🔎 UNIDENTIFIED 1700's Unusual decorative copper whatever?

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been digging at a early site with quiet a few 1700's items. Nothing from the 1800's so far as I know. Lot of coins from 1723 to 1760 which I plan to post soon. This item was buried deep near the depression that was most likely a root cellar. Plenty of iron signals around the depression. The ground filled with broken brick and pottery shards. Several pewter Trefid spoon handles and broken bowls. This item in the pic has me stumped. Copper very light weight and delicate. Maybe an ornament of sorts? Love to hear back by anybody who willing to take a shot at it. Many thanks for looking. Bill

Attachments

• unknown find.jpg
    unknown find.jpg
    744 KB · Views: 71
First thought it resembles a Shako or hat plume of sorts (not sure of the correct terminology)

Upvote 1
Interesting find. My thoughts include an ornament, a finial of some sort, or maybe part of an unusually shaped gun powder flask. Keep us posted on the ID!

Upvote 1
Interesting find. My thoughts include an ornament, a finial of some sort, or maybe part of an unusually shaped gun powder flask. Keep us posted on the ID!
Will do. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Almost looks like a hinge sleeve on the one side....top part of pic. Also looks like the finial end had a matching end at the tore up end....see a round part there

Upvote 1
Almost looks like a hinge sleeve on the one side....top part of pic. Also looks like the finial end had a matching end at the tore up end....see a round part there
Well, I did a pencil drawing of what I think it might have looked like and posted it on Google Lens. Came up with this gold finial. Probably a reproduction of earlier ones. One finial site said the multiple folds look was made popular in Elizabethan period? LOL, like one of these collars?? Looks really comfortable. I'm going to guess it's more likely to be from the 1800's.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 17
  • c266d913-27a1-44b9-a259-6ec51a7f6a84_800x800.jpeg
    c266d913-27a1-44b9-a259-6ec51a7f6a84_800x800.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back