Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Intersection of Routes 11 and 12 on Front St. in the town of Chenango above Binghamton. In 1779 troops under General Sullivan attacked and torched an "Indian Castle" and the villiage is now called "Castle Creek". "Castle" in this case refers to log and bark longhouses full of pumpkins with a log pallisade around the compound. ::) I've got a bad feeling all the relics are at least two inches deeper than I can detect. But I am hopeful. I suspect where the original structure was, but it is long ago developed.

The riflemen under Col. Selin were dressed like the two fellers with haversacks on their left hip in this image (I'm the tall, handsome devil in the center. :D )

WashakRondy2.jpg

The town of "Union" is where General Clinton and Gen. Sullivan met up before heading to Newton for a large battle (outside Elmira).

When I find their campsite along the Chenango River youll read about it here first.

OP
OP
azmetaldetector

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
Cool. Thanks for the information. Are there many books on the Rev. war in upstate NY that I could get my hands on?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Saratoga : Turning Point of America's Revolutionary War by Richard M. Ketchum

The Battle for New York by Barnet Schecter

The Colonial History of New York Under the Dutch 5 volumes. Brodhead, O'Callaghan, and Jameson

DANGEROUS JOURNEYS 1757

A story of the New York frontier during the French and Indian War in 1757. Reprint made possible by Wells' daughter, Marjorie Harrison.

THE TENTH MEN The Hudson Valley in 1777
....ill-equipped, often outnumbered soldiers of the Continental Army...Traces the campaign of the Fourth Regiment of the New York Line, from the woodlots of Westchester to the farmlands of Dutchess and Columbia Counties, culminating in the pivotal Battle of Bemis Heights in Saratoga. Impressive and meticulous novel...of civilian and military life in the Hudson Valley during the American Revolution. Saratoga and the two battles on Bemis Heights are masterly recreations of the termination of the Burgoyne invasion...

May 10, 2007
Niagara Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Hello,
The best books I know of are Benson Lossings " Pictoral Fieldbook of the Revolution", This is a two volume set and it is the Bible for finding Revolutionary War sites. This book is hard to find, but it would be worthwile to find.
I hope this helps.

ray in ny

Jan 21, 2006
southern tier ny
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S CLASSIC III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thanks for that link, baspinall--I may have to retire to read all that--My mouth waters at the thought of all those leads.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions