diseases previously introduced had already decimated their tribe. Helping these survivors only hastened their own demise. When the Seminoles arrived a century later, the area was completely abandoned. The 1715 disaster changed the Treasure Coast forever, and we can only imagine the beauty, the simplicity of the Ais way of life now extinct, forever gone.

Attachments

• ais calusa.jpg
    ais calusa.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 461
the Indians...no matter what type, tribe or point in history...were S.O.L when the white man showed up...or washed up.

Trez

Trez said:
the Indians...no matter what type, tribe or point in history...were S.O.L when the white man showed up...or washed up.

Trez
Yes, the plague washed up. :D Until then, the violent well organized South Florida Indians resisted any Spanish settlement, the only success being St. Augustine to the north. The Spanish tried for centuries, (since Ponce De Leon in the 1500's) but could not establish anything comparable to the Carribean Islands, Mexico, or South America. They needed to protect the shipping lanes and the shipwreck survivors, but could not.

Attachments

• ais calusa mask.jpg
    ais calusa mask.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 501
Trez said:
yea....but look where they ended up.
Old World diseases killed them. But why did they help the 1715 survivors? They could have killed them easily.

Cap Z. said:
Deepsix,
I wonder if it is legal to metal detect around schools? If one has to get written permission?

I too would like to hear more about the kids reales.

HH
Cap Z.

I really don't know what the legality of hunting around schools are but I do it often, then and now. I work them on weekends and out in the open, mostly the recreation areas and always any wooded areas surrounding them. My only suggestion would be to keep the holes small, always cover them up well, and stay out on the lawn areas.

To work them when the kids are present is begging to be checked out by law enforcement. In todays world a stranger hanging around a school full of kids, no matter what they are doing, is going to be spotted by someone that is going to have them checked out and rightfully so (at least in my opinion). Why push the envelope and take a chance on being told you can't do it anymore.

I also like working any wooded or overgrown areas surrounding the schools. Kids will be kids (I remember wooded areas that bordered several schools I attended) and you can find some interesting things....lol. Not always just junk either.

I've never been questioned by anyone except a high school principle once. She was driving by the school on a Sunday and stopped to ask about what I was doing. The conversation led to me letting her put on the head phones and swing the MD a bit. A couple of weeks later I ended up being asked to bring in a collection of artifacts, etc that I have found and gave a little class in Amateur Archaeology to their "Special ED" class.

As far as the kids coins go. It did make the local paper and I believe the Vero paper also. A little research in their "morgues" should turn up the whole thing. You could also check with Mel's Museum. They are generally pretty happy to inform anyone that asks about local finds to keep the interest alive. If no one in the actual museum knows, go out back and ask in the office, they will.
Deepsix

Cap Z. said:
Thanks deep6,

I have found that so often people fabricate stories. Or just basically lie. So very much of what we read even in the newspaper is BS. Politics IS BS.

That stretch of land where the McLarty Museum is has the Indian River immediately on its western shoulder.
The reports were when pirates came the Spanish ran into the jungle'.
Very strange if you take an aerial view of the entire area. UNLESS, they ran North-South and thus buried many stashes ..IN THE DUNES!!!!!

Obviously there is a good chunk of undeveloped land along the treasure coast. It reminds me of throwing darts at balloons at the hillbilly carnival. Take out 60% of the balloons(oceanfront lots) and you still haven't hi the balloon with the Big Prize. I think the developers have actually helped us eliminate much empty land. My hunch is those land areas that still remain vacant need to be thouroughly MD'd.

Sounds like a beer party in a hotel this winter, then hit the 'lots'/'dunes' at 2am.
lol!
Cap Z.

There is a secret to the Carnival Balloon break and it's easy to know which ones to aim for if you know it.

The area directly across from the McLarty Museum is sort of like a little cove. One interprising TH'er worked it regularly back in the mid 90's. He was out there whenever the water was to rough on the outside. I'm not going to give his name and I don't know any details of what he found but he was there and working, more often the not, over at least a three year period, which was the time I was living in Sebastian (he is well known as a successful treasure hunter).
Deepsix

Deep6, I am curious as to what you mean by "worked the area" across from the Mclarty? Are you suggesting that person was blowing holes with their boat? Diving and metal detecting? Wading and detecting?

I find this hard to believe for 2 reasons. 1) I have been down there every summer since 1991 and have never seen anyone out there, except for flats fishermen. 2) The nice Park Rangers at the Mclarty keep an eye on that kind of activity.

Believe me, many, many people have thought of working that area. Only one or two people I know are stupid enough to try it (anything for money to fuel their coke habit)

Trez is right on the money however, BE may be one of them. ;)

gdaddyflex said:
Deep6, I am curious as to what you mean by "worked the area" across from the Mclarty? Are you suggesting that person was blowing holes with their boat? Diving and metal detecting? Wading and detecting?

I find this hard to believe for 2 reasons. 1) I have been down there every summer since 1991 and have never seen anyone out there, except for flats fishermen. 2) The nice Park Rangers at the Mclarty keep an eye on that kind of activity.

Believe me, many, many people have thought of working that area. Only one or two people I know are stupid enough to try it (anything for money to fuel their coke habit)

Trez is right on the money however, BE may be one of them. ;)

Hard to believe or not, the person was there. Not using blowers, but defiantly in the water and working. It was not an everyday thing but it certainly was common to see him and his boat out there. Several of us that actually lived along the coast worked year round. If the weather and water were good, we were working. Again, I'm not going to say who he was and I have no knowledge of what he did or didn't find but the fact remains, he was there and working, for at least the 3 years we were there, on a regular basis.
Deepsix

If you ever glance at the Mclarty entrance before you pull in...coming from the south, you will see just off A1-A a monument which consists of several wooden pilings wrapped with hemp rope...you will see another one of these pilings, just north of the Inlet park...I think these are the boundaries for the State park.
The one just outside of Mclarty is the south end of the State park, can this be possible? if so, then the cove South from Mclarty is fair game as far as a little searching ahh? I remember seeing some over-niter's there a few times, maybe were they fishing?

(stupid? yep...how did Gump say)

Trez

Trez said:
If you ever glance at the Mclarty entrance before you pull in...coming from the south, you will see just off A1-A a monument which consists of several wooden pilings wrapped with hemp rope...you will see another one of these pilings, just north of the Inlet park...I think these are the boundaries for the State park.
The one just outside of Mclarty is the south end of the State park, can this be possible? if so, then the cove South from Mclarty is fair game as far as a little searching ahh? I remember seeing some over-niter's there a few times, maybe were they fishing?

(stupid? yep...how did Gump say)

Trez

;D not bad Trez....not bad at all.
Deepsix

If you are going to be a pirate, why would you care if you are within the state park boundaries or not? It is still against the law in Florida to remove anything older than 50 years old from state submerged lands.They did away with the isolated finds program. Lagoons, rivers, creeks, large puddles, lakes, ponds, are all off limits to artifact collecting.

gdaddyflex said:
If you are going to be a pirate, why would you care if you are within the state park boundaries or not? It is still against the law in Florida to remove anything older than 50 years old from state submerged lands.They did away with the isolated finds program. Lagoons, rivers, creeks, large puddles, lakes, ponds, are all off limits to artifact collecting.

gdaddyflex:

Were you on the boat with Mo the day a diver stepped off and onto the shark??

Not everyone in the water with a MD is a pirate or looking for over 50 year old artifacts (How ridiculos is that law. I guess if you find a couple of merc dimes in an old swimming hole, you are now a criminal), even along the Treasure Coast (or has a coke habit to support). I know several old timers that add a fair amount to their yearly income working very specific areas (usually with a hookah rig). They work areas where boaters tend to tie up and party (especially the overnight types). It's amazing what you can find. I've seen everything from anchors to a gold inlaid jade bong come up....lol. These party spots exist along every coastline and there are several along the Treasure Coast.

Along the Treasure Coast it's important to know where the leases are and of course the park boundaries.
Deepsix

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back