what books should a newbie to metal detecting read?

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Funk,

I have looked at several metal detecting
books, they all carry small gems that can
be useful.

However, knowing that I have good days and
bad days, I would recommend you start out
with

The Bible. ;)

have a good un............

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Shermanville,

Thanks for the reply. Don't remember seeing the Book of Garrett in the Bible.....sorry just trying to be funny.

HH
Funkman

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
for treasure hunting see Treasure hunters Manual 6 and treasure Hunters Manual 7 by Karl von Mueller. For coin hunting see Coin Shooting I and Coin Shooting II by
H. Glenn Carson. There are also many guides specifically written for particular detectors to help you get the most from your machine. exanimo, ss

oldestjim

Sep 5, 2004
Southern California
The Bible? Well there is a book out called "The Nuggetshooter's Bible." It was recently reviewed in the GPAA and W&E Treasure magazines. Also in "The Alaska Goldfield."

FrankTM

Sep 4, 2006
Illinois (Dekalb County)
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350
I just recently got involved and these are books I liked:

The Urban Treasure Hunter (got it from library)
Lets Talk Treasure Hunting - Garrett (ordered online less than $10)

Hope this helps
Frank

oldestjim

Sep 5, 2004
Southern California
Actually there are dozens of good books. Most of the manufacturers
also directly or indirectly publish/carry them. Then there are the various Treasure magazines. Many "TH" clubs have a librarty. Lots of choices...

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
"COIN HUNTING IN DEPTH" by Dick Stout is pretty good.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Actually the 1st one that comes to mind is your owners manual. Then look for books and tips on your particular machine and get to know it and it's idiosyncrasies. Some of the books that might catch your eye can be borrowed through your local library interlibrary loan program. Look through them and then you can decide which to actually purchase and put in your personal library. JMO

oldestjim

Sep 5, 2004
Southern California
Old "western & eastern" and "lost treasure" treasure magazines that have articles
that were written during the 1980-90's by some of the (then) most knowlegeable authors are still available from many sources.

Ty Brooks, Lucile Bowen, Dorian Cook, Glen Carson, Charles Garrett, Roy Lagal, "Rocky" LeGay, Ed Morris, George Mroczkowski, K von Mueller; and many others of that calibre. They were in the "trenches," and not on the sidelines.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stoney56 said:
Actually the 1st one that comes to mind is your owners manual. Then look for books and tips on your particular machine and get to know it and it's idiosyncrasies. Some of the books that might catch your eye can be borrowed through your local library interlibrary loan program. Look through them and then you can decide which to actually purchase and put in your personal library. JMO

Exactly right, stoney56. Then, follow up with Detectorist by Robert H. Sickler. An excellent book on MD'ing techniques.

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
Okay

I didn't know there was a book in the bible called the book of Garrett.
I see on his web site he has a feww books which was is best for a newbie or someone that has done metal detecting in the past century but is now getting back into it?

Mr. Mojo

Jan 9, 2007
Hummelstown, PA
Detector(s) used
Exp II
Re: whIs Dick Stoudt still alive???

I like the pictures in his books. He is always standing in the woods, no brush. The woods are obviously not in Pennsylvania. You couldn't see 20 feet at times. I almost laugh when I see them. Sure would like to find sites in that shape. Only time to hunt the woods here is in winter. He has the unsinkable Molly Brown attitude though. I bet he does have some pictures of brushy situations. It would be nice to know if even the masters crawl through the brush.

CRAWL..............................DETECT.........................CRAWL...............DETECT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread