610.6 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 15

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it is referred to as a cache blade, Beautiful find my friend

Why do you say "cache blade" wascit found buried, were there other blades found with it at same time and location?

Athens

Apr 27, 2024
Why do you say "cache blade" wascit found buried, were there other blades found with it at same time and location?

Sorry,let me clarify as I don't want to mis construe anyone.I used the term cache blade loosely,I do not know where member found it,So Yes if it was not found buried or with other blades,then my terminology is off.Most Native cultures in United States all had blades of some sort, and all different time periods,It all depends on material, location it is from and also shape and size to truly and accurately know exactly what balde it could be.Good looking out Thank you 👍

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what is called a preform. The lack of secondary (tertiary) flaking being the key indicator. They would rough out a preform blank using percussion flaking, typically at the site where the material was quarried. Later on it would be knapped into a point using pressure flaking.

OP
OP
D

Don Lewis

Apr 28, 2024
That is what is called a preform. The lack of secondary (tertiary) flaking being the key indicator. They would rough out a preform blank using percussion flaking, typically at the site where the material was quarried. Later on it would be knapped into a point using pressure flaking.
Could this possibly be a Paleo ovoid knife?

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ovoid knives are very thin. Yours is quarry blank. From the single pic, it looks like it’s flat on one side and humped on the other. That a typical reduction pattern. Those are quarry blanks called turtle backs.
That is a great description of his blade. Very few turtle backs show secondary flaking or edge work proving they are blanks or used to strike off thin flake knives.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have a FANTASTIC FIND :)

OP
OP
D

Don Lewis

Apr 28, 2024
Ovoid knives are very thin. Yours is quarry blank. From the single pic, it looks like it’s flat on one side and humped on the other. That a typical reduction pattern. Those are quarry blanks called turtle backs.
Thsnks

OP
OP
D

Don Lewis

Apr 28, 2024
Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread