Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Colonial/Draped Bust/Classic Head HALF Cent- All in ONE COIN-UPDATED

Yesterday I went back to a new homestead I found only 4 early 1800 era buttons at last week. I started off with a almost good copper reading, and when I looked at it, I thought it was a large button at first, especially since its tone and visual ID were a tad low for a good large copper. But after looking at it a bit, I thought perhaps since it had what appeared to be a rim, that it was a King George I copper. So, put it in my envelope and continued hunting.

I got a few lead and pewter unknowns, then 3 more buttons, one a very nice plain button but had the great backmark with the crown on it. I have found quite a few like this over the years, and always enjoy finding them.

When I got home I took some photographs after I tried cleaning the coin in peroxide, and it came out as in the photos attached. I have since then applied some wax, which in person, I can see the details much better, but dang if I can get a better photograph so, will have to go with my intially cleaned photos for identifying this coin.

After spending perhaps 8 or more hours looking at the coin and photos, I have reached the conclusion that I have a coin, but will never know what to call it.

Here is what all I think this coin is and what happened to it.

The copper appears to be a possible King George III counterfeit planchet, due to the size and weight, oh, the size is 27.5mm and it weighs 96.5 grains. I base this assumption on the size and the fact that I believe I see a raised date on the rim of the Obverse side of this coin, all other letters and markings are INDENTED on this coin. So I believe the original was a 1700 era copper and going with odds a KGIII counterfeit.

OBSERVATION of the Obverse side of the coin has many STARS on it and a HEAD BAND with the letters of LIBERTY almost visible. The Obverse was struck at least two times since the STARS are in different locations.
Based on the closeness of the stars and the shape of the head band, I concluded the Obverse side is that of a Classic Head Large Cent.
Again all the stars and the headband with lettering is indented and the letters are backwards.
Near the rim I see a possible date from the original coin, hard to see but could be a 17__

OBSERVATION of the Reverse side of the coin shows several letters, backwards of course, most evident is OF you will see the F is backwards, the O would not matter.
Now the intriguing part of this whole coin is the fact that the Obverse side is a Classic Head Large Cent, but the Reverse side is not!
You can see a Wreath, looks double struck and maybe even double struck 180* the second time, but what is intriguing is there is a Ribbon at the bottom of the wreath, with the remains of the fraction 1/100, you can see the 00 and maybe a 1 but again it is backwards. Can also see A next to the ribbon which is the last A in AMERCIA. There are some other letters visible on the coin but the bottom line is, the Reverse is that of a Draped Bust or Liberty Cap Large Cent!!

Conclusions: Someone back in the early 1800's took a typical counterfeit King George III Halfpenny and then took a Liberty Cap or Draped Bust Large Cent and put it on top of the KG copper, REVERSE side up.

On the bottom side they put a Classic Head Large Cent with the OBVERSE side up.

So they had two different Large Cents on either side of the KG copper, then they must have hammered to sandwich together to impress the details of each of the coins onto the KG copper.

Everything came out backwards, also it looks like they did not do the job good enough the first time so they did it a second time but did not align the coins up identical thus the off center striking and confusion on alignments.

So, this plain ole dirty copper for some unknown reason, perhaps boredom was mutilated into something that is weird, unusual and I am glad I found it, despite its shape, like Kirk said, it's the history, and in this case the mystery. :)

I am attaching some photos showing how impression look in backwards appearance to give an idea of what went on.
I am still surprised that the coin had two different types of Large Cents on it. The easiest way for me to say something was weird, well, Liberty Cap coins with those style of wreaths do not have stars on the Obverse, and all the coins that have stars on , the Classic Head, and Coronets , all have stars, but have no ribbons on the wreath, just stems......

I want to add, that the lowest weight of any Large Cent regardless of type is 10.89 grams and this coin is about 6.2 grams.

Now, for my log book, what the heck do I call this coin??? :) a 1770-1814 KGIIIDrapedBustClassicHead Copper? ???

Don

Attachments

• Apr7hunt2.jpg
    Apr7hunt2.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 1,031
  • April7buttonfinds.jpg
    April7buttonfinds.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 1,017
  • ComparisonPhotosFinisProduct.jpg
    ComparisonPhotosFinisProduct.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 1,020
Upvote 0
Re: A Colonial/Draped Bust/Classic Head Large Cent- All in ONE COIN

That in one interesting find Don. I think it's safe to say that you'll never find another one like it. That coin is one of a kind. Great find!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's a really nice find Don

HH Jer

Nice find/s :)

HH

Hey Don,

boy you sure don't disappoint ! very interesting stuff

ya have to wonder "why" someone would have done something like that ... it would be cool to find the other two coins though - wouldn't it ?

take care

kevin

vpone said:
Hey Don,

boy you sure don't disappoint ! very interesting stuff

ya have to wonder "why" someone would have done something like that ... it would be cool to find the other two coins though - wouldn't it ?

take care

kevin

Thanks, It sure gave me some interesting research and eye strain! :tongue3: I was thinking the same thing not long ago and wonder what happened to those coins, and what shape were they left in, but you know what, it is very possibly the coin was mutilated somewhere else and this coin just happened to end up at this site and be lost or thrown away there. No way of knowing for sure.
I kept looking at the reverse side for the noted dots of a 1793, but just could not see them, so I feel good that they did not destroy that year at least.
I only wish it had been in better shape, sure would have been a beautiful display coin if it had been,and easier to ID. I never thought that it would be two different types of coin, but I guess the person who did it, probably had a Draped Bust and Classic Head on him at the time and he wanted to make the worn out counterfeit KG back into a useable Large Cent and figured, what the heck, use the Obverse of one coin and the Reverse of another since he had to hammer them together at the same time. Sounds like a scenario in my opinion. :)

Don

i would put it under one of a kind incredible find Don congrats and hh

Nice finds Don......Question. It seems that all your locations look the same. Generally in the woods, cellar holes etc. Did you locate a Colonial Ghosttown or something? It amazes me everytime you show pics of your locations. Just about everyone of Zoyboys research areas look completely different from the last.
Chris

Colonial Silver Zeus said:
Nice finds Don......Question. It seems that all your locations look the same. Generally in the woods, cellar holes etc. Did you locate a Colonial Ghosttown or something? It amazes me everytime you show pics of your locations. Just about everyone of Zoyboys research areas look completely different from the last.
Chris

Most all are wooded, not very many old fields in this area, alot of the areas we hunt were fields in the 1700's and early to mid 1800's, then abandoned and forest reclaimed the land, but for some reason most of the actual homesites either grow up heavily in greenbriar or stay relatively underbrush free in the immediate home area. Many sites seem to look the same but there are vast differences and have found no old colonial ghostowns in years, LOL, wish I could....

Don in SJ said:
Colonial Silver Zeus said:
Chris

Most all are wooded, not very many old fields in this area, alot of the areas we hunt were fields in the 1700's and early to mid 1800's, then abandoned and forest reclaimed the land, but for some reason most of the actual homesites either grow up heavily in greenbriar or stay relatively underbrush free in the immediate home area. Many sites seem to look the same but there are vast differences and have found no old colonial ghostowns in years, LOL, wish I could....
Thanks Don..Those areas look like the type of areas that I love to detect. Do you have a local problem with Lyme disease(deer ticks) ? We have quite a bit here. Last year when I found my 1806 German 6 Kreuzer it was a similarly wooded area. Both Kyle and I had deer ticks on us at the end of the hunt.
Chris

wow you got lucky there! That is a truley interesting find. To bad you couldn't clean the coin up better. Maybe go into a coin shop and see what they say about cleaning this coin to try and get a picture out of it.

Ticks? They get horrendous in this part of the state, one reason my main hunting time is Mid October thru early May, and then the underbrush growth and ticks can have the sites. I can wear the REPEL treated clothing, which works great, but it can only be on clothing or it will burn your skin, so warm weather and REPEL not perfect together so I only hunt less underbrushed areas and rarely hunt at all in the summer months.
I grew up in Pennsylvania, and ticks there are almost non-existant in most parts I hunted and fished compared to the thick underbrush woods of southern New Jersey. :(

Don

Great stuff Don i wish you were my dad but that would make you seventy something ::)

Don, that is one of the most INTERESTING coins I have every seen. . . and the odds of
finding something one-of-a-kind like that, well, I'd go out and buy a quick-pick lotto ticket.

Extremely neat!
watercolor

i dont know what to make of that find. one thing is for sure........its a one of a kind! and a great conversation piece!

WOW DON, YOUR ALWAYS AMAZING. YOU ARE A TRUE PRO.............PACO

Don... You never cease to amaze me... Fantastic idea to use an impression (try and reverse the image in your photo software editing software)
That was a brilliant post! Simply genius! I would have never thought to do that :) I'm off to find some "Silly Putty" :D

Not only is this a rare find, but it was found by a rare hunter, the one and only Don in SJ. :thumbsup: I love your style of hunting...and I love you, buddy! :D :-* :thumbsup:

Keep on sweeping at that dwelling with your never-ending Colonial fever! :icon_sunny:

Kyle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back