txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a fantastic few weeks of volunteer work at the battlefield in Brownsville. I had a blast, and got my first whole canon ball. The time the archs, put into a project like this is amazing. Another great find of mine was a pocket watch that dates era also. Hope y'all like the pics.

Attachments

• 183610_10150105399263010_153953973009_6291234_7429928_n.jpg
    183610_10150105399263010_153953973009_6291234_7429928_n.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 831
  • 180867_10150105399498010_153953973009_6291238_263218_n.jpg
    180867_10150105399498010_153953973009_6291238_263218_n.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 864
  • 182832_10150105399343010_153953973009_6291236_6350008_n.jpg
    182832_10150105399343010_153953973009_6291236_6350008_n.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 817
OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a few more pics

Attachments

• DSCN0013.JPG
    DSCN0013.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,159
  • palo_alto_2011_001.jpg
    palo_alto_2011_001.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 868
  • palo_alto_2011_004.jpg
    palo_alto_2011_004.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 986

sctoddc

Jan 4, 2010
Greenwood SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: great finds, wtg. still looking for my first battle site find.

Todd

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Nice finds. I gotta get out there and find a little myself when they open back up!!!

Erdspiegel

Feb 7, 2009
Berlin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6a
XP-GmaxxII
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats to these nice finds! :thumbsup:

Good luck & keep on going. :headbang:

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
so you are saying theres archaeologists and metal detectorists sharing the same space and collectively working together for a common goal or cause :o :o :laughing7: :laughing7: thats great to hear and excellent for the hobby and our reputation , most archies dislike or resent us as a whole for a number of reasons . i commend you on helping strengthen the relations between the two. myself and a few of my fellow club members here in Connecticut have been helping some archies from a large museum in locating , surveying and dig on a 1637 Pequot Indian fort battle that early English colonists attacked . it has been real rewarding for both groups and each has shown alot of respect for the other . great pictures and great pr for the hobby Txkickergirl . :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been involved with this for the last 5 years, but they started it about 7 or 8 years ago. It is great to work with them. I also have been out with some of the folks from Texas Arch. Society to survey a civil war battlesite here, as a result of our work at the battlefield. With recent budget cuts now would be a great time to introduce yourselves to various historic folks, serve on committees, and let them know you are available if they need you.

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds.. Great to be able to search a spot like that..what type of cannon ball is it ? Theres gotta be some real nice finds taken from there !! Good hunting!!

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
leddel said:
so you are saying theres archaeologists and metal detectorists sharing the same space and collectively working together for a common goal or cause :o :o :laughing7: :laughing7: thats great to hear and excellent for the hobby and our reputation , most archies dislike or resent us as a whole for a number of reasons . i commend you on helping strengthen the relations between the two. myself and a few of my fellow club members here in Connecticut have been helping some archies from a large museum in locating , surveying and dig on a 1637 Pequot Indian fort battle that early English colonists attacked . it has been real rewarding for both groups and each has shown alot of respect for the other . great pictures and great pr for the hobby Txkickergirl . :icon_thumright:

No offense but I would like to make a clarification. I have been to Palo Alto with Txkickergirl. She is the President of our detecting club in the RGV. The Archies and us are working together, but what we the detectorist get out of this is the thrill of the hunt and better relations with people in places that might in the future enable us to detect areas that are normally off limits.
This being said, the archies are the ones with material benefit from this relationship. They do get free labor and the combined skills of many people who have individual decades of experience detecting. Basically they get the free use of experts in detecting. I was told by one archie who I was working with, and I quote, " I would rather see history rot in the ground if we (the archies) are not going to recover it.
I am sorry to say it but in my opinion the Archies are our friends only as long as it benefits them. The moment we are not providing them with an viable material benefit I have a feeling the ones I work with are going to turn on us like ravenous wolfs.
Right now as I write they (The Archies) along with associated Government entities like the National Park Service are in the process of attempting to get the Texas antiquity law of 1969 changed. That law states that if it is in the ground for more than 100 years the state owns it even if it is on private property and if you dig that CW bullet and keep it you are a criminal thug.
This was not good enough. The change that if being attempted to this law will make it 50 YEARS INSTEAD OF 100!!!!
Now this was a rumor I had heard. Rumor no more!! I just returned from the Texas Council of Treasure Clubs meeting in Conroe Texas held 19/20 March of 2010. A seminar concerning this was given and it was requested that all Metal Detecting and treasure clubs in Texas call, write, or email their state repsentative and request that this modification to the law be stopped.
Personally I feel insulted at the time I gave to the NPS and the archies when they are trying to bring about laws that are detrimental to the sport/hobby of Metal Detecting and treasure hunting. I guess I will smile and continue to help at Palo Alto when able while working behind the scenes to fight this law and as far as I am concerned the prior legislation of 1969.
Sorry, but as cordial as relations might be, it seems that the Archies and Government officials will never be our friends!!

PS: Txkikergirl is one of the most devoted and hard charging detectorist that I have ever met period!!! Peace be to all!!

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As usual, there are not just two sides to every story, but many multiples of sides to a story. However, this is a very familiar one that we have heard over and over. As detectorists and treasure hunters, we must learn to differentiate between the "nice" archie people and their policies. Kind of like loving the "sinner" while hating the "sin"...

Make no mistake about it. There are very few archie types out there who would not rather let it "rot" in the ground than have a "treasure hunter" dig it up and make any type of gain on it...this despite the fact that were it not for taxpayer dollars funding their grants and programs they would not have a dollar to put gas in their vehicles to drive around in and enforce the ARPA.... >:(

Kind of boggles the mind...But, I digress...

Congrats on the first cannon ball!! No matter the circumstances that must have been a thrill! Hopefully the next time you come upon one you get to keep what you find :headbang:

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am doing what I can as often as I can to change the minds of those who frown on us in a historical sense. If that means busting my butt, digging up things for the parks people, so be it, cause I am getting to do what I love, and digging on a national battlefield is no undue hardship... it's a blast. I have no doubts that one day we will on more equal grounds with these folks, but it takes time and effort and the ones that have negative views about us won't be around forever. My interest is the same as them, creating a tangible record of history sad for them they get so tied and bogged down in their own red tape and politics that they miss out of the pure simple joy of the search. I seriously had given much thought in going back to school and becoming an arch myself, but then I would loose my appreciation of discovery and become more concerned with my next grant and what is going on in the school yard than what is beneath the ground. Instead I have opted to keep my job in human resources, and take courses for pure enjoyment. There is also a number of digs around the state that one can participate in. So i can expand my knowledge and experience yet not get caught up into the endless poltics that come along with the job.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds!!! Glad you're keeping the hobby alive & well all the while giving us metal detectorists a good reputation. :icon_thumleft:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You go girl! thats all i gotta say about that!.............HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread