Waltham pocket watch

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never seen one of these at a thrift store. But when I saw it today I decided it was coming with me! I could not get the backing off at first I was hoping it was gold but it is 14 K gold filled. Works perfectly fine has some marks on the inside of the face. But for $29.99 couldn't leave it there. Even the kid working said I can't believe someone would buy that old junky watch! Oh the necklace was .99 cents. 50 grams sterling silver w/ pearls.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437095490.516439.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437095525.529064.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437095554.332818.jpg

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Some of those do get good money. Did you look it up yet? Nice necklace, as far as price and weight. (Sorta ugly, IMHO) Are you going to scrap or sell?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for your info I will check out that site. I also wanted to share that I think I broke it. And still works but I'm not able to adjust the time anymore. Boo

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you pull too hard on the stem of the watch? If so, sometimes if you play with it a little, you can reseat the stem and get it to work again.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Many Pocket Watches, even open faced ones are lever set. This means you have to open (if it pops open by pushing down on the crown) the face plate or removing it by unscrewing it to get to the lever which is usually at the 1:00 to 2:00 position on the watch. If there is a lever, pull it out gently with a fingernail, then turn the crown to set the time. Some require pulling up on the crown to set the time. Otherwise, follow the suggestion by mkulltra above.

Frank

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Art Deco era watch. If the watch clicks smoothly between the winding and setting positions, but you still can't set the time on the watch, then there is an internal problem with the winding/setting mechanism. Often, old dried up grease can freeze the winding/setting mechanism and it takes a thorough cleaning and re-lubrication to get everything moving again. If it doesn't click between the setting and winding position and moves freely up and down (doesn't "click") then it probably has a broken sleeve. That watch is not a lever set type.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Art Deco era watch. If the watch clicks smoothly between the winding and setting positions, but you still can't set the time on the watch, then there is an internal problem with the winding/setting mechanism. Often, old dried up grease can freeze the winding/setting mechanism and it takes a thorough cleaning and re-lubrication to get everything moving again. If it doesn't click between the setting and winding position and moves freely up and down (doesn't "click") then it probably has a broken sleeve. That watch is not a lever set type.

You are probably correct in this statement but what tells you that the Pocket Watch is not a lever set type? I ask because a very large majority of Waltham open-faced and Hunter cased pocket watches are lever set!

http://barrygoldberg.net/waltham.htm

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opened it up, there was no lever. But this did allow the dial to pop up and I was able to set the time correctly. And it works good now. Next is to get it on line.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After all that and seeing that they sell between 50 and $100 I decided to keep it. It is in the box with all the other stuff I don't need but decided to keep all of that as well. The box is called, the stuff I will sell when I get rid of all the other junk! Serial number dated it to 1894, I don't know I just think that stuff is super cool! Hope to share the history of it with my kids someday and hopefully they enjoy it. If not it will end up on eBay!

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After all that and seeing that they sell between 50 and $100 I decided to keep it. It is in the box with all the other stuff I don't need but decided to keep all of that as well. The box is called, the stuff I will sell when I get rid of all the other junk! Serial number dated it to 1894, I don't know I just think that stuff is super cool! Hope to share the history of it with my kids someday and hopefully they enjoy it. If not it will end up on eBay!

Wow. Much older than I thought. That's a shame to put in a box. It's still working and 120 years old. You should put it on display somewhere.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that idea. Figures I was at an estate sale not too long ago and they had hundreds of pocket watch display cases. I'm going to have to get one. I do like that idea a lot. Thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread