14k Italy stamped triple chain link braclet

Brianbarr88

Jun 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this real.? Anybody know any background on this. I got it from somebody in a trade. It looks legit, I can't find anything like it online tho.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
This is the only part of the bracelet that question that has me questioning if it's real gold or not as you can see one of the classes the mail part is tarnished well the female part is exact same texture tone color as the centerpiece the chain links all seem to be consistenttoimage.jpgimage.jpg

Upvote 0
From what I can see in the photos it is legit. Those small unmarked parts and links that tarnished might test out to be 10k or lower, the European standard for gold is 8k, 10k gold is the legal standard in the US.

Also the chain links themselves are soldered together, as are some other parts/clasp. To make 2 separate pieces of 14 karat gold bond together you have to use gold solder that has either a lower or higher gold karat. Almost all the time they use a lower gold karat to solder gold together. Then we buy it and over time we notice these parts or spots tarnish or become off-color. Try using a toothbrush to scrub it in a warm water and dish washing liquid solution, household ammonia and water is another solution, next is rubbing the part with toothpaste or baking soda and water, then buff it out with a cotton cloth.

Upvote 0
image.jpg

So I took your advice and put together a mix of dish liquid soap and warm water with a sponge and q-tips I took it to the braclet and all came out beautiful. No marks, tarnish or off colored parts to it now.
Check out the after-wash pictures, I didn't take a toothbrush or ammonia to it btw just the soap and warm water with a sponge and cotton.

Upvote 0
So is this entire braclet gold? I mean for the most part at least, like the center piece, and the chain links as well as the clasps? This thing is heavy.. My guess is it weighs an ounce or more.
What is the design on the front?
Can I find similar ones like this online?
What is this worth, anybody have an idea? Thanks for the input and suggestion on cleaning it ant, it came out beautiful and I'm no longer doubting its legitimacy.
Here's a shot of the front side of the bar, is this considered an ID bar? Or name bar?
image.jpg

Upvote 0
untill an acid test is performed you wont know what you have,nobody can say from pics.take it to a jeweler.I have had some MAJOR dissappointments when it comes to jewelery marked 14k from italy,and some pleasant results too.low karat gold WILL tarnish,its the metals used to alloy with the gold.8-10-12k is famous for it.yellow gold is alloyed with copper commonly and the tarnish can be greenish.go have it tested instead of us guessing then let us know.

I am sure rooting for ya !!and welcome to t-net !!

Upvote 0
Thanks.
And I'm no longer curious of the authenticity of the gold, but the value.
If I took this to refinery will I get more money or should I sell it as an item to be worn as jewlery?
Also what is this braclet considered like does it have a name for the style?
And what's the engravings on the center peice Thera like swirls and v shapes

Upvote 0
ID bar with triple chain links ? Lol
How would I google a similar item.

Upvote 0
Some people after handling enough karat gold can determine between gold plated items and look alike metals, but it is difficult to tell the karat. You can see this if you sell enough too, most buyer's don't test every item, only selected, suspected, or unmarked items.
The test is only needed to trade it for money. Some people have the ability to quickly spot any sign that the item is not gold, there's a feel to gold, you can see that it has luster and a closer look will reveal the crystalline structure that gold plating doesn't have, some people secrete enough acid in their skin they rub the gold to see it it transfers any black color to their skin, we know what lacquer looks like and how it is applied.

As for making a determinenation from a photo, we go by what the poster writes, the photos, and our questions. It takes a lot to learn the characteristics of gold.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Yeah I agree with that ant. You have some knowledge when it comes to this kind of stuff I can tell.

As for the braclett I have cleaned it once again, the first time I used a sponge with a scrub thing on the top and this time I used a tooth brush.
After the first wash, I wore it and after a image.jpgday it started to get dirty again, it is coming from the insides of the chain links and the inside of the female clasp I think..
It produced some black smear in my arm almost as if it was fake but it wipes clean and looks shiney as if new when I rinse it off.
Here's a photo of it now, after washing it again..image.jpg
image.jpg
Why does it keep getting dirty ?

Upvote 0
If u look at the male part of the clasp it still has an unclean look to it, why's it doing that??

Upvote 0
You can rub it against your skin & if it smells like a metal odor than it might be gold filled if it has no smell at all it is gold

Upvote 0
Let me take a look on my PC, I'll tell you as much as I can from the pic,.sometimes parts are replaced or the maker was scrupulous.

Here's a thick rolled gold watch chain and some known karat gold.

Attachments

• CAM01084.jpg
    CAM01084.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 108
  • CAM01085.jpg
    CAM01085.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 98
  • CAM01086.jpg
    CAM01086.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 0
it definetly doesn't smell like metal when I rub it against my skin.
anyone have any idea what this is worth?
I want to sell it as a piece of jewelery right? not just for th gold value.

Upvote 0
You might try some jewelry cleaner dip or an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to get the cracks and crevasses in the chain cleaned out. That may be what is leaching onto your wrist.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back