🥇 BANNER Giant pocket spill or small cache...you decide!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good morning fellow diggers,

I was poking around in the woods yesterday, trying to get some quality detecting time in before the rain. I was way off trail when I came upon a very solid, very loud signal that sounded too good to pass up. After a little probing, I discovered that the signal was directly under a very large, flat rock. With a little effort I was able to flip the rock over, and pin-point the target. Long story, short the target turned out to be the world's biggest pocket spill, or a cache of coins hidden by someone back around 1920.

008.JPG001.JPG003.JPG006.JPG

There were 13 Buffalo nickels, 3 Liberty nickels, 2 Barber dimes, 2 Mercury dimes,

010.JPG012.JPG014.JPG

3 Barber quarters, and 1 Standing Liberty quarter

019.JPG020.JPG

I can't quite describe how exciting it was to see all of these coins come out of the ground! Thanks for looking! Scott

Upvote 174
Looks like it was a cache to me! Under a rock and check out the staining on the quarters: looks like they were in a stack under there. Amazing find, I know the coins themselves might not be worth thousands, but the rarity of cache finds makes this a banner in my eyes. My vote is on the way. GREAT find!

a couple dozen coins in one hole wow!
that would be more than enough to put a hole in your pocket let alone your day...I feel it was someone's stash...now it's yours, congrats on that!

Got to be a cache! What an amazing find!!

To me this is Banner Worthy!

I agree with others, this was a cache ! For all of them to be under a large rock makes the case rather clearly , and the number of coins recovered argues against a spill ..I'm leaning banner on this as well ..Very exciting find !

Great find! That will be tough to beat.
HH
dts

Cache for sure.
That was a small fortune for the era.
Plus ,the marker rock. The odds of a rock just happening to end up on top of a spill are slim. (Unless an entire site is a layer of rock , or covered with slabs for a walkway ect..)

That’s Amazing!!! A find of Dreams!!!! Congrats!!!!

Congratualtions! Definitely a cache! :notworthy:

Nice cache/spill! Judging by the wear, I think it's more like that it was buried sometime in the 30's.

Awesome find! At 2.00 I'm thinking it's a depression era hobo's paid labor savings stash, or something like a bootlegger's dead-drop exchange location. Better detect around any other rocks in the area!

Wow that's very cool. Do you think there was an old house or buildings in that area back in the day?

I'm leaning toward giant pocket spill but before I make up my mind... Do you have a lot of giants in your area?

Cool find! I'm jealous.

super good find like the other member, id be checkin out a few more of those rocks

Id call that a cache, Congrats!:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back