Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Occasionally shifting though many treasure yarns some times you come across ones by accident. And a happy accident it was that Old Crow finds an intriguing Worm of story to peck his beak into. Not that really need to any more but old habits do die hard?

Here is treasure I find interesting and intriguing? Yet I have no set opinion on the story being real, fake or still there?
Here picture of and alleged treasure map below.

a49b5f2888b5bfb233_bb007625.jpg

The above alleged treasure map This treasure map, associated with the Civil War era, can be found in the archives of the Oregon Historical Society Research Library. Courtesy of the Oregon Historical Society Research Library.

he archives of the Oregon Historical Society Research Library in Portland house many treasures—but only one honest-to-goodness treasure map. ( Or so it is believed? )

“It is an odd thing,” says research services manager Scott Daniels of Manuscript number 2039 a scrap of creased and stained tracing cloth kept in the library’s climate-controlled vault. Unfolded, the document is 6 inches tall and 18 inches wide, covered from edge to edge on one side with long strings of blunt capital letters written in blue pencil, and a crude map sketched in blue and yellow. On the far left, there’s a port with a building topped by a tall spire on its shore. And on the right, there is a barn and two slashes that seem to be gravestones. In black ink, someone has written “MONEY”—highlighting two separate caches of $3,000 each. In February 1862, when the map seems to indicate the treasure was buried, $6,000 would have been a fortune, several years wages for the average worker back then?

But if it was in gold coins it could be worth quite fortune today?

Yet like with all treasure maps there is catch? Down town Portland is a wildly different place today than 1864. If it was real and not already recovered the original caches may be under modern development or land fill somewhere?

You can see the full story at

Atlas Obscura Portland Oregon buried treasure Map

Anyway it might be fun seeing what people come up with?

Cheers Crow

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Crow

Nice treasure map for another buried cache. I would like to write my opinion about the cache location, after I gave a look on the Portland region on GE.
From my experience in treasure maps reading, I learned how every small detail could lead to the region of interest, details which most of the researchers don't pay attention. In this map case, the detail is the blue curved line below the barn, which seems how enters from a specific point on the road and exits from another point on the same road.
When we have as results after investigation, a specific shape of a road near an old port or marina which fits the shape of the road on the map, and after two miles on this road to the east we have a stream that has the same shape of the blue line on the map and enters and exits that region on that road, then we have went almost all the way to the cache.
Here are two GE images which I believe show the region of the Sims map. In the first image I drew a yellow line below the road for two miles, and in the second image which shows the stream, I marked with approximation, the barn's location with orange rectangle and the graves location with yellow circle.

Attachments

• Pike Road.jpg
    Pike Road.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Creek on the road.jpg
    Creek on the road.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Definitely not civil war period. Most likely from the late 1930's or early 1940's.

The blue ink used is methylene blue which wasn't available until after 1887.
The pen appears to be ball point which wasn't available in the U.S. until 1938.
Penciled on the reverse of the map in what appears to be the same handwriting as the map is:

Property of Irving Smith
233 Terminal Sales Bld, - Portland
Atwater 9341

In 1939 Irving Smith was the Portland field office personnel director for the Social Security administration whose address was 233 Terminal Sales Building in Portland with a phone number of Atwater 9341.

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely not civil war period. Most likely from the late 1930's or early 1940's.

The blue ink used is methylene blue which wasn't available until after 1887.
The pen appears to be ball point which wasn't available in the U.S. until 1938.
Penciled on the reverse of the map in what appears to be the same handwriting as the map is:

Property of Irving Smith
233 Terminal Sales Bld, - Portland
Atwater 9341

In 1939 Irving Smith was the Portland field office personnel director for the Social Security administration whose address was 233 Terminal Sales Building in Portland with a phone number of Atwater 9341.
If you look closer to the map, you will see someone had re-drew with a blue pen over the old faint brown colour writings. Left out few other writings of the original map. This fact doesn't make the map fake or a hoax.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, if you look on GE to the cache region in a year before 2010, you will see there was a part of that orchard which maybe was bigger back then when the chart was made. Almost 99% accuracy. Part of that orchard is visible also in my second picture from my first post above.

Attachments

• Orchard.jpg
    Orchard.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 27

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As MarkMar mentioned... the pen ink is a re-draw over original writing...

There are other things mentioned such as the two days it was buried and it was near a stump etc etc etc.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting indeed... and i would bet it was located some time ago... but hey... ya just never know and would warrant an investigation by someone near that area.

When asking for permissions the story might come into more visible light... especially the parts of story(s) that others had previously sought permissions.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone has made some interesting points?

It is interesting to note there are 3 colors on the paper? Blue black and yellow? ( Hell Looks orange to me?" Must be my eyesight) The black looked more modern. ball point pen people most likely in 1930s to 1960s. The Museum had the lost document in 1966 in moving.

The Oregonian had tracked down Irving Smith at his home in Oklahoma City in 1966 because treasure hunters were on the prowl in Portland. Renewed interest in the century-old treasure may have been sparked by the 1957 publication of the book Lost Mines and Treasures of the Pacific Northwest, a collection of local lore by Ruby El Hult . Hult recounted the story told by the Oregon Historical Quarterly.

This is interesting as it helps build up provenance of the document. The treasure map was found in the papers of Judge after his death in 1933. It appears his son Judge Everett Smith’s son—believed the loot was buried in what is now Portland’s Northwest District.

Clearly notes have been added over time. Clay diggings makes an excellent remark about the Methylene blue. How that may be with ink but pencil?

The American Institute for Conservation has an excellent website about blue copying papers. see link. Clearly states pencils First introduced in the 1870's,

Book and Paper group Annual

The historical society states the blunt capital letters was written in blue pencil, and a crude map sketched in blue and yellow.

And I agree with Clay Diggings the blue pencil was used to make the map after the Civil war? But that does not necessary mean it is fake the two dates given was when the caches was buried and Old Simes Died?

It does not necessary mean the map was written during the Civil war? This map was written after the civil some time in 1870s perhaps from memory of what Old Simes told some one in 1864 before he died?

The Black ball point pen I am in agreement With Clay diggings again some time in 1930s or ;later? maybe Judge Everett Smith’s son? Clearly he had his name and address on the reverse side, who it was the property of Irving smith.

It appears he was done with it by 1957 and donated it to the historical society. he only donated to the historical society after attempting to find this alleged treasure himself and convinced himself the location was built out in 1905?

Regardless interesting all the same.

Crow

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Original is brownish yellow color?
Blue could have followed decades later.

When tracking I/ We don't want to disturb the sign. It may need to be revisited and is evidence. Last drop of blood or disturbed dead leaf might be indicate a turn and be revisited if tracking progress is lost.. Stepped on it could disappear.

If a later treasure hunter or investigator added to the map it could explain an overlay. (Like around the repeated $3000 area. Original material getting stepped on.)
Or someone pursued and inquiry made with could have added to it. Even the original drawer or an associate.

I can see not wanting to blemish an old document. Or use it for further research or notes as the material to write on.
Doesn't mean someone or others never have!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A thief is a thief no matter what you call it.
Still awaiting proof. Nothing but heresy so far , and it's been quite a while.

I have not visited the site. It doesn't fit horses , wagons, or trying to hide effectively here where I've poked around old sites.. Not related to hiding except trash to keep hooves of it. Which is ironic being deer have exposed glass for me.
But , I wasn't there back when either.
An old wagon in the front yard , even in it's best days back when wasn't going to run much gold far on rough terrain. I have pulled it empty. It's own weight affects how it handles. More weight wouldn't increase side hill nimbleness.
How much weight would it take for the hind-end to swing away from what is pulling it forward on a slope? Like tractors I do run loaded and heed caution on , slopes are tricky when weight is applied.
A half dozen bars of gold hidden in the runs low point most wet runoff area? (A run is a natural drain due to it's being the lowest ground and not soaking up water run off , welcome to the regions hard rock ground).

Tons of precious metals in that slop? Seeing is believing. And none is seen. Nor was seen.
Caching something there defeats the definition of caching on slopes or hills.
Which is to secure until recovery.

A run. And the subject run , are hosts to annual spring runoffs. Erosion of any material that will yield. And deeper covering of the surface when/if flow lets up turns , crosses holes or skids off bedrock again. Tumble tumble.
We're going to hide gold bars where rocks and boulders move about in flooding?. I'm not.
Midwest flooding near me (West of Pa.) has water well away from the nearest river. Creeks too high to play ion. And natural drains (runs in Pa.) are no place to be standing with a shovel.
So Spring is out of the recovery option time? Summer bugs and snakes then. Noproblem. Except , natives and residents are about. O.K. , fall/autumn then for a recovery.
Ooops. Who knew there was such a hunting culture in Pa.?
Winter then? Dang. Who knew you see so far when the leaves are fallen? And our tracks in the snow have alerted the residents traffic is about post hunting season. We're being watched , no surprise. Ans nothing new.

Who ,lived on in or near Dents run during the alleged deposit?
Who hunted the area? Who hid in the area?
More specifically , who was in the area the day of the deposit? Witnesses as the wagons approached the area? Or who walked out?

I do not for an instant believe the area was a wilderness with no witnesses.
Events pre dating alleged activity indicate too much other prior traffic!
The county was founded decades before the civil war. Suggesting it was well attended prior.

Drop South /downhill to get into less inhospitable to heavy laden wagons terrain.
And easier digging in pockets of deposits from above.

Unlike climbing rough country and contrasting with normal activity.
Anyone watching draft animals work , it's no secret if the load is serious vs reasonable.
Here we have a group (of secret troops, till they hit a tavern after? Because that's what hidden troops do after hiding tons of precious metals on a secret mission , right? ) putting themselves in a vulnerable position they can't get thier mission out of.
Running draft animals too hard is going to attract more notice than wagons with solid loads being run where a "normal" person would.
Hard driven up into rough country? No. And getting robbed when you can't maneuver due to terrain was not a military practice taught at West Point , was it?

But hey , a judge declares evidence sufficient , there might be a case worth investigating. Something tangible MAY exist at such point.
Till then it's been many years. And no tangible result from multiple parties.
Only maybes. Or stories.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK - I'll have to contribute more I guess. I really thought a group of researchers would understand the importance of the use of Methylene Blue for the map.

Methylene blue pigment, available as of 1887 (and earlier Methylene Violet), was used when multiple exact copies of drawings and writings were required. A damp foolscap of onionskin was pressed onto the paper with the Methylene Blue writing and a mirror image copy was created on the onionskin. The foolscap copy was trimmed to size. When read though the back of the onionskin it was effectively an exact copy of the original. Methylene blue was often used by individuals and businesses to create a quick copy of correspondence before mailing or to make a confidential copy of a secret treasure map for the next buyer. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay, please stop trying to cause issues, it is getting old!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
OK - I'll have to contribute more I guess. I really thought a group of researchers would understand the importance of the use of Methylene Blue for the map.

Methylene blue pigment, available as of 1887 (and earlier Methylene Violet), was used when multiple exact copies of drawings and writings were required. A damp foolscap of onionskin was pressed onto the paper with the Methylene Blue writing and a mirror image copy was created on the onionskin. The foolscap copy was trimmed to size. When read though the back of the onionskin it was effectively an exact copy of the original. Methylene blue was often used by individuals and businesses to create a quick copy of correspondence before mailing or to make a confidential copy of a secret treasure map for the next buyer. :thumbsup:
3 different writers showing.
Not one tiny off the mark line from a tracing leaving blue residue? Not one? That's awful skilled. But sure. Not much secret going on when blue residue remains.

"Money". Contrasts in carbon or ink from two other materials.
Dot indicating stump(?) same. Minimum of three colorings that way..
Chasing the N in money around to compare to other handwritten N's of other colors on the same page to compare to matters more to me than who copied anything. Anyone could have copied without our knowing. Simply by not touching the original. (Wherever it is.)
But does that third color's author match any others? Or was it another set of hands?
It does appear a latter addition . And our story suggests a later contact with someone connected to it's creation earlier. But who marked the map? Copying doesn't mean working the map. Does adding to it?

Secret long gone. And even the instruction on the map confirms yet another person added to the list of knowing. Did a group get involved? How far did the map get circulated? Did the stump or whatever id designated the X get dug?
How a map (or in this case parts there of) got copied , with what color compound and when , doesn't tell me if it's money was recovered or not.

A rough draft? Final draft?
House and barn are labeled in one color. Drawn in another. But labels and drawings were not both copied/contained by use of blue medium. Nor were graves. Or Orchard. Or big stump.
Making blue inconclusive. The blue pictured barn looks like multiple things besides a barn. If it even resembles a barn.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There might be more clues to this alleged treasure map in the following scrap book in the University of Washington Libraries?

The Everett Smith scrapbook is a single volume containing ephemera following the life of Edward Everett Smith between the years of 1878 and 1933. The scrapbook primarily focuses on two parts of Smith's life: his time at Yale, between the years of 1879 and 1885 and his professional career in Seattle as a judge, from 1912 until 1933. The scrapbook also contains various photographs (presumably from his vacations), personal correspondence, high school report cards and obituaries written about Smith's death.
judge smith 1912.jpeg
The scrapbook includes a label that reads "Everett T. Smith," added at a later date, but the actual volume makes includes no reference to an Everett T. Smith. The initials written on the side of the book are E.E.S. and the contents of the scrapbook mention an Edward Everett Smith, an E. Everett Smith and an Everett Smith

Seattle attorney and judge, Edward Everett Smith (1862-1933), was born in Derby, Connecticut. After graduating from Hopkins Grammar School in New Haven, Connecticut in 1879. Smith enrolled in Yale University. He graduated from Yale in 1883, but went back for two more years to earn his degree in Law in 1885. Smith then moved to Seattle and began practicing as an attorney.

