the real use for plummets

Well... I don't know if it's just my computer.. But it was Printed so that the lines Overlapped each other. Very difficult to read at all. But what I did read Was.... one Guy with the opinion that they were charmstones "which is not new" who also said his talks to him. Hmmmmm... ok. ( I've never seen one archaeological report that stated one was ever found in association with a body.. in the neck area.) I just checked on the credentials of the person who wrote that. It's just a guy that runs a website selling jewelry.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about plummets or charm stones, but that article kinda sounded like a sales pitch.

It was... that's all it was. I checked on the guys credentials. It's just some guy who sells jewelry online.

My plummets all spoke to me. They said, "Pick me up!":laughing7:
Have I posted more of my plums on here before, I can't remember? When you see so many different materials, shapes, grooves, sizes it gets even more confusing to think about exactly what each one was made for. All of mine are from Tampa Bay region.; What they used them for here could be different than other areas.

Ha ha.. I think I heard one say that too.

Wow that was a great link, Nat.! I just finished it.

natchitoches said:

I appreciate the link.. it was quite a bit to read but I did. It was amazing how many times I read the words.."assumed" and "perhaps" the one thing that I think that report came close to proving is that the drilled examples are likely a different class of artifact alltogether.

Well... I don't know if it's just my computer.. But it was Printed so that the lines Overlapped each other. Very difficult to read at all. But what I did read Was.... one Guy with the opinion that they were charmstones "which is not new" who also said his talks to him. Hmmmmm... ok. ( I've never seen one archaeological report that stated one was ever found in association with a body.. in the neck area.) I just checked on the credentials of the person who wrote that. It's just a guy that runs a website selling jewelry.

I couldn't help myself...go back and read his "bio" ...I'll tell you one thing for sure...his mama didn't name him "Grey Eagle"

i am sure some was use as a plum bob out in the 4 connor area,
out there thay made huge builds that line out with the sun and moon and other building miles away.

I thought about this for a while... I want to say.. I'm not one of those people who ascribe to an idea and close my mind to everything else.. so to play devils advocate... on the subject of using plummets with a groove or a knob as a sinker.. it seems to me something perishable like hide or fabric could have been wrapped around the plummet and tired off on the groove or knob leaving a small tag end that could be perforated and the fishing line tied to that.

i really think thay had at less 3 to 4 use at less that many
plum bob, fishing sinkers ,maybe something thay use to hold the tipi flap door open,or even something to keep a heave leather coat close,a toy

Well,, i've found a few charmstones in central Calif. around Tule lake. they say that the lake was so shallow that a 5 to 10 mph wind
could change the shoreline up tp a 1/4 mile soooo the tribe would hang charmstones around their village,when the water rose
and touched the stone the water was suppose to stop and not flood the village
well thats what I heard Jonesy:unhappysmiley:

I hear my hardstone pieces actually moving the furniture around in the middle of the night... But I feel a little justified now- at my long and rambling theory on how good, well made and beautiful objects could be multi-purpose (on Gater's 5-page thread concerning his pottery piece). Especially if needs changed. Just like the point about the screwdriver. But really...charmstones? Yeah, right. We all know they preferred rabbits' feet...8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back