Wondering if it is worth it anylonger

Con

May 21, 2006
NJ
Detector(s) used
White's Vision
Hi All,
I wanted to write this to probably get some encouragement from my fellow brethren. I have been Metal Detecting for 3 years now. I live in NJ and have done a lot of researching, old maps, books. I look for Rev artifacts not for price but because I have a BA in History and I believe our history must be preserved. Now with the things going on in Washington it makes me feel no one in America notices that this is not what Our Founding Fathers intended.
I have done much research in trying to find locations maybe some scirmages. I have found some things such as a Reale 1782 the year the war ended and found my greatest find 8 unknown coppers with a flint all in the same hole. Now though, my hunts are running dry, most of the locations are protected or built over with malls or developments, I may just stop looking for locations and give up all together. It's a shame how developers and people have no respect for things that went on in our past to give them the right that they are practicing. I may just be looking too hard, who knows.

Thanks for listening

Con

Upvote 0

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting 8 years now. Your story is one that, if it were someone in my area, I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR! What I mean by that is this. People buy metal detectors in the hopes of finding "buried treasure" and artifacts worth alot of $. They take these detectors out, don't have much luck, and in the corner they go, never to be used again. That is what I'm hoping for. MORE FOR ME! Look at Don Hartman's posts and Neil in Jersey's posts. You have to find the backroads and forgotten spots that may not even be on old maps. We take walks in the woods and look for stone walls, long forgotten. That's how WE do it. I found lots of coins and relics that weren't worth alot when I started out and for the last 7 years. Up until the past year, when I joined T-Net, have I found the stuff worth a few $$$$. Now I'm cashing in on it. With 3 Banner finds within 5 weeks, A Best of 2008 Find, all I can say is DON"T GIVE UP! When you do find an old cellar hole, look at it for what it WAS, not for what it IS now. Look for the well, the crapper, out buildings, roads, high traffic areas, and stick to these. Back and forth, different angles, depths, different days mean alot too. Look at the 1787 Connecticut Copper I found 2 days ago. There were 15-20 dig holes around this thing and I found it, by just hitting the 10' by 10' square area AGAIN! I hope I swayed you to keep diggin'. Hogge :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Con

Con

May 21, 2006
NJ
Detector(s) used
White's Vision
Hi Hogg,
I understand what your saying. I didn't mean quitting Mding I just meant quitting to look for them spots you are talking about. A lot of development has really made things limited around here. But thanks I will keep trying when time permits. I appreciate your reply's a keep pulling them finds :)

Con

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know what you mean. Around here there are a few historic Indian sites that have been destroyed due to mining. One village has an interstate running through it now. Sometimes I wonder if the destruction has not been intentional.

As far as looking for new sites try river and creek crossings. Along and near the banks.

-Swartzie

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the founding fathers were here today they would be preping for revolution.

Some of my best Civil War relics have come from ol homsites. May end up being the same for the Rev War relics too. Everyone that survived had to go home and they braught there gear with them.

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In the words of Sir Winston Churchill: "Never, ever, give up!" Out here in NC I travel up to 2 hours away to go MDing. No matter what I find, it is worth it:
New locations visited, new people met. Stick with it!

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you dont mean that development should stop, so we can find more stuff. Sometimes we can sound more like archies, than archies do. This is a nice hobby, but the world changes all the time. Sure, I would like a field to not be developed, at least until I have cleaned it out of everything I want, but thats not going to happen. Those arrow heads and mercs will not change the world.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Times change, nothing ever stays the same. I think many of us "Baby Boomers" have a sort of romantic feel for the American Revolution and almost everything that pertains to our roots as a nation. This is because we were religiously and educationally brought up to believe our Founding Fathers were heroes (this is no longer the case). Today's America is far more divided than it ever was. Where we once were the Melting Pot of Europe; the days of social assimilation are over and we're now a nation where every man (women) does his own thing (as much as possible). The idea of being my brother's keeper or protector has departed our shores. Now it's mostly (not completely) all about self and to blazes with history. Anyone who works in a historically oriented museum knows this only too well. The crowds just aren't there anymore.

Does this mean we should give up? No! It's true we're at a low level today historically but everything changes. One day in the future there may be once again the large numbers who care.

dandan

Feb 24, 2006
In one of the most historic cities in one of the most historic areas of the country, they're busy building condos on the site of the fort that ALL civil war soldiers from a quad county area came to for basic training during the CW! I personally went to city hall to make sure they were aware of this before shovel hit dirt and the consensus was that "you can't stop progress" How very disheartening. Most people have no idea who walked the same ground before us and frankly could care less. We, as students of history see a completely different picture than most of our fellow citizens when we drive down the street or through the country side. We continue to trample on the past both physically and spiritually. God help us.

blackbeard1717

Sep 10, 2010
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also From New Jersey been searching some Revolutionary War areas. Mostly coming up with 1920's shotgun shells

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread