Where are the Mercedes’ guns?

Physics guy

Mar 31, 2024
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I just recently watched the National Geographic video The Battle for the Black Swan: https://tvfilm.newyorkfestivals.com/Winners/WinnerDetailsNew/8b5c4f0c-996e-44ba-8879-ecf380f16e9c

The debris field imagery in the video shows the remains of the chests of silver reals scattered by the explosion. I didn‘t see anything that looked like a cannon. The Mecedes was a 36-gun frigate. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuestra_Señora_de_las_Mercedes)

Because of their very large mass, the cannons shouldn‘t have been scattered further than the chests of reals. If the Black Swan debris field is the Mercedes I would have thought the center of the debris field would look more like this:
1711892268695.jpeg

This is the San Jose off of Colombia.
Spain said they found two cannons in the Black Swan debris field. So where are the other 34? Any thoughts?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread moved to appropriate forum, Introduction Forum is only for member introductions

OP
OP
P

Physics guy

Mar 31, 2024
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP
OP
P

Physics guy

Mar 31, 2024
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks! Glad I discovered TreasureNet.

Would iron cannons still be visible in the debris field or would they be too corroded to be recognizable? I don’t think they would have sunk completely into the seabed since the big clumps of reals were still sitting on top and silver is pretty dense.

I first got interested in shipwrecks as an investor. I was an Odyssey investor but luckily sold when their stock price doubled after they made their Black Swan announcement. So I made a nice profit and didn’t have a dog in the ensuing legal fight, but I followed the case out of curiosity. Luckily I didnt’t invest with Tommy Thompson (SS Central America) or GME (La Trinite). This last looks like a remake of the Black Swan drama, with the same cast (attorney James Goold), the same screenplay (“It’s a warship”), and the same ending (Hand it over.) Oh well. I still might be looking for a future investment though.

Glad to be aboard!

marconi beach

Jun 28, 2015
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
teknetics
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks! Glad I discovered TreasureNet.

Would iron cannons still be visible in the debris field or would they be too corroded to be recognizable? I don’t think they would have sunk completely into the seabed since the big clumps of reals were still sitting on top and silver is pretty dense.

I first got interested in shipwrecks as an investor. I was an Odyssey investor but luckily sold when their stock price doubled after they made their Black Swan announcement. So I made a nice profit and didn’t have a dog in the ensuing legal fight, but I followed the case out of curiosity. Luckily I didnt’t invest with Tommy Thompson (SS Central America) or GME (La Trinite). This last looks like a remake of the Black Swan drama, with the same cast (attorney James Goold), the same screenplay (“It’s a warship”), and the same ending (Hand it over.) Oh well. I still might be looking for a future investment though.

Glad to be aboard!
Check out RMS Republic, owned outright by Marty Bayerle.

OP
OP
P

Physics guy

Mar 31, 2024
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Have you been in touch with Marty?
No. Apologies if I implied I knew Martin or was in contact with him. I really only invest small amounts in treasure-hunting projects, just so I can feel I’m part of the hunt (or in this case, the dig), rather than to make money, although that‘s always nice.

If you were to start a new thread that tracked the Republic project, that would be cool.

marconi beach

Jun 28, 2015
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
teknetics
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
No. Apologies if I implied I knew Martin or was in contact with him. I really only invest small amounts in treasure-hunting projects, just so I can feel I’m part of the hunt (or in this case, the dig), rather than to make money, although that‘s always nice.

If you were to start a new thread that tracked the Republic project, that would be cool.
As soon as we mobilize I will

Whydah diver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread