Waterproof Grey Ghost or Minelab?

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I own a CTX 3030 again I am wondering of these two the Grey Ghost or the Minelab Waterproof which ones are louder?
I owned the Grey Ghost before and had problems hearing them when boats where near or high wind and surf.
And from what I been reading I think the amphibians where a bust and not loud either.

I have the Grey Ghost amphibians on my 3030 and they are plenty loud enough.............

Any chance can you do a video showing how to build them and the difference in loudness?

I hope oldbeechnut doesn't mind me quoting him from another Forum but this is what I read.

"Tested on the CTX at the detector shop in Ocean View Delaware, they work fine. But because of my lack of experience with the CTX I'm sending out a couple sets to 2 hunters for some test results before I do anymore, both hunters should be able to give me and others a fair report, Thanks. Bav24502 and HullGuitars

My quick 5 minutes with the CTX test. Very Clear tones, but audio was not as loud as I had hoped for so that is why I'm passing this on to someone who has all of the UW headphones for the CTX. Bav......."

Last edited:
I hear from an expert source that the Grey Ghosts Amphibians are the way to go on the 3030. I have a pair of GG Amphibians on my Excal 1000 and they are great. Don't bother with just the waterproof GG's though as they are not nearly as good as the GG Amp's.

I hear from an expert source that the Grey Ghosts Amphibians are the way to go on the 3030. I have a pair of GG Amphibians on my Excal 1000 and they are great. Don't bother with just the waterproof GG's though as they are not nearly as good as the GG Amp's.

Your correct, the GG Underwater have a limiter in them that limits the volume, not loud enough when you have wind and surf noise unless you remove the limiter...

I have the Grey Ghost amphibians on my 3030 and they are plenty loud enough.............

I have a used pair. But I have found that yes they are not that loud. Surf and wind did prohibit the sound coming from them. But then my hearing is not what it used to be too.

I have a used pair. But I have found that yes they are not that loud. Surf and wind did prohibit the sound coming from them. But then my hearing is not what it used to be too.

Are you sure you have the Amphibians, you have to custom install the adapter on end of Amphibians audio cord to get it to work on the 3030. Grey Ghost sells a pair that is already wired for the 3030, but that is the divers model and it has the limiter in it which makes it very quiet.... The Amphibians have a voice control knob on the master ear muff...

Are you sure you have the Amphibians, you have to custom install the adapter on end of Amphibians audio cord to get it to work on the 3030. Grey Ghost sells a pair that is already wired for the 3030, but that is the divers model and it has the limiter in it which makes it very quiet.... The Amphibians have a voice control knob on the master ear muff...

They are the ones built for the 3030. No controls.

Your correct, the GG Underwater have a limiter in them that limits the volume, not loud enough when you have wind and surf noise unless you remove the limiter...

Not really a limiter but a audio coil to make them universal to all detectors. Like the Sovereign, piezo's based headphones will not work on the sovereign, so to make sure they put the little coil inside the ear cup to make them work with all detectors.

Any chance can you do a video showing how to build them and the difference in loudness?

I hope oldbeechnut doesn't mind me quoting him from another Forum but this is what I read.

"Tested on the CTX at the detector shop in Ocean View Delaware, they work fine. But because of my lack of experience with the CTX I'm sending out a couple sets to 2 hunters for some test results before I do anymore, both hunters should be able to give me and others a fair report, Thanks. Bav24502 and HullGuitars

My quick 5 minutes with the CTX test. Very Clear tones, but audio was not as loud as I had hoped for so that is why I'm passing this on to someone who has all of the UW headphones for the CTX. Bav......."

Little chart to show how weak some of the ops are for the CTX then compare to the Excalibur

OBN0358.jpgOBN0357.jpg

NEVER MIND found it in minelabs knowledge base.
PIN 2 Audio Tip Pin 3 Audio Ring then in the Pic below it shows Pin 4 headphone sense that looks like it is jumped to Pin 3? So I would connect pin 3 and 4 together and the outside speaker will shut off?

OK So I got some Amphibians in and took two wires and stuck them into the CTX connector and then touched them to the headphones. I got sound but the outside speaker still stayed on? I am assuming some how the outside speaker gets shut off when doing this MOD? From my quick test they didn't sound any louder then the CTX grey ghost I had. I don't want to cut the cord on the garretts just in case they are no louder so What are the 3 wires in the PIC for?

OBN0240.jpg

Last edited:
WOW!!!!!
I think I figured it out got the outside speaker to go off by doing the pins jumped and the headphones are really loud now!
Thanks now I can have a set of waterproof headphones that I can actually hear :)
Why they don't make these amphibians for the CTX I will never know.

Last edited:
WOW!!!!!
I think I figured it out got the outside speaker to go off by doing the pins jumped and the headphones are really loud now!
Thanks now I can have a set of waterproof headphones that I can actually hear :)
Why they don't make these amphibians for the CTX I will never know.

Yep you have to do the jumper...

Anyone use the Gel Pads on the GG's or GGA's? Thanks...

Anyone use the Gel Pads on the GG's or GGA's? Thanks...
They fit but not perfect. But work great. Only problem with the Gels, I've been using them on all my sets for many years and seems three years is the limit on longevity. ALso the style of really makes a difference in blocking the noise.

OBN, I ordered and installed the David Clark Gel Pads you recommended from Sunrise Aviation. They look and work GREAT! Thanks

IMG_3137.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back