Percussion Cap Hammer

mmelugin

Feb 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting a (currently) empty field today I found this. After looking for awhile and not getting any signals at all, I had to check my gear to make sure it was working. I finally got an iron hit and decided to dig it just because I was bored. I think it's a hammer from an old percussion cap rifle or pistol. Not sure when they stopped making these but it could be oldest MD find.

Attachments

• image-2667105930.jpg
    image-2667105930.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 124
  • image-1431972471.jpg
    image-1431972471.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 1
metal_detector_searching.gif
Nice find mmelugin! Darn, that Percussion Cap Hammer is neat. I wonder if the rest of the rifle is in the ground...

Well I sure looked. I will be back there again. It's not something I expected to find out here in the west.

are you in a heavy fur trade area?

It's not as common in the west but don't forget people did live out this way and it was explored and lived in for a long time California was a state with a decent size military presence before any wars. I know grant and a lot of other generals were stationed West before the war

Not in a fur trade area. I guess I never imagine that type gun associated with the ranch areas in NorCal. Until now that is. Any ideas on time of manufacture?

Hard for me to tell but I know a lot of 1850's era parts look like that but were reused from previous models and used well past then too. What part of nor cal are you from?

Hard for me to tell but I know a lot of 1850's era parts look like that but were reused from previous models and used well past then too. What part of nor cal are you from?

Nevada County. Grass valley area

I love that area. I'd guess its a drop from the gold rush time maybe remember thousands of people came

Very nice finds
goodjob.gif
goodluck.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back