NOKTA MAKRO LEGEND VS XP DEUS II REAL WORLD TESTING

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Now go back with the Legend and go over where the D2 was. You never get it all but you say because the Legend missed it but you then found it with the D2 the D2 is better? Like I said, go back with the Legend.

Last edited:

Peterw

Aug 9, 2015
Blairsville Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now go back with the Legend and go over where the D2 was. You never get it all but you say because the Legend missed it but you then found it with the D2 the D2 is better? Like I said, go back with the Legend.
Smoke, mirrors, snake oil anyone?
Exactly my thought. All good machines but test beds aren't in field use ,,I'm seeing paystreak tear it up with the Legend so in field live videos ,,,,so I gotta go with the actual finds and not the science of test bed results

Last edited:

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to Calabash for continuing to post informative information.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly my thought. All good machines but test beds aren't in field use ,,I'm seeing paystreak tear it up with the Legend so in field live videos ,,,,so I gotta go with the actual finds and not the science of test bed results
Keep in perspective the Paystreak is using a 6" coil on a metal detector on sidewalk strips and parks. Throw a 6" coil on a lot of machines and you will get the exact same results. He isn't doing anything ground breaking with the Legend that you couldn't do with about a dozen other machines. I've seen him pull a couple items out of the iron but without checking that hole with another machine it's difficult to say as I regularly have this happen with several machines. Its certainly a good sign but nothing amazing. If anything he is pointing out the flawed design of releasing a machine with an oversized coil (that is basically used for collecting dust unless your on a clean soccer field) where the manufacture is probably hoping to impress with Depth but the machine really can't separate at a level that is usable in iron or moderate/heavy trash. If it could he wouldn't need that tiny coil. Maybe they should have release it with a 8/9" coil and found a happy medium. Also take a close look at the vdi when targets are found are you able to tell whats in the ground? I haven't seen too many targets yet where I was like "yep that's a silver dime" Its because the VDI is either jumpy or too close on U.S. Coins - if that is important to you - I dunno to me that is kind of the point of VDI. - Even my Etrac with a 6" DD coil is a completely different machine in terms of separation vs the stock coil. I'm not saying it can compete with modern machines in terms of speed but it wouldn't show a true representation of the capabilities of that machine if I posted videos of my finding targets with an extra $120 coil. So Legend owners need to know he is using a $765 dollar machine with those finds. Paystreak is a very seasoned metal detectorist and he knows that if he is digging 90% of the targets under his coil and hunting 6-8 hours a day then he is going to find some keepers for video it's inevitable. In fairness he doesn't shy away from showing the amount of trash he digs either. Throw a 10 year old T2 with a 6" coil in his hands you would get the exact same results. It's probably a really good machine for under $800 but we should probably not be having a conversation about it's ability in comparison to the DII. XP is the king of hunting in IRON and it's looking more and more like they now own the beach as well.

Last edited:

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Perhaps if the 6" Deus2 coil was tested against the 6" Legend coil?

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, Calabash Digger takes a top of the line, undisputed best relic detector in iron trashed sites (Deus 1 has been since it was introduced and Deus 2 is no different) to an iron trashed old home site in mild dirt and compares it to a Nokta Makro Legend just because someone who owns both detectors and has tested them on their sites prefers the Legend.

So the best iron trashed site relic detector in the world against a very good Turkish Army Knife detector (absolutely no offense implied or intended) whose specialty/specialties are yet to be determined. Nokta Makro have already said that the iron bias feature is not complete and that adjustable iron bias setting software is on the way soon. So again, the best relic detector for iron trashed sites in the world against a new detector that needs an iron bias update........

This one is easy to call.

Calabash knows all of this. However, he puts the Deus 2 into Deus 2 Fast with PWM Pitch tones, so really dynamic PWM audio along with really dynamic VCO pitch audio. Legend is running Field M2 in Full tones which are roughly equivalent to Deus 2's Square Wave audio which is much less dynamic than PWM coupled with VCO audio at reactivity 3........and the Legend is hampered with a fixed, middle of the road, iron bias setting that is more likely to call a partially iron masked non-ferrous target as ferrous.

Again, this one is easy to call.

Some here may say he is just showing how good the Deus 2 is since it has so many feature choices........I agree.

Some may say that since Calabash doesn't like to be even slightly disagreed with, he is rubbing it in.......I agree.

Some may say, if you are going to do a head to head, set them up with head to head settings.......I agree.

Teach us something......not everyone can afford both detectors or even one of them, instead of just dismissing one detector. Some people don't like PWM audio since it really bothers them from a subjective standpoint. Thank you XP, for adding the option of choosing Square Wave audio on Deus 2 !!!!! Maybe the person who chose the Legend over the Deus 2 doesn't like PWM audio either and did their testing in Square Wave audio only on less iron trashed sites and doesn't see a big difference.........

Put Deus 2 in Fast, with Square Wave full tone audio if you insist on using the Legend in Field M2 in Square Wave full tone audio for starters and like others here have said, go over all of the targets with both detectors. Nokta Makro set the default tone choice for Field mode at 2 tones, ferrous/non ferrous for a reason and personally I would use that setting in an iron trashed site but that is just me......anyway head to head should be as fair as possible instead of comparing head to head one brand of AR 15 with no scope and another brand of AR 15 with an expensive scope on a 400 yard target.......duh.

Calabash again, missed an opportunity here to actually teach potential owners of both detectors. Instead, as usual, he just preached the same sermon.

Last edited:

Peterw

Aug 9, 2015
Blairsville Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in perspective the Paystreak is using a 6" coil on a metal detector on sidewalk strips and parks. Throw a 6" coil on a lot of machines and you will get the exact same results. He isn't doing anything ground breaking with the Legend that you couldn't do with about a dozen other machines. I've seen him pull a couple items out of the iron but without checking that hole with another machine it's difficult to say as I regularly have this happen with several machines. Its certainly a good sign but nothing amazing. If anything he is pointing out the flawed design of releasing a machine with an oversized coil (that is basically used for collecting dust unless your on a clean soccer field) where the manufacture is probably hoping to impress with Depth but the machine really can't separate at a level that is usable in iron or moderate/heavy trash. If it could he wouldn't need that tiny coil. Maybe they should have release it with a 8/9" coil and found a happy medium. Also take a close look at the vdi when targets are found are you able to tell whats in the ground? I haven't seen too many targets yet where I was like "yep that's a silver dime" Its because the VDI is either jumpy or too close on U.S. Coins - if that is important to you - I dunno to me that is kind of the point of VDI. - Even my Etrac with a 6" DD coil is a completely different machine in terms of separation vs the stock coil. I'm not saying it can compete with modern machines in terms of speed but it wouldn't show a true representation of the capabilities of that machine if I posted videos of my finding targets with an extra $120 coil. So Legend owners need to know he is using a $765 dollar machine with those finds. Paystreak is a very seasoned metal detectorist and he knows that if he is digging 90% of the targets under his coil and hunting 6-8 hours a day then he is going to find some keepers for video it's inevitable. In fairness he doesn't shy away from showing the amount of trash he digs either. Throw a 10 year old T2 with a 6" coil in his hands you would get the exact same results. It's probably a really good machine for under $800 but we should probably not be having a conversation about it's ability in comparison to the DII. XP is the king of hunting in IRON and it's looking more and more like they now own the beach as well.
Everything you said applies to every machine on the market tho.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything you said applies to every machine on the market tho.
Yes you are right and I think that was my lenghty point - If your hunting parks and curb strips doesn't matter much could be an AT pro, F75 with a small coil applies to almost every machine, but you can't take all those machines diving and hunt in wet sand, prospecting and do well in the iron with 1 coil. Not trying to justify that everyone spend $1600 I'm just saying we not comparing two equal machines. I'd like to hear more about what the Anfibio owners think of the legend I think that would be a more interesting heads-up comparison.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, Calabash Digger takes a top of the line, undisputed best relic detector in iron trashed sites (Deus 1 has been since it was introduced and Deus 2 is no different) to an iron trashed old home site in mild dirt and compares it to a Nokta Makro Legend just because someone who owns both detectors and has tested them on their sites prefers the Legend.

So the best iron trashed site relic detector in the world against a very good Turkish Army Knife detector (absolutely no offense implied or intended) whose specialty/specialties are yet to be determined. Nokta Makro have already said that the iron bias feature is not complete and that adjustable iron bias setting software is on the way soon. So again, the best relic detector for iron trashed sites in the world against a new detector that needs an iron bias update........

This one is easy to call.

Calabash knows all of this. However, he puts the Deus 2 into Deus 2 Fast with PWM Pitch tones, so really dynamic PWM audio along with really dynamic VCO pitch audio. Legend is running Field M2 in Full tones which are roughly equivalent to Deus 2's Square Wave audio which is much less dynamic than PWM coupled with VCO audio at reactivity 3........and the Legend is hampered with a fixed, middle of the road, iron bias setting that is more likely to call a partially masked non-ferrous target as ferrous.

Again, this one is easy to call.

Some here may say he is just showing how good the Deus is since it has so many feature choices........I agree.

Some may say, if you are going to do a head to head, set them up with head to head settings.......I agree.

Teach us something......not everyone can afford both detectors or even one of them, instead of just dismissing one detector. Some people don't like PWM audio since it really bothers them from a subjective standpoint. Thank you XP, for adding the option of choosing Square Wave audio on Deus 2 !!!!! Maybe the person who chose the Legend over the Deus 2 doesn't like PWM audio either and did their testing in Square Wave audio only on less iron trashed sites and doesn't see a big difference.........

Put Deus 2 in Fast, with Square Wave full tone audio if you insist on using the Legend in Field M2 in Square Wave full tone audio for starters and like others here have said, go over all of the targets with both detectors. Nokta Makro set the default tone choice for Field mode at 2 tones, ferrous/non ferrous for a reason and personally I would use that setting in an iron trashed site but that is just me......anyway head to head should be as fair as possible instead of comparing head to head one brand of AR 15 with no scope and another brand of AR 15 with an expensive scope on a 400 yard target.......duh.

Calabash again, missed an opportunity here to actually teach potential owners of both detectors. Instead, as usual, he just preached the same sermon.

The only comparisons with any value to me are blind-tests in actual locations, detecting first with one machine, then again with another, before anything is ever dug. Test beds and air tests are useless.

I agree testing first with both detectors set using the closest head-to-head adjustments possible is helpful, but that's only part of the story. Sure, it's great to know that when both are set the same they both either preform equally well, or one preforms better than the other, but most buyers aren't buying a detector because it's 'just as good' as what they already have.

The real determination should be how does one preform compared to the other when each one is adjusted to highlight its advantages. If detector 'A' separates iron best on one setting and detector 'B' does it best on a completely different setting, then you truly know which is more capable to separate iron, at least under those specific circumstances. Separating iron is only one example. Comparisons would also need to be done for other scenarios.

In other words, comparing them using similar settings isn't necessarily using each machine to its greatest potential, which is what makes one detector arguably 'better' than another. I want to see detector 'A' set to whatever enables it to find the targets I'm after, and the same with detector 'B', even if those settings are drastically different from each other.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to hear more about what the Anfibio owners think of the legend I think that would be a more interesting heads-up comparison.

I own the Anfibio Multi (with 3 coils) and the Legend (pro pack). I also own a Deus 1, an ORX, a Vanquish 440, an Equinox 800, and an Apex. Previously I owned a V3i, MX5, MX Sport, BH 300, Etrac, CTX 3030, Vista X, Compadre, Bandido, F4, Eurotek Pro, G2, and a few that I can't think of at the moment.

I mostly hunt permission sites that have a long history (300 years of human occupation/use) and the trash that is typical of such locations (lots of iron bits and pieces, as well as modern trash). I do not have a test garden, nor do I test machines against each other. I just hunt with a machine and reach my determination, regarding each machine's value to me, largely on a very subjective basis. Performance does play a role, but I place high value on other aspects; some of which can't be easily conveyed to others.

How well I gel with a machine matters to me. If I just can't "be one" with a machine, I won't want to use it - no matter how well it performs (in tests or otherwise) for others. For me a metal detector has to have a "fun factor." I have to enjoy using it, and the metal detector must speak a language that I can instinctively comprehend.

Think of it this way: there are female celebrities who are roundly considered to be very attractive (physically and otherwise). A good many of those supposedly attractive celebrities are absolutely repulsive to me; mostly due to their personalities, but oftentimes I don't find them physically attractive either. I could not "learn" to find them attractive, and it doesn't matter (to me) how well they "perform." They just aren't my cup of tea.

It is way too early to really give an in-depth report on how the Legend compares to the Anfibio, but I will give some of my initial thoughts.

Build Quality:
Nod goes to the Anfibio, but that's really a matter of comparing excellence with excellence.

Ergonomics:
Nod goes to the Legend. It is lighter in weight and it just seems to swing better. I do find the Anfibio to be very good regarding ergonomics.

Ease of Use:
Nod goes to the Legend. Both are very intuitive machines in my opinion, but I think the Legend is a bit easier to use.

User Adjustments:
Nod goes to the Legend. It has more user adjustable features - recovery speed being the most notable.

Tones:
Nod goes to the Legend. The tones (I use 60 tones) seem to give more information, and they're more pleasant in my opinion. I tend to use 5 tones on the Anfibio (when I can) and while they do give quite a lot of information, I don't believe they are as informative as the tones of the Legend. For me it is very easy to discern a crown cap with the Legend - tonally crown caps just sound horrible on the Legend. Crown caps do not sound good on the Anfibio, but the difference isn't as noticeable (Anfibio).

Shallow/large targets are a loud tone (Legend) - a bit brash and kind of in-your-face - but the tone still has the target information within. The same targets give an overload tone with the Anfibio - all you really know is that something shallow/large is under the coil.

ID:
Nod goes to the Legend. Good targets (by themselves) give a solid ID with little (or no) variation. The same targets will sometimes bounce a bit with the Anfibio. The Legend seems to solidify the ID as you swing over the target a few more times.

Separation:
Nod goes to the Legend. While the Anfibio is a fast machine, it doesn't offer the user the ability to set recovery speed to their liking. The Legend can be an amazingly fast machine.

Depth:
Nod goes to the Anfibio (I think). The Anfibio can be a very deep machine. I suspect the Legend will prove to be almost the equal of the Anfibio, but it's far too early for me to make that call.

Performance:
Nod goes to the Legend. If for no other reason than it has the ability to hunt more mineralized soil and/or saltwater with fewer issues. The Legend is better when it comes to EMI too.

I haven't put much time in with the Legend, but I have noticed that I'm finding far more coins on edge and I'm doing so in areas that I have used my other machines. I'm not saying the Anfibio (or my other machines) wouldn't hit those coins, but I found them with the Legend. Happenstance? Maybe, but it does seem as though the Legend has some sort of magic that my other machines don't.

The Anfibio is kind of a hot-rod machine. A bit sparky (especially if it is cranked up) at times. The Legend is a much smoother running machine - still very capable, but it doesn't feel like you're running it on the edge.

Trash performance:
Nod goes to the Legend. I find the Anfibio to be a very good performer in the trash, but the Legend is quite a bit better. Impressively better. Enough so that someone cherry-picking coins wouldn't dig hardly any trash at all - even if nickels are targeted.

I've been very surprised with how well the Legend does in iron trash. I had not expected it to do so well (without the iron bias update) but it has been quite amazing. I have no idea of how it manages to find good targets in a bed of iron bits and pieces, but it does it so well that I'm not convinced that the Legend needs the iron bias update.

Headphones:
Legend, hand's down. It isn't close and I've always found the Anfibio headphones to be good performers. The bluetooth headphones (Legend) are great - the equal to Garrett's wireless headphones (which I love). Sound quality is great, no lag, and they pair up almost instantly.

Conclusion:
It's still very early, but if I were forced to choose between the Legend and the Anfibio Multi - I'd choose the Legend. I think it offers more, and it is going to improve (via updates) over the next few years. The Anfibio is unlikely to receive new updates, and while it is an excellent machine (very capable) I think the Legend is already ahead of the Anfibio in most areas.

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Emil W,

The only comparisons with any value to me are blind-tests in actual locations, detecting first with one machine, then again with another, before anything is ever dug. Test beds and air tests are useless.

I agree testing first with both detectors set using the closest head-to-head adjustments possible is helpful, but that's only part of the story. Sure, it's great to know that when both are set the same they both either preform equally well, or one preforms better than the other, but most buyers aren't buying a detector because it's 'just as good' as what they already have.

The real determination should be how does one preform compared to the other when each one is adjusted to highlight its advantages. If detector 'A' separates iron best on one setting and detector 'B' does it best on a completely different setting, then you truly know which is more capable to separate iron, at least under those specific circumstances. Separating iron is only one example. Comparisons would also need to be done for other scenarios.

In other words, comparing them using similar settings isn't necessarily using each machine to its greatest potential, which is what makes one detector arguably 'better' than another. I want to see detector 'A' set to whatever enables it to find the targets I'm after, and the same with detector 'B', even if those settings are drastically different from each other.
The Legend currently cannot be setup to optimally handle a site like the one chosen by Calabash for the video of a Legend vs Deus 2 head to head. That was really my main point. Also, those of us who can't stand PWM audio on the Deus 1, ORX and Deus 2 would learn a lot from seeing how well Deus 2 does in a site like that using Square Wave audio. Personally, I would like to see Calabash do a Deus 2 PWM audio vs a Deus 2 Square Wave audio head to head instead of a reactionary video like the one referenced here which proved nothing that wasn't known already.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own the Anfibio Multi (with 3 coils) and the Legend (pro pack). I also own a Deus 1, an ORX, a Vanquish 440, an Equinox 800, and an Apex. Previously I owned a V3i, MX5, MX Sport, BH 300, Etrac, CTX 3030, Vista X, Compadre, Bandido, F4, Eurotek Pro, G2, and a few that I can't think of at the moment.

I mostly hunt permission sites that have a long history (300 years of human occupation/use) and the trash that is typical of such locations (lots of iron bits and pieces, as well as modern trash). I do not have a test garden, nor do I test machines against each other. I just hunt with a machine and reach my determination, regarding each machine's value to me, largely on a very subjective basis. Performance does play a role, but I place high value on other aspects; some of which can't be easily conveyed to others.

How well I gel with a machine matters to me. If I just can't "be one" with a machine, I won't want to use it - no matter how well it performs (in tests or otherwise) for others. For me a metal detector has to have a "fun factor." I have to enjoy using it, and the metal detector must speak a language that I can instinctively comprehend.

Think of it this way: there are female celebrities who are roundly considered to be very attractive (physically and otherwise). A good many of those supposedly attractive celebrities are absolutely repulsive to me; mostly due to their personalities, but oftentimes I don't find them physically attractive either. I could not "learn" to find them attractive, and it doesn't matter (to me) how well they "perform." They just aren't my cup of tea.

It is way too early to really give an in-depth report on how the Legend compares to the Anfibio, but I will give some of my initial thoughts.

Build Quality:
Nod goes to the Anfibio, but that's really a matter of comparing excellence with excellence.

Ergonomics:
Nod goes to the Legend. It is lighter in weight and it just seems to swing better. I do find the Anfibio to be very good regarding ergonomics.

Ease of Use:
Nod goes to the Legend. Both are very intuitive machines in my opinion, but I think the Legend is a bit easier to use.

User Adjustments:
Nod goes to the Legend. It has more user adjustable features - recovery speed being the most notable.

Tones:
Nod goes to the Legend. The tones (I use 60 tones) seem to give more information, and they're more pleasant in my opinion. I tend to use 5 tones on the Anfibio (when I can) and while they do give quite a lot of information, I don't believe they are as informative as the tones of the Legend. For me it is very easy to discern a crown cap with the Legend - tonally crown caps just sound horrible on the Legend. Crown caps do not sound good on the Anfibio, but the difference isn't as noticeable (Anfibio).

Shallow/large targets are a loud tone (Legend) - a bit brash and kind of in-your-face - but the tone still has the target information within. The same targets give an overload tone with the Anfibio - all you really know is that something shallow/large is under the coil.

ID:
Nod goes to the Legend. Good targets (by themselves) give a solid ID with little (or no) variation. The same targets will sometimes bounce a bit with the Anfibio. The Legend seems to solidify the ID as you swing over the target a few more times.

Separation:
Nod goes to the Legend. While the Anfibio is a fast machine, it doesn't offer the user the ability to set recovery speed to their liking. The Legend can be an amazingly fast machine.

Depth:
Nod goes to the Anfibio (I think). The Anfibio can be a very deep machine. I suspect the Legend will prove to be almost the equal of the Anfibio, but it's far too early for me to make that call.

Performance:
Nod goes to the Legend. If for no other reason than it has the ability to hunt more mineralized soil and/or saltwater with fewer issues. The Legend is better when it comes to EMI too.

I haven't put much time in with the Legend, but I have noticed that I'm finding far more coins on edge and I'm doing so in areas that I have used my other machines. I'm not saying the Anfibio (or my other machines) wouldn't hit those coins, but I found them with the Legend. Happenstance? Maybe, but it does seem as though the Legend has some sort of magic that my other machines don't.

The Anfibio is kind of a hot-rod machine. A bit sparky (especially if it is cranked up) at times. The Legend is a much smoother running machine - still very capable, but it doesn't feel like you're running it on the edge.

Trash performance:
Nod goes to the Legend. I find the Anfibio to be a very good performer in the trash, but the Legend is quite a bit better. Impressively better. Enough so that someone cherry-picking coins wouldn't dig hardly any trash at all - even if nickels are targeted.

I've been very surprised with how well the Legend does in iron trash. I had not expected it to do so well (without the iron bias update) but it has been quite amazing. I have no idea of how it manages to find good targets in a bed of iron bits and pieces, but it does it so well that I'm not convinced that the Legend needs the iron bias update.

Headphones:
Legend, hand's down. It isn't close and I've always found the Anfibio headphones to be good performers. The bluetooth headphones (Legend) are great - the equal to Garrett's wireless headphones (which I love). Sound quality is great, no lag, and they pair up almost instantly.

Conclusion:
It's still very early, but if I were forced to choose between the Legend and the Anfibio Multi - I'd choose the Legend. I think it offers more, and it is going to improve (via updates) over the next few years. The Anfibio is unlikely to receive new updates, and while it is an excellent machine (very capable) I think the Legend is already ahead of the Anfibio in most areas.
Thank you for the detailed feedback. I think it is fair to say then that the legend isn't just the same tech from Nokta Makro rehashed as now including Multi-Freq. It appears they are making solid improvements all-around and that is pretty encouraging to hear.

Funny I have owned almost all the same machines you listed and the MX5 is still probably one of the funnest / easist machines I had. Kinda regret selling that one. - I considered picking up a vanquish because it seems very similar in design.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Emil W,

The Legend currently cannot be setup to optimally handle a site like the one chosen by Calabash for the video of a Legend vs Deus 2 head to head. That was really my main point. Also, those of us who can't stand PWM audio on the Deus 1, ORX and Deus 2 would learn a lot from seeing how well Deus 2 does in a site like that using Square Wave audio. Personally, I would like to see Calabash do a Deus 2 PWM audio vs a Deus 2 Square Wave audio head to head instead of a reactionary video like the one referenced here which proved nothing that wasn't known already.
I hear you on the Audio - I struggled when I first tried the Equinox with the full tones audio but have since found the Audio on the Etrac to be easy on the ears. I could now probably go back to full tones on the Nox and be fine. Likewise I have no problem with the PWM audio but I can certainly understand how it would wear on people. * On a side note I have reached out to XP about an update for the ORX - you would think they would at least allow you to control the volume of the iron. Listening to the Square Wave audio on the XP Deus website today the High tone & Pitch on the Square is very nice. I've gotten used to the Ferrous/Pitch audio on the PWM which is what I imagine drives people crazy.

- Is your thought that with the Square Wave audio he might hear some keepers that would otherwise be indistinguishable in PWM audio. That might be a hard ask for his hearing but certainly plausible for some.

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
- Is your thought that with the Square Wave audio he might hear some keepers that would otherwise be indistinguishable in PWM audio. That might be a hard ask for his hearing but certainly plausible for some.
I have no clue.......
Having owned and used Deus 1 and Orx for many years (like Calabash) my head tells me that the more responsive, quicker(???) and information filled PWM audio might work best at a site like he chose. Since I don't have a Deus 2 yet and no one has done an in the field comparison between PWM and Square at a site like that, who knows?

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the detailed feedback. I think it is fair to say then that the legend isn't just the same tech from Nokta Makro rehashed as now including Multi-Freq. It appears they are making solid improvements all-around and that is pretty encouraging to hear.

Yes. The Legend is a very good metal detector. I think in time a lot of people will find that it punches well above its price point.

Funny I have owned almost all the same machines you listed and the MX5 is still probably one of the funnest / easist machines I had. Kinda regret selling that one. - I considered picking up a vanquish because it seems very similar in design.

The MX5 remains one of my favorite machines I've ever used. I do regret selling it and have considered getting another one. I've never really understood why the MX5 wasn't a much better seller (for Whites) than it was. Those who owned the MX5 seem (mostly) to love them.

On a side note I have reached out to XP about an update for the ORX - you would think they would at least allow you to control the volume of the iron.

I too contacted XP and suggested that they make a few updates on the ORX - additional tones, tone breaks, and adjustable iron volume. I think XP could make the ORX a much bigger player if they made the ORX more suitable for coin hunting in modern (trashy) parks.

The reply I received said my suggestions would be forwarded to the engineering department. I don't know if that was a polite way of telling me to stuff it, or if my suggestions are being considered.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. The Legend is a very good metal detector. I think in time a lot of people will find that it punches well above its price point.

The MX5 remains one of my favorite machines I've ever used. I do regret selling it and have considered getting another one. I've never really understood why the MX5 wasn't a much better seller (for Whites) than it was. Those who owned the MX5 seem (mostly) to love them.

I too contacted XP and suggested that they make a few updates on the ORX - additional tones, tone breaks, and adjustable iron volume. I think XP could make the ORX a much bigger player if they made the ORX more suitable for coin hunting in modern (trashy) parks.

The reply I received said my suggestions would be forwarded to the engineering department. I don't know if that was a polite way of telling me to stuff it, or if my suggestions are being considered.

I think XP has to be careful not to add features to the ORX that would compete with the Deus. No one would buy the Deus if the ORX is updated too much. It's in XPs best interest to keep these machines, as well as the Deus 2, at markedly different levels.

jjack9977

May 1, 2015
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex, Nokta Makro PulseDive, Whites Bullseye TRX, Teknetics Tek-Point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now it appears to be punching above its price point and eating others lunches too. While they roll out update after update that have dramatically improved performance, XP has let the Deus 2 go stale, even working backward (though not everyone will agree with that, the many who are cannot be ignored) with buggy “updates” that are both slow to come along and in some ways counterproductive. As of update 1.09 Nokta Makro appears to be beating XP at its own game, in the iron. I’m sitting on the sidelines with my Deus 2 shaking my head, wondering if I didn’t make a mistake in placing my bet there. The least that can be said is that The Legend is proving to be far more competitive with a $1600 machine than XP can afford to allow. If they don’t wake up soon, they just might find themselves on the receiving end of a butt kickin by the new kids on the block.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want to be offensive about the poster above... I would warn you not to believe everything you see on Youtube..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread