Fun Farm Field Day with Forum Members!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was lucky enough to be invited to join Frank, Erik, and Angelika, for a farm field hunt outside of Kingston, New York. Frank scored a Large Cent and some buttons. Erik also scored one-half of a Large Cent (literally cut in half), a couple of buttons and a mystery relic. Angelika and I struck out on old coppers, but I did manage a neat button and a mystery item or two. It was very muddy, and at times I had to stop and dig it off my shoes with my shovel – Wow! A very tough Six-hours of detecting, but the great company always makes it fly by!

Attachments

• IMG-20121118-00217.jpg
    IMG-20121118-00217.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG-20121118-00219.jpg
    IMG-20121118-00219.jpg
    613.9 KB · Views: 196
  • kingston111812 001.jpg
    kingston111812 001.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 153
  • kingston111812 007.jpg
    kingston111812 007.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 142
  • kingston111812 004.jpg
    kingston111812 004.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG-20121118-00212.jpg
    IMG-20121118-00212.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 163
  • kingston111812 003.jpg
    kingston111812 003.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 6
Terry,

Good to see you made a few finds for your efforts....those field hunts can be brutal.

Regards + HH

Bill

Great finds guys. Terry your great for including others in your hunt. So many selfish hunters out there that won't include anyone. Wtg Terry! HH

Great finds guys. Terry your great for including others in your hunt. So many selfish hunters out there that won't include anyone. Wtg Terry! HH

Just want to give a shoutout to "FMERG" - Frank, who actually hosted all three of us in his home fields! This is my fourth or fifth time hunting up North as a guest of Frank, and I learn from him EVERY trip!. He has so many finds that the trunk of his car has better booty than some museums I've been to! Just today he showed me his complete, museum quality 1730-1750 shoe buckle that he dug looking for a corner post for a local farmer! Just an amazing metal detectorist!!

Who's the handsome guy in that yellow jacket?? :dontknow:

Oh, it's me--never mind :laughing7:

Yes, Frank was very gracious as usual in sharing his colonial fields. It was great meeting you Terry and the lovely Angelika--man she had more serious gear strapped to her than an Army Ranger! :laughing7: Nice to see a woman that dedicated to detecting. It was fun detecting with you guys today--we'll have to do it again before it gets too cold. You made some nice finds today too--keep us posted on some of those cool iron relics after they've had a bath in apple cider vingar.

sweet hunt even better when your with friends

A curiosity question for you Terry, What tesoro machine were you swinging out there?........63bkpkr

A curiosity question for you Terry, What tesoro machine were you swinging out there?........63bkpkr

I had two with me today. The one pictured is the Cibola, which I am starting to favor in many situations, as it is a deep machine with exceptional discrimination. I also had my Lobo Super Traq with me, and swung it for about an hour before going back to the Cibola. The LST is a gold nugget machine and EXTREMELY sensitive, so even when I'm knocking out iron with minimal discrimination below nickel, I still hit big deep iron with it. I should also say I have had my Sand Shark (PI) up there as well, and I have earned the nickname "Ironman" from Frank, as I have dug a lot of iron out of those fields. That's probably why he keeps inviting me up! :tongue3:

Who's the handsome guy in that yellow jacket?? :dontknow:

Oh, it's me--never mind :laughing7:

Yes, Frank was very gracious as usual in sharing his colonial fields. It was great meeting you Terry and the lovely Angelika--man she had more serious gear strapped to her than an Army Ranger! :laughing7: Nice to see a woman that dedicated to detecting. It was fun detecting with you guys today--we'll have to do it again before it gets too cold. You made some nice finds today too--keep us posted on some of those cool iron relics after they've had a bath in apple cider vingar.

Great meeting you as well Erik! I want to see that pocket knife after you clean it up! I'll throw the iron bowl in the ACV tomorrow, and thanks for the head's up on that. Gotta love Angelika! I think her CTX 3030 weighs more than she does!

Nice finds guys!! Looks like you had a good time!! Haven't hit field yet, but looking forward to checking one out not to far from me.

I agree that it was a great thing for someone to share the "wealth" of a hunting spot. But don't be too harsh with some who choose not to, for, ya see, there are quite a few out there who greedily take more than was intended.

What do I mean? Well, even though I do share, I still recall being hurt several times when I was beginning this hobby. Being new and a bit naive, I didn't recognize the type. Basically, I was used by a couple of old, greedy, deceitful detectorists. (You KNOW who you are! ;) )

I did all the research, found some WONDERFUL places and THEY would "willingly" go when I invited to check out a new place. Then, they would go back after we quit for the day and sometimes hunt ALL NIGHT LONG! Or go on days when I couldn't go. AND, they were NOT very considerate of the ground they were hunting. The places looked like a riot had come to town! :(

This happened a few times and they always explained it away as "those damned sneaks" got us again!!! Until, one day, the kindly old pastor of this beautiful little church I found came out and said he decided to not allow this hobby there. After I talked with him a while he told me, "It wasn't you. But, your friends who were out there all last night." To his credit, he recognized the horror in my face and the ANGER, of one who had just had an awakening. He told me it would be OK for me to hunt but only during the day while he was there. He also told me that any activities after dark and the constable would be notified. (I don't know if that ever happened because I didn't give them that information. ;) )

I know that was a long time ago but if you don't believe it still happens, just read today's posts. There was one that reminded me of the symptom. Something was "very suspect".

Should we share? Sure, if you trust the parties. Just remember, there are some who do EVERYTHING possible to take it ALL!

Sorry about the post hijack, it's not intentional. I've just been burned once too often and this is too close to home.

Thanks!
HH!

hunting a farm field that is well over 1000 acres i really dont have to worry about some one jumping on it
what i have found is that there will be spots may 10 to 15 acres that produce and then nothing
also the farmers still use rock salt in our area

Hey all and thanks for sharing your adventure! It is nice when friends can come together and share the goodness that we are and have!

whadifind, so sorry you had folks not very respectful of your kindness. I have hunted with some, you show them a good find, they get all mad! LOL! Cracks me up! (In fact, I can't even LOOK at any more of Gary Draytons finds, he is tearing up my beach something awful and doing GREAT! I been sick and it's just bugging me out, I can't get out there! lol! I'm very glad he's doing well though!)
BangHead.gif
laughing7.gif

Thanks again for sharing and HH!
cat.gif

Hey all and thanks for sharing your adventure! It is nice when friends can come together and share the goodness that we are and have!

whadifind, so sorry you had folks not very respectful of your kindness. I have hunted with some, you show them a good find, they get all mad! LOL! Cracks me up!
Thanks again for sharing and HH!

Ah well, lesson learned. :dontknow: :)

I know what you mean about the ones who invite you to a place to hunt and then get mad when you find something decent. But, there are a few reasons why that happens.

1.) It shouts the aspect of "NYA NYA Look what you missed! " ;) LOL
2.) They only invited you to a place they figured was all hunted out. Hoping that you wouldn't know that and would feel obligated to offer them a spot. ;)
3.) Also, how DARE you find something decent on MY spot!!! LOL ;)
4.) Lastly, they think "MAN! I would've found that myself! If I hadn't let you in!" :)
(all of the above is tongue in cheek, sort of. ;) )

Thanks for the sympathy and response. Believe it or not, although I've been used a lot in my life, I'm not as bitter as one might be. :)

HH!

Looks like a fun hunt. Neat mystery relic. :icon_thumright: Glad you TNet folks got together.

HH

Looks like a fun hunt. Neat mystery relic. :icon_thumright: Glad you TNet folks got together.

HH

Thanks Anne! It was a fun day. The "mystery relic" is a horse rein guide and you can see it on the "What Is It?" forum as well as the older pocket knife I found. How did you fare in the old "bean field" that keeps on giving? :occasion14:

Looks like you guys had an awesome time together. I just love working a wide open field like that. The scenery and fresh air alone is worth the trip!!!

Ah well, lesson learned. :dontknow: :)

I know what you mean about the ones who invite you to a place to hunt and then get mad when you find something decent. But, there are a few reasons why that happens.

1.) It shouts the aspect of "NYA NYA Look what you missed! " ;) LOL
2.) They only invited you to a place they figured was all hunted out. Hoping that you wouldn't know that and would feel obligated to offer them a spot. ;)
3.) Also, how DARE you find something decent on MY spot!!! LOL ;)
4.) Lastly, they think "MAN! I would've found that myself! If I hadn't let you in!" :)
(all of the above is tongue in cheek, sort of. ;) )

Thanks for the sympathy and response. Believe it or not, although I've been used a lot in my life, I'm not as bitter as one might be. :)

HH!

Yep. Had one of those recently. He said that his site was colonial, which it most certainly wasnt. Might've been c.1870 or 80, or perhaps even as early as Civil War, although none of us recovered any finds that were that old. Of course, he regaled us with stories about what had been dug there, but to be honest, I am no spring chicken, and I know that the finds he talked about did not come up there. The signs of a site that old just weren't there. And after a couple hours on the site, I was starting to get a little fumed that I had been lied to. That guy kept saying to my buddy and I "This spot to us is like your colonial tavern site is to you." Implying that after we hunted his worked-out spot, we should let him on our 11 spanish silver spot! :D We hunted all day there in over 100 degree heat over the summer, and got between us no keepers except for a well-worn shield nickel and some pretty pottery shards. I don't think I found a single keeper for my display case. But the straw that broke the camel's back was when my diggin buddy's son (who is 11) eyeballed a flat button that one of them had dropped by the truck (they are the type that toss their finds back in the field if it is something they think is trash before they even take it home and clean it up to investigate. I'm sure the farmers appreciate seeing their trash piles near where they park.). At any rate, they didn't realize I was within earshot when they were complaining about how they must surely have dropped the button, and how it was really theirs. I thought to myself, if they come and take that flat button from an 11 year old boy, that's it. >:(

Needless to say, most of us know the signs that bad news is coming when finding a new hunting buddy. And if folks don't know the signs, they haven't been had yet.

On the positive side, it looks like y'all had a great trip. And yes, it's great to share fields and finds with good friends. I'm inviting friends to come up to hunt with me this winter. The folks who offer are seldom the ones who take advantage. It's the ones who pester and ask to go who always seem to be trouble. ;) Congrats on some Fantastic friendship and great finds!

Cheers,

Buck

Last edited:
Didn't read it all, but the bottom picture, right hand piece is part of a Crotal Bell.

Didn't read it all, but the bottom picture, right hand piece is part of a Crotal Bell.

Yes, that is a piece of a larger "Petal Bell," Crusader, thank you. The thing next to it is what I can't figure out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back