Hello from Northeast Georgia!

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and I thought I would use this post to introduce myself, even though I have already jumped into a few conversations here already.

I collect coins - mainly silver - from the US and foreign countries. I am a big fan of Mexican coins.

I have not been a lifelong collector of coins, but a while back I was given a small canvas bank bag that was left to me by my late grandfather. It was a good little stash of coins that got me started on the coin collecting trail. I have what I think would be a pretty meager collection by most standards but it's a start!

I am also currently a student with about 1 1/2 years to go on my History Degree w/teaching certificate.

The reason I have come to the treasurenet forums is because I am going to begin doing some metal detecting and cache hunting in my spare time. Obviously, I have come here to get some input from experienced seekers.

I will definitely do thread searches before I ask about what type of metal detector I should get. I missed out on an old Heathkit Cointrack on eBay recently. It ended up going for $36.00. I like the vintage stuff, and Heathkit used to make a pretty good audio amp, but I think I may look for something a little newer. I keep reading the term "ACE 250" so I will research that model further.

Here is another issue I have been pondering. I live in a rural part of Northeast Georgia near the base of the Appalachian Trail. During the Civil War, there were very few plantations or slave owners in this area. I have read some things about how people here really wanted to stay out of the conflict altogether. There is a story about both the Union and Confederacy coming in and trying to conscript soldiers. The locals refused to comply and attacked both sides. This area was sparsely populated with "mountain people" and I assume was of no strategic value. During Sherman's March, a small Union raiding party was sent in and was turned back by a local militia in a skirmish known as "The Battle of the Narrows". The fact that there were no plantations and that Sherman didn't even think the area was worth burning or looting leads me to believe there wouldn't be much Civil War type or era items around here. Of course, I could very well be wrong. What do you folks think?

One cool thing is that I do happen to live right on top of one of the two main gold deposits in the state, and I am near the famous Dahlonega Mint. I don't think I will be running across any 24K nuggets in my backyard or anything, but there is a history of gold mining and minting only a few counties over from me.

GA_Gold_Deposits.jpg

Also, if there is anyone here into arrowheads there is a real honey hole around here. One guy found a complete axe head. It looked like you could stuff a tree limb into the head and just start chopping away. It was in great shape.

Lastly, I would like to end with a "GO DAWGS!"

Thus concludes my necessary introduction. This seems like a really great forum and I hope to learn a lot here . Happy Hunting.

Hasse

Apr 27, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500 com treasure Hound eagle eye / Ace 250 / Magnet Cobra Beach
Welcome to T-Net!
Very good luck hunting!
Do not forget to post your findings.
Surely you will find lots of information here.
Also collect coins, I have many in my country (Brazil).
Some I got from my father and friends, nothing bought.
Perhaps a future return. :thumbsup:
Hasse :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Hello to you sir! Thanks for replying to my introduction.

I got a bunch of old Brazilian coins just the other day ranging from the 1880's to the 1950's. Many 100, 200, and 400 Reiz.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PG16996 (2).jpg

Attachments

• PG16996 (2).jpg
    PG16996 (2).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 472

spanishmoss

Mar 27, 2020
South Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! I’m going to shoot my shot, in the dark, at a ten year reply to your post. I was googling a Georgia “Gold Maps” and came across your image. (Thank you, by the way) I too lived in North Georgia, for many years, but am originally from South Georgia. The knowledge of nature I learned, growing up down here, is what sparked my curiosity to learn more when I eventually made my way to the northern part of the state. It’s so neat, to see someone else, our age, getting jazzed about the minerals in Georgia too. I love arrowheads as well, and would love to talk about your finds. (I surface collected many pieces in N. Ga.) Have a great day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread