Utica parks

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea we have a whole greenway thing going on here in the city thats doing the same thing.

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Have you ever tried detecting the canal locks(picnic areas) i think lock19 is in utica(well between there and Herkimer)..and looks pretty promissing from seeing it on google earth

Shawn

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
For the record.

Listing on the National Historic register does NOT make it off limits to detecting. It is simply a listing. The federal government has zero control or say so over the property. It is 100% controlled by the owners. They would still be city parks.

The city could decide not to allow detecting because of the designation but it would be totally their doing. If they attempt to do that then I would suggest you make them aware of the what I have just stated. The info is available on the National Park Service website. They administer the program. It clearly states that the owner has full control of their property.

It is odd that I am reading this as I have just written this up for the Western & Eastern Treasures Legislative column. If you find out that detecting has been axed as a result of the listing then please contact me. Try to do it BEFORE they make the ban as it is much easier to stop a regulation then to repeal one. Cannot make any guarantees but will do our best. I am also in NY so this hits close to home.

Mark Schuessler
FMDAC Alliance Liaison

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
utica needs to get it's act together. i worked in east utica at wonder/ hostess for 31 years. during that time i saw business after business close down or move. including wonder after 105 years. luckily i got my pension. when the company announced closure the city said "oh well" and didn't offer to help keep it open. 3 G.E. plants, paper mills, textile mills, bendix corp.,utica cutlery, special metals, a lot more. gone. all that is left is fast-food joints and retirement homes. now they want tourism but they want to restrict. shame on you, utica. the eirie canal made utica a booming town and the politics made it a mess. i feel better. thanx for listening.

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
flyinguy

You can insert practically any NY state city in that post and it will ring true. It's not just the area. It's the whole damn state.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
flyinguy said:
utica needs to get it's act together. i worked in east utica at wonder/ hostess for 31 years. during that time i saw business after business close down or move. including wonder after 105 years. luckily i got my pension. when the company announced closure the city said "oh well" and didn't offer to help keep it open. 3 G.E. plants, paper mills, textile mills, bendix corp.,utica cutlery, special metals, a lot more. gone. all that is left is fast-food joints and retirement homes. now they want tourism but they want to restrict. shame on you, utica. the eirie canal made utica a booming town and the politics made it a mess. i feel better. thanx for listening.

And the Base (Griffiss) in Rome closed... that didnt help either...

Mark S. said:
flyinguy

You can insert practically any NY state city in that post and it will ring true. It's not just the area. It's the whole damn state.

I think Rochester is still kicking some arse and doing well...

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Amsterdam used to be a thriving town. When the carpet mills moved south in the 40's the town just kind of fell apart. I moved to Michigan because there were no jobs in New York. Now there are no jobs in Michigan! Could it be my presence that caused it?

redneck13126

Oct 25, 2009
ilion,NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra Pro, Fisher f19, Fisher F4, tracker IV, new whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your right its the whole state you cant do anything with out a permit or getting in troule now i feel that metal detecting hurts nothing and cleans up more than we do harm its just the goverment in this state trying to control every thing and get there money at the cost of the people no matter what. some one needs to show these people whats up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread