gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It finally happened... the thing every detectorist wants to find... my first gold coin!!

Last hunt of the year, and I was digging a Civil War site here in northern Virginia with my trusty GPX. I found a couple of bullets in the morning, but it wasn't till after lunch that I found a small button. I texted my best diggin friends, who rightfully gave me flak about not digging enough high tones LOL! So just a minute or two later when I got a beautiful strong high tone, of course I had to see what it was.

I flipped the dirt out of the hole - and there it was, right on top, shining in the sun. A beautiful 1856 one dollar gold coin. Yahoo!!

Of course I scoured the area after that, and got out a bunch of small melted lead and some 22 bullets, but no more coins. Not that I'm complaining, digging a gold coin from the American Civil War is a lifetime bucket-lister.

What a way to end the year!! I know I don't post regularly like I used to on this site, but I felt like this time I wanted to come back and share it with y'all. They are still out there folks!!

Attachments

• KIMG1121~2.JPG
    KIMG1121~2.JPG
    417.6 KB · Views: 91,476
  • KIMG1126~2.JPG
    KIMG1126~2.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 357
  • KIMG1120.JPG
    KIMG1120.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 448
  • KIMG1167~3.JPG
    KIMG1167~3.JPG
    755.5 KB · Views: 473
  • KIMG1169~2.JPG
    KIMG1169~2.JPG
    691 KB · Views: 472
Upvote 108

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First of all-Welcome Back!

What a great looking recovery, congratulations on the $1.00 Gold piece.
I really believe you would be a great neighbour to have living next door to me up on the Banner.:headbang:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 35+ years of detecting, early this year (23), I finally found my first and only Gold coin. I am SOoo happy for you "gtosat99", a great feeling isn't it. Sometimes in the morning, I take a look at it, just to prove that it can happen. So now when people ask me, "What's the best thing you ever found", I now have a easy answer.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It finally happened... the thing every detectorist wants to find... my first gold coin!!

Last hunt of the year, and I was digging a Civil War site here in northern Virginia with my trusty GPX. I found a couple of bullets in the morning, but it wasn't till after lunch that I found a small button. I texted my best diggin friends, who rightfully gave me flak about not digging enough high tones LOL! So just a minute or two later when I got a beautiful strong high tone, of course I had to see what it was.

I flipped the dirt out of the hole - and there it was, right on top, shining in the sun. A beautiful 1856 one dollar gold coin. Yahoo!!

Of course I scoured the area after that, and got out a bunch of small melted lead and some 22 bullets, but no more coins. Not that I'm complaining, digging a gold coin from the American Civil War is a lifetime bucket-lister.

What a way to end the year!! I know I don't post regularly like I used to on this site, but I felt like this time I wanted to come back and share it with y'all. They are still out there folks!!
If I ever find a coin like that I would immediately call a friend to pick me up and drive me home Ater I arrived I would request that my drive help me into the house . T han sit me down and grab a beer from the fridge They of course would they be welcome to one also At that point I would ask why and how they arrived there If my fiend told me I had started t process by finding a gold coin I could than believe it was true But until it was verified by a third party I would not allow myself to take even have a sip of that beer That would be a few minute frozen in time for the rest of time CONGRATS

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtoast99

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks y'all!! Still hard to believe, happens when you least expect it I think. Not sure if I should send it to be graded and slabbed, but I'm leaning towards leaving it as is right now.

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BANNER FIND!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread