Removing stones from jewelry? Tips/Advice?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Does anyone here have any experience w/this?

What kind of tools do you need?

What about stones held in with adhesives as well as clasps?

How do you avoid scratching the gems? I am assuming this might not be too big a problem with diamonds given their hardness.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
DESERT DOG said:
why remove the stones :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Because I want to send the stuff off for refining and I want to be able to properly calculate total scrap price. There have been a couple of threads here recently discussing the confusion that can arise with these refineries.

Or maybe I just don't feel like giving away free diamonds to a refinery since some don't return the stones at all.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diamonds are usually held in place with prongs, you can open them with a tiny screwdriver, just give them a tap or two. If you're worried about scratching other stones, a little piece of masking tape should do the trick.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the above works... there is a tool called a prong pusher thats a bit safer on the knuckles and fits in the hand better.

530146.jpg

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
dallgire said:
just send the jewelry to me hombre i will be sure to keep it say! :laughing7:

How can I have enough trust to send you jewelry when you won't even grant me the common courtesy to drive down here to Georgia for an afternoon of metal detecting?

P.S. Less than two weeks remain until the Gamecocks crushing defeat in Athens.

N2CU

Feb 13, 2011
Orchard Park, Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F70, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just used a small pair of wire cutters. Grip the prong along its length and bend it away from the stone.

N2CU

Feb 13, 2011
Orchard Park, Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F70, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...or send them to ARA where they chemically remove the stones, sort them and return them at no charge (so I'm told).

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a tool called a prong lifter, can be seen on Rio Grande jewelry website www.riogrande.com. For bezel set stones a tool called a burnisher is used to open up the bezel. For glued in stones, some kind of solvent like acetone will eat the glue. Hope this helps, Niffler

dallgire

Jul 17, 2011
Around Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
rather not say! lol ;)
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
dallgire said:
just send the jewelry to me hombre i will be sure to keep it say! :laughing7:

How can I have enough trust to send you jewelry when you won't even grant me the common courtesy to drive down here to Georgia for an afternoon of metal detecting?

P.S. Less than two weeks remain until the Gamecocks crushing defeat in Athens.

you told me you lived in sc! I got lost! I dont see you making any moves either in all fairness!

P.S. Yes you are right we will have a crushing defeat in athens! 24-10 Gamecocks!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't or can't find a prong pusher, Radio shack has a tool for straightening electronic component legs. It works pretty good, made of aluminum alloy. Price is right. They have small needle nose pliers that are great for spreading prongs, opening rings etc. Also small nippers / wire cutters that work well.

As far as glue MEK works great, laquer thinner comes in second (imho). The only drawback on glass stones with the foil back is the foil comes off with the glue. But since they're junk it doesn't really matter.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a pair of jewelers pliers online for a few bucks. Just google jewelry tools and you should be able to aquire anything you need for this. Good Luck Hombre,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread