1/2" 13 gauge raised expanded?

Good day,

If you're going with miners moss under expanded, go with the Gold Hog "Hog Moss". I ordered some up to try and it is much better under expanded metal. Basically traditional 3M Nomad Matting (commonly called "Miners Moss") is soft and when the expanded metal gets compressed down as you tighten up the expanded the moss fills all the diamond areas leaving no room for the gold to collect. The "Hog Moss" is a firmer rubber that will not fill the diamond voids in the mesh and leave room for gold to collect in the mesh. If your going to run the moss, check out the Gold Hog website, I think it was even a little cheaper then the 3M matting last time I ordered some. I'm actually going to start running this in my highbanker and recirculator units as it works much better than traditional moss. Here is the link to the Hog Moss,

http://www.goldhog.com/miners_moss.htm

As far as the raised 1/2" 13 gauge expanded, that is the tallest 1/2" expanded you're going to find easily and it's what I use in my equipment that runs 1/2" expanded. It's good and strong so the edges don't flare up and holds everything down nice and tight. This is a good choice for expanded metal for your highbanker.

I hope this helps,
Chris

Last edited:
Hey chris thank for that advice. Ive heard that tradition miners moss isnt that good so ill look at the hog moss. I appreciate it!

I've quit using Miners Moss (Nomad) for fine gold because it gets too loaded up and packed with sand and small gravels.
Found that vortex mat works much better on the fine gold because of it's active exchange of lights for heavies plus it's much easier to clean and no expanded metal is needed.

The famous Gold Cube uses it exclusively and Doc at Gold hog uses a Gold Cube to test for fine gold losses on his Gold Hog matting.
When using my 15" trommel I install Clarkson riffles over the vortex because of the high volume of flow and the trommel only classifies to 1/2".

But when using my Keene A-52 sluice in my highbanker I'll just use the stock riffle tray over the Vortex. If I'm in an area with lots of sand then I classify down to 1/8" and use straight vortex mat with no riffle tray.

On my two stage 4" dredge I also use vortex on the bottom stage instead of carpet or miners moss or ribbed mat under miners moss.
Makes for a much easier clean up with much less gangue in the concentrates.

*Vortex mat is really just rough top conveyer belt that has been named Vortex because of it's active nature when used in a sluice.
I've been using it for the last few years and see no reason to ever go back to miners moss when it comes to recovering fine and flour gold.
Here in Indiana recovering fine and flour gold becomes our specialty or else we would go home empty handed.

GG~

Last edited:
I've quit using Miners Moss (Nomad) for fine gold because it gets too loaded up and packed with sand and small gravels.
Found that vortex mat works much better on the fine gold because of it's active exchange of lights for heavies plus it's much easier to clean and no expanded metal is needed.

The famous Gold Cube uses it exclusively and Doc at Gold hog uses a Gold Cube to test for fine gold losses on his Gold Hog matting.
When using my 15" trommel I install Clarkson riffles over the vortex because of the high volume of flow and the trommel only classifies to 1/2".

But when using my Keene A-52 sluice in my highbanker I'll just use the stock riffle tray over the Vortex. If I'm in an area with lots of sand then I classify down to 1/8" and use straight vortex mat with no riffle tray.

On my two stage 4" dredge I also use vortex on the bottom stage instead of carpet or miners moss or ribbed mat under miners moss.
Makes for a much easier clean up with much less gangue in the concentrates.

*Vortex mat is really just rough top conveyer belt that has been named Vortex because of it's active nature when used in a sluice.
I've been using it for the last few years and see no reason to ever go back to miners moss when it comes to recovering fine and flour gold.
Here in Indiana recovering fine and flour gold becomes our specialty or else we would go home empty handed.

GG~

Good day Goodyguy,

I've ordered up a big section of vortex from Global Industrial a while ago because I'm totally redoing my clean up sluices, but have yet to put it in anything to try it out. So have you tried t see if it works under expanded? If it does that would be great because you then have to vortex to hold the small gold and the expanded would hold the bigger gold that's to large for the vortex mat. I had thought about this before, but haven't had the time to look up or actually try it and see if the expanded would mess up the vortex exchange or not (heck I have a few lengths of various flavors of Gold Hog mat I haven't even had time to cut and put in my personal equipment!!!) I'm thinking the expanded would mess up the vortex mat, but like I said I just haven't had time to try yet. If you've tried this let me know, I'm curious.

Thanks in advance, Chris

I sometimes do use expanded over the vortex and I would recommend it when running bank run material because the expanded helps clean the gravels as they tumble over it.

And no, I have not seen any exchange problems while using expanded metal over the mat. However, as you know the angle and flow needs to be adjusted properly to avoid unnecessary buildup of lighter gravels that may get hung up on the expanded.

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back