12 SPIKED/ABANDONDED NEAR CHAMPION HILL MISSISSIPPI PLUS 5000-8000 SMALL ARMS

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Confederate major general william lorings division abandonded these while attempting to help out pemberton....they were traveling along bakers creek...they went from starting point near 12 miles before turning around and going back around 8 miles....in two areas between 4 miles out and 12 miles out they spiked 12 cannon and abandonded them in a swamp and left between 5000-8000 small arms/ammo/etc in the bed of a deep creek there......one could pinpoint these two areas fairly easy by reading the article/diaries/records as they all point to near exact timelines along route of the leaving of both the spiked cannon and the hiding of the arms............this info from civil war times newest issue.....resource listed as ''champion hill, decisive battle for vicksburg'' by timothy b smith and the ''fremantle diary'', being the journal of col arthur lyon fremantle, coldstream guards, on his 3 months in the southern states.....more, including several diaries, books, and official records of the battles/skirmishes in the area at www.battleofchampionhill.org

Upvote 0
jnjross said:
with a title like that who can't stop n read? I come from a long line of civil war history buffs, and it's a nice story but in lorings letters in the days after CH, he states "We lost what artillery we had with us for the want of a road and bridges, The wagons of this division were sent back to Edwards Depot.". Col. Daniel W. Lindsey Twenty-second Kentucky Infantry wrote to his captain "On the approach of the latter the enemy retired his battery, leaving a wagon-load of ammunition on the ground. I ordered the ammunition destroyed (in the execution of which order Captain Thomas, of the Twenty- second Kentucky, a most gallant and efficient officer, was severely burned by the explosion), marched to Edwards Station, and bivouacked at 12 o'clock at night.". The story of Loring as become a lore. :wink: . I live in what was called auburn, and I am certain that Sid Champion V will not give permission, he is very protective of the site. If you can tell from the website! shortstack if that company is cal-main they give relic rights to The Jackson Civil War round table who works with MDAH on this area and could soon be part of vicksburg military park, making that site Illegal to hunt. If it's too good to be true,,, Would we all like to find Jesse James stash ;D ..

I try to keep some things a little close to the vest. One of those things was the name of the company and it would have been better if you'd PM'd me for verification. The MDAH has the old house there where the Yankees set up their field headquarters. The house has recently been restored and is owned by the MDAH and will be on the battlefield tour circuit. The area immediately surrounding the house is, of course, off limits for detecting. Probably a quarter of an acre. The land owned by the company is HUGE, and I might add covers the area where Loring farted around in the end. Of course, that was not unusual. During the entire Battle of Champions Hill, Loring would delay following orders he received from his commander because he (Loring) thought his commander was not qualified and thusly was not inclined to jump whenever he was ordered. It's true that Pemberton was in WAY over his head, but Loring's screwing around aided the South's defeat at CH. Loring should have been the General killed instead of Thilgman. (I know, I misspelled his name.) General T was a REAL fighter. I would take anything Loring wrote with a serious amount of salt. He wasn't about to put himself in a bad light and would definitely point the finger at OTHER leaders as being wrong in their decisions and not HE. Loring was an asskisser and thought himself a whole lot better than he actually was.

Re: 12 SPIKED/ABANDONDED NEAR CHAMPION HILL MISSISSIPPI PLUS 5000-8000 SMALL AR

Marty-Graw said:
what kind of value would a cache of say 1000 each rifles and pistols have?
I know of a story where an old man was hiking and came across a cave full of CW supplies... not sure what kind of supplies..... the man couldnt find the cave again after that because the entrance was covered by bushes.....not sure how he found it the first time.....the reason i kind of believe this story is roughly 20 years ago the old man (original finder) told my friend and my friend told me. so it hasnt been handed down a hundred times exaggerated each time

That is the story from Rocky Face,Ga on the cave. Much here in Chattanooga was scavenged by looters right behind the troops. Also much was melted down here for the war effort in war world I. That does not mean your research is bad but the finding of such items would not be documented. I hope you find them all :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back