Judge smith in the 1880s.jpeg
In 1912, he was appointed to serve on the King County Superior Court and served in this position until 1933. Smith was an active advocate for troubled youth both off and on the bench
The Everett Smith scrapbook is a single volume containing ephemera following the life of Edward Everett Smith between the years of 1878 and 1933.

The scrapbook primarily focuses on two parts of Smith's life: his time at Yale, between the years of 1979 and 1885 and his professional career in Seattle as a judge, from 1912 until 1933. The scrapbook also contains various photographs (presumably from his vacations), personal correspondence, high school report cards and obituaries written about Smith's death. The scrapbook includes a label that reads "Everett T. Smith," added at a later date, but the actual volume makes includes no reference to an Everett T. Smith. The initials written on the side of the book are E.E.S. and the contents of the scrapbook mention an Edward Everett Smith, an E. Everett Smith and an Everett Smith

Seattle attorney and judge, Edward Everett Smith (1862-1933), was born in Derby, Connecticut. After graduating from Hopkins Grammar School in New Haven, Connecticut in 1879, Smith enrolled in Yale University. He graduated from Yale in 1883, but went back for two more years to earn his degree in Law in 1885. Smith then moved to Seattle and began practicing as an attorney. In 1912, he was appointed to serve on the King County Superior Court and served in this position until 1933. Smith was an active advocate for troubled youth both off and on the bench.

Some time in his career he acquired this alleged treasure map. Here is picture of him and his wife what appears to be in the late 1920s.

judge smith in the 1920s.jpeg

Was the map a product of a fraud case? Or some thing else? Perhaps his son took the who thing out of context of what he found in his fathers papers?

Judge Everett Smith in his advocacy of troubled youth the alleged treasure map might of been just a tool used as an ice breaker prop to help connect with troubled youth?

Crow

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK - I'll walk you through the next logical step.

The map is on tracing paper. Who the heck makes a map on tracing paper? And why are those brown/yellow lines so dim and fuzzy?

From the iron gall ink conservator website:

"Ink-transfer techniques are historical techniques used to create a direct copy from an original. These techniques are widely used throughout the 19th and beginning of the 20th century. Originals and copies produced with these techniques pose a challenge to the conservator for several reasons. In order to create an easy to copy original, particular writing inks were used containing hydrophilic additives like glycerin or sugar to enhance the inks ‘open time’. Often, these inks remain quite water soluble. Furthermore, the location of the ink is crucial. While on the original, the inks are applied on the recto side, they are always located on the verso (!) side of a copy created with an ink-transfer technique. A homogeneous “blurring” effect over the entire written area, with uniform halos around the ink lines, is characteristic for both the copied original and the copy. Thin, transparent papers with a blurry ink appearance are likely to be a copy.
References: (Cleveland 2001, Rhodes and Streeter 1999, Dobrusskin 1999)"

The "original" map doesn't exist if it ever did. What is being shown is a second (or possibly third or fourth) generation copy that has been edited, added to and modified several times.

Last edited:

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Crow

Nice treasure map for another buried cache. I would like to write my opinion about the cache location, after I gave a look on the Portland region on GE.
From my experience in treasure maps reading, I learned how every small detail could lead to the region of interest, details which most of the researchers don't pay attention. In this map case, the detail is the blue curved line below the barn, which seems how enters from a specific point on the road and exits from another point on the same road.
When we have as results after investigation, a specific shape of a road near an old port or marina which fits the shape of the road on the map, and after two miles on this road to the east we have a stream that has the same shape of the blue line on the map and enters and exits that region on that road, then we have went almost all the way to the cache.
Here are two GE images which I believe show the region of the Sims map. In the first image I drew a yellow line below the road for two miles, and in the second image which shows the stream, I marked with approximation, the barn's location with orange rectangle and the graves location with yellow circle.
Markmar,
I used to live about 1/2 hour drive from Portland, so this story caught my eye.

You did good matching up an old road to the map.
There is no Pike road in Portland, but perhaps it was a nickname as suggested in the article.

The “Pike Road” was only to be taken 2 miles from Portland.

Here is a GE image of the “road” from Portland to the area you found. Portland is off to the upper left.
IMG_0636.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions