14 silvers and 4 golds from the dry swimming area, I’m glad I dig foil signals and an old walking stick topper

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had such a good day at the camping swimming area I decided to drive the 98 miles and do the other swim area and the beach. I had a day to spare and you never know when the next big gold will show up so off I went.

DAY 1
I started with the ATPro because I am sure it will get most of the small stuff, but my plan was to finish the swim area and then go back to the other area with the Equinox to see if there was something the Nox might find the the Pro missed and then us the Nox for the beach and sections I hadn’t gotten to with the Pro. I’m still learning the Equinox and I figure the guy who was there last time was still learning as well and that was the reason for his disappointment with the machine.

It took 5.5 hours with the ATPro to finish the second swimming area and I found a decent amount of change along with gold and silver jewelry. I spent 1.5 hours with the Equinox, the beach was very quiet, but I did find a good section of the swimming area that produced good change and 4 silvers (in areas not done with the Pro). As I was getting ready to leave I air tested the Nox with some of the silver and gold I found with the Pro. It gave a response for most of the goodies, but it did miss 2 of the gold earrings. So it looks like my go to machine for fresh water and beach hunts will be the ATPro. I will use the Nox at the salt water beaches.

My finds for the day were 45 coins with a face value of $3.41, 14 silvers (mostly cz studs and earring backs), 4 gold earrings, a nice variety of cheapie jewelry including 2 rings, 6 can tabs, 5 sinkers, a pile of selfie stick retainers, 9 pellet gun pellets, a big batch of cheapie earring backs, 2 hollow tubes that look like cheapie wind chime parts (but are probably parts of the retractable net the kids use to try and catch minnows and the source of the selfie stick retainers), 3 toy vehicles and a batch of foil.

DSCN2857.jpeg

DSCN2862.jpeg

The Equinox found the 2 large earring backs, a cz stud and the anchor crucifix pendant. The pendant is an unusual find and looks pretty well made. The rest of the jewelry was found with the ATPro. The golds are a 14k heart stud with czs, a 14k hinged butterfly earring with a tanzanite stone and cz, a 14k hinged earring with czs and an 18k etched hoop with a ball. Nothing real big, but gold adds up and the price keeps climbing so all is good.

DSCN2860.jpeg

DSCN2859.jpeg

DSCN2858.jpeg

DAY 2
I was going to get my waders on and go into the small water area left in a local park swimming area. But it was 27 degrees when I got there and it had snowed overnight at my home 12 miles west of the park so I decided to wait on the water (the stuff is not going anywhere) and work on the beach.

I spent 4.5 hours swingin the ATPro in the cold windy and cloudy conditions that did warm up to a whopping 42 degrees. I found 16 coins with a face value of $0.88, a ring, a pendant, some earrings, a couple of beads, a few tabs, a bunch of sinkers, an aluminum siding nail, an earring back, a shoe grommet, 2 toy vehicles and the usual foil.

DSCN2863.jpeg

The ring looks nice, but is unmarked and I’m pretty sure it is NOT silver. The broken piece of jewelry is silver and at one time it held a stone, but it has been partly smashed and the stone is long gone. The pendant is the star of the show and is 14k gold.

DSCN2865.jpeg

DSCN2866.jpeg

On the ATPro 40 to 42 is frequently aluminum foil. I was getting more of that than anything else on this hunt and was seriously thinking of skipping some of those signal and not digging them. Then I get a nice clear 41-42 and I think great more foil. I scoop out the sand and sift it and there in the sifter is this beautiful pendant that I knew instantly was gold. If you look at the picture you will see a chunk of foil next to the pendant. They both produced the exact same signal on the PRO. So you can see why I dig so much foil. The pendant is gold, but it is thin and light with lots of open spaces that produce a signal that is the same as aluminum foil. That’s why I don’t pay a huge amount of attention on the VDI numbers. I notice them and it gives me a clue as to what might be in the ground, but if it is a high or mid tone or combination tone I’m going to recover the target. It’s extra work, but as you can see from my other hunts, I try not to leave much behind.

DSCN2867.jpeg

NOTE: This scooping of all the mid and high tones works well in these areas. If I did that on land in most parks or homes I would dig up every square inch of ground and it would just not be practical. I dig all the mid and high tones, but with the CZ21 which gets most of the good stuff, but is not as sensitive to the finer small bits. I hope this makes sense to you.

DAY 3
I got my waders on and hit the water. It was still cold, but not as cold and not as windy. I spent 4 hours swingin the ATPro and covered the leftover water parts of 2 swimming areas. There were more targets than I thought there would be and I was surprised and pleased with the results. All together I found 35 coins with a face value of $3.26, 2 earring backs, 2 golds and a silver, an assortment of cheapie jewelry, a brass piece shaped like a bullet, a fishing lure, a tab, 5 sinkers, what looks like a Japanese token, 2 whole aluminum cans and bits of aluminum foil.

DSCN2868.jpeg

The ring was what I was hoping for, but it was still a nice surprise to see it in the scoop. It rang up as a 46 on the Pro, still below the gold ring numbers on the control screen. Again a lighter and smaller ring and that’s the reason for the low numbers. It is a 14k made in Italy and has a makers mark. The first earring is also 14k and has 2 tiny diamonds in it. The other earring with the long chain is silver. The swimming areas have been very good to me lately. In the past 7 days I have found 26 silvers and 11 golds.

DSCN2870.jpeg

DSCN2871.jpeg

I believe this is a token and not a coin. It is the same on both sides and the writing loos like Japanese to me. If you recognize this one please let me know.

DSCN2873.jpeg

DAY 4
I got permission to do another school. It was built in 1930 and added into in 1940 and again in 1980. The original 2 room school foundation that was there prior to the 1930 construction is located on the upper playground so there is potential for some older finds. The problem will be that in those days people didn’t have as much to loose and so the older finds should be sparse, and the more recent ones plentiful. Also the construction and addition of playground equipment has caused a lot of ground to be moved around and covered over which may make the older finds harder to find. Time will tell.

I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 103 coins with a face value of $5.88, a walking stick topper, a war nickel, a wheatie, an award token, a plated spoon, a rouge case, 3 cheapie rings, miscellaneous jewelry and the usual assortment of tabs, foil and slaw.

DSCN2875.jpeg

The walking stick topper is very ornate and would look great polished up. The opening is for a small stick so a walking stick and not a cane. No idea how old it is or how to tell the age. One section of the school grounds has been detected recently. They were neat, but I still found where they had cut a few of the plugs and that area was strangely quieter ,signal wise, than the rest of the school.

DSCN2878.jpeg

The war nickel is a 1943 S and the wheat is a 1945 in decent shape. That makes 6 hunts in a row with silver. Let’s see how long I can keep it going.

DSCN2876.jpeg

Wondering around town I did manage to find a few pennies this week. I also found a Canadian dime in a coinstar as well as 8 quarters in a coin return of a drink machine. I stuck my finger I the coin return and it wouldn’t go in because the slot was full.

DSCN2874.jpeg

So a great week for lots of small silver and gold and one neat oldie. Gas money was ok as well. I will be leaving for Florida in 2 days so hopefully I’ll find a few good spots on the beach. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 30

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of neat finds, and some good info! I like the anchor pendant and the walking stick topper. Very unusual.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well laid out post once again, showing the results.
It's always great to read how the different machines do and the results they produce.
Well done on the topper, and it would look great cleaned up.
Best of luck in FL there's a lot of sand to cover.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had such a good day at the camping swimming area I decided to drive the 98 miles and do the other swim area and the beach. I had a day to spare and you never know when the next big gold will show up so off I went.

DAY 1
I started with the ATPro because I am sure it will get most of the small stuff, but my plan was to finish the swim area and then go back to the other area with the Equinox to see if there was something the Nox might find the the Pro missed and then us the Nox for the beach and sections I hadn’t gotten to with the Pro. I’m still learning the Equinox and I figure the guy who was there last time was still learning as well and that was the reason for his disappointment with the machine.

It took 5.5 hours with the ATPro to finish the second swimming area and I found a decent amount of change along with gold and silver jewelry. I spent 1.5 hours with the Equinox, the beach was very quiet, but I did find a good section of the swimming area that produced good change and 4 silvers (in areas not done with the Pro). As I was getting ready to leave I air tested the Nox with some of the silver and gold I found with the Pro. It gave a response for most of the goodies, but it did miss 2 of the gold earrings. So it looks like my go to machine for fresh water and beach hunts will be the ATPro. I will use the Nox at the salt water beaches.

My finds for the day were 45 coins with a face value of $3.41, 14 silvers (mostly cz studs and earring backs), 4 gold earrings, a nice variety of cheapie jewelry including 2 rings, 6 can tabs, 5 sinkers, a pile of selfie stick retainers, 9 pellet gun pellets, a big batch of cheapie earring backs, 2 hollow tubes that look like cheapie wind chime parts (but are probably parts of the retractable net the kids use to try and catch minnows and the source of the selfie stick retainers), 3 toy vehicles and a batch of foil.

View attachment 2113517

View attachment 2113521

The Equinox found the 2 large earring backs, a cz stud and the anchor crucifix pendant. The pendant is an unusual find and looks pretty well made. The rest of the jewelry was found with the ATPro. The golds are a 14k heart stud with czs, a 14k hinged butterfly earring with a tanzanite stone and cz, a 14k hinged earring with czs and an 18k etched hoop with a ball. Nothing real big, but gold adds up and the price keeps climbing so all is good.

View attachment 2113520

View attachment 2113519

View attachment 2113518

DAY 2
I was going to get my waders on and go into the small water area left in a local park swimming area. But it was 27 degrees when I got there and it had snowed overnight at my home 12 miles west of the park so I decided to wait on the water (the stuff is not going anywhere) and work on the beach.

I spent 4.5 hours swingin the ATPro in the cold windy and cloudy conditions that did warm up to a whopping 42 degrees. I found 16 coins with a face value of $0.88, a ring, a pendant, some earrings, a couple of beads, a few tabs, a bunch of sinkers, an aluminum siding nail, an earring back, a shoe grommet, 2 toy vehicles and the usual foil.

View attachment 2113522

The ring looks nice, but is unmarked and I’m pretty sure it is NOT silver. The broken piece of jewelry is silver and at one time it held a stone, but it has been partly smashed and the stone is long gone. The pendant is the star of the show and is 14k gold.

View attachment 2113523

View attachment 2113524

On the ATPro 40 to 42 is frequently aluminum foil. I was getting more of that than anything else on this hunt and was seriously thinking of skipping some of those signal and not digging them. Then I get a nice clear 41-42 and I think great more foil. I scoop out the sand and sift it and there in the sifter is this beautiful pendant that I knew instantly was gold. If you look at the picture you will see a chunk of foil next to the pendant. They both produced the exact same signal on the PRO. So you can see why I dig so much foil. The pendant is gold, but it is thin and light with lots of open spaces that produce a signal that is the same as aluminum foil. That’s why I don’t pay a huge amount of attention on the VDI numbers. I notice them and it gives me a clue as to what might be in the ground, but if it is a high or mid tone or combination tone I’m going to recover the target. It’s extra work, but as you can see from my other hunts, I try not to leave much behind.

View attachment 2113525

NOTE: This scooping of all the mid and high tones works well in these areas. If I did that on land in most parks or homes I would dig up every square inch of ground and it would just not be practical. I dig all the mid and high tones, but with the CZ21 which gets most of the good stuff, but is not as sensitive to the finer small bits. I hope this makes sense to you.

DAY 3
I got my waders on and hit the water. It was still cold, but not as cold and not as windy. I spent 4 hours swingin the ATPro and covered the leftover water parts of 2 swimming areas. There were more targets than I thought there would be and I was surprised and pleased with the results. All together I found 35 coins with a face value of $3.26, 2 earring backs, 2 golds and a silver, an assortment of cheapie jewelry, a brass piece shaped like a bullet, a fishing lure, a tab, 5 sinkers, what looks like a Japanese token, 2 whole aluminum cans and bits of aluminum foil.

View attachment 2113526

The ring was what I was hoping for, but it was still a nice surprise to see it in the scoop. It rang up as a 46 on the Pro, still below the gold ring numbers on the control screen. Again a lighter and smaller ring and that’s the reason for the low numbers. It is a 14k made in Italy and has a makers mark. The first earring is also 14k and has 2 tiny diamonds in it. The other earring with the long chain is silver. The swimming areas have been very good to me lately. In the past 7 days I have found 26 silvers and 11 golds.

View attachment 2113527

View attachment 2113528

I believe this is a token and not a coin. It is the same on both sides and the writing loos like Japanese to me. If you recognize this one please let me know.

View attachment 2113529

DAY 4
I got permission to do another school. It was built in 1930 and added into in 1940 and again in 1980. The original 2 room school foundation that was there prior to the 1930 construction is located on the upper playground so there is potential for some older finds. The problem will be that in those days people didn’t have as much to loose and so the older finds should be sparse, and the more recent ones plentiful. Also the construction and addition of playground equipment has caused a lot of ground to be moved around and covered over which may make the older finds harder to find. Time will tell.

I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 103 coins with a face value of $5.88, a walking stick topper, a war nickel, a wheatie, an award token, a plated spoon, a rouge case, 3 cheapie rings, miscellaneous jewelry and the usual assortment of tabs, foil and slaw.

View attachment 2113531

The walking stick topper is very ornate and would look great polished up. The opening is for a small stick so a walking stick and not a cane. No idea how old it is or how to tell the age. One section of the school grounds has been detected recently. They were neat, but I still found where they had cut a few of the plugs and that area was strangely quieter ,signal wise, than the rest of the school.

View attachment 2113533

The war nickel is a 1943 S and the wheat is a 1945 in decent shape. That makes 6 hunts in a row with silver. Let’s see how long I can keep it going.

View attachment 2113532

Wondering around town I did manage to find a few pennies this week. I also found a Canadian dime in a coinstar as well as 8 quarters in a coin return of a drink machine. I stuck my finger I the coin return and it wouldn’t go in because the slot was full.

View attachment 2113530

So a great week for lots of small silver and gold and one neat oldie. Gas money was ok as well. I will be leaving for Florida in 2 days so hopefully I’ll find a few good spots on the beach. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Awesome Hunts!!! Congrats!!!

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing hunt!!

Hope the powers that be will consider this hunt as Banner worthy!!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing hunt!!

Hope the powers that be will consider this hunt as Banner worthy!!
Thanks to all for the kind comments.
SeabeeRon I would really like to have a banner post, but in my opinion this is not banner worthy. There were definitely some good hunts in this week, but not great ones. Your kind wishes are greatly appreciated. Thanks for the reply, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread