URGENT POSSIBLE EXPLODING CANNON BALLS

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry about that, i was in a hurry, when i get home i will post the pictures of the rest of them.
a friend found a exploding cannon ball some years ago, its now in the museum, then another guy found the one in the first picture, he swares its a shot put. now i found out why, its because the old shcool had a box of them and the kids still use them as shot puts. you can see why i put urgent, they where seen tossing them around on the beach yesterday. as kid i rpobobly threw them, 40 years ago, apparently they where in the school from the beginning, 1920's, where they came from know one seems to know.

Attachments

• Clip_10.jpg
    Clip_10.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 2,669
  • Clip_9.jpg
    Clip_9.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 2,093
OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
This has already been INDENTIFIED as a shot put...

WTF do you keep going on about Hmmm?

http://www.pochefamily.org/books/SolidShotEssentialsMod.html

A Non-Authentic Example: The figure below shows a classic non-authentic ball actually put up for sale at a recent Civil War Relic Show. It appears to be about the correct size for a 12 Pdr. caliber cannonball, but it is not of Civil War vintage nor even a military cannonball. The metal of the ball is somewhat shiny; this points to steel rather than cast iron. Excavated cast iron will always have rust and visible pitting while excavated steel will have much less rust and little or no pitting.

The flat countersunk screw also points to non-authenticity. This screw could cover a filler hole for a Shot Put, or it could be covering a point of attachment of the ball to a larger structure like a fence or gatepost. None of these characteristics point to an authentic piece.
how do we know the teacher from the school did not make this web, she has not sug yet , at over 300 lsb , when she sings it will be over, till then, i