largest spearpoint

daddyrog

Aug 11, 2010
Anyone know the largest spearpoint made by indians; my brother traded a Tenn. preacher out of one in the early 60's; that he said he found in a river bed below an old indian graveyard after some flooding; my brother is now gone and the artifact was left to me; and from all the research that I have done; it seams as if the indians never made anything this big; it is a dove tail and measures 13 1/2 inches long and 2 1/4 wide at the widest point; any help or info appreachated

Upvote 0
grey ghost is what I thought also but REINHARDT did not make anything this big; I'll try to post a pic.

daddyrog said:
Anyone know the largest spearpoint made by indians; my brother traded a Tenn. preacher out of one in the early 60's; that he said he found in a river bed below an old indian graveyard after some flooding; my brother is now gone and the artifact was left to me; and from all the research that I have done; it seams as if the indians never made anything this big; it is a dove tail and measures 13 1/2 inches long and 2 1/4 wide at the widest point; any help or info appreachated

I am very sorry to hear about your brother. I know you will enjoy that artifact like he did.
Maybe some of this might help you. There have been caches of blades found in Tn some as long as 28''. I have seen blades at 24' come 3 miles from my house. I have also seen blades dug that were 24'. But do not know of any doves.

http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/2008februaryduckrivercachepage2.htm

Love to see a picture of it. Be exciting to figure out what you have.
Take care
TnMtns

I am sorry for your loss.

Just going by description, it's pretty hard to imagine a dove that big from that era not being a Reinhardt (or some other maker), but you are certainly in on of the areas where big blades have been found in numbers and in relatively low level mortuary settings... What's the material? Dover would be interesting because it would be the expected material for the area, Edwards Plateau would be suspect for obvious reasons.

I hope it's real and your brother left you a 5 or 6 figure relic!

Joshua

here is a pic I hope

Attachments

• artifacts.JPG
    artifacts.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 2,667
Does not look like no Gary ghost to me.

Looks real as hell in that picture.

Enjoy it well.

targe said:
daddyrog said:
thats why I'm here; hoping someone can help.

Well, the only question you actually asked is "(What were) the largest spearpoint made by Indians"

Answer: The Indians did make authentic flint "spearpoints", knife blades, dance blades, "swords", etc. in excess of 13". The famous Duck River Cache included blades more than twice that long...but authentic, prehistoric Indian-made flint pieces like that are extremely rare.

Does that answer your question?

http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/2008februaryduckrivercachepage2.htm

yes; thats what I wanted to know; I showed it to an old collector here in town and he said indians did not make anything this big and that it was fake; and I did not want to be out the bucks and also take a chance on it getting broke sending it off somewhere to get it checked out without other opinion's; so yes and thank you and everyone else for your time and help and concern; great site; glad I found it.
Anyone know where or how I can have it checked out; I am located in central ky; again thanks to all that have posted; at least now I have a little hope; he was so sure it was real; at now if it does turn out to be fake; it will be unknown to him and still a beautiful hand me down.

After seeing the picture I too don't think that's a Gray Ghost or anything ever did by Reinhardt. It looks to have patina and creek stain on it so it just may be real. By the way, that's not a Dovetail Point. It loos more like a Hopewell type which would be right for a point that large. The Hopewell and the Middle to Late Woodland cultures made some very big blades.

Check with these guys. They are both in Kentucky and may be close enough for you to drive there.

Davis Artifacts * Tom and David Davis
P.O. Box 676
Stanton, KY 40380

Email:
[email protected]

Phone:
(606) 663-2741

FAX:
(606) 663-4370

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jackson Galleries
P.O. Box 1005
Mount Sterling, Kentucky 40353
Phone:
1-800-466-3836
Fax:
1-859-499-0160
Bill: [email protected]

donnaplace said:
looks pretty good to me
could we get a picture of the back siide too?

Hope this helps; the other side.

Attachments

• spear 4.JPG
    spear 4.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 1,471
  • spear.JPG
    spear.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 1,535
  • spear 2.JPG
    spear 2.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 2,182
I agree with SRV that it is likely not a Reinhart piece for several reasons. Is the base ground? Are the edges of the basal area less sharp than the blade edges? This would be an interesting piece to handle personally and examine. I'm interested to see where this string goes.

Daddyrog - Could you possibly post a close up picture of the point circled below? It may be a very interesting piece as well.

Thanks.

Attachments

• artifacts.JPG
    artifacts.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,210
I don't know a great deal about the big fake blades. But I have seen and handled some of the slab cut fake blades and and even had one at one time, they are usually very flat sided on the sides where the stone was cut. I hope it turn's out to be a good blade it sure look's like a good blade to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back