Lost Payroll Gold Near Austin Pa

gods country girl

May 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pap told us this treasure tale when we were kids.I haven't been able to find any on paper proof of this lost payroll, so i guess it's just another treasure legend for potter county.It is recorded that the damn workers did demand to be paid in gold.

When they were constructing the Austin Dam the workers were paid in gold.I have been told that one of the trains carrying the payroll ( don't know how much it was ) derailed coming down one of the switch backs into Austin , and the payroll was never found .

Sorry for such a short tale but this is all i was told.My brother and i camped out a bunch of times in the hills above Austin but never found any signs of a train wreck.The wreckage may have been gone by the 70's - 80's , and of course we didn't have a MD back then.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
This might be hard to locate because in 1911 that dam failed and wiped out the town of Austin. The present town of Auston is located a short distance away.

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
I have an old news article on a part of this.
There were many Chinese people working on the the dam, and they demanded to be paid in gold only.
I'm thinking if you could find out where the Chines section of Austin was, then may be that area would be a good area to look for gold coins. Some could have been lost before the flood or during it.
The article says the post office had loads of gold in it for payday.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I read somewhere that the state sent Constables to protect it from looting, but as you said if you could locate that old Chinese section you might come out with some gold. I wonder if anyone has searched the Old Austin area!

Potter Poker

Jan 29, 2007
Potter County, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I know of at least one gold piece (2and 1/2 dollar piece) was found when they were constructing the Austin Museum. That piece is on display in the museum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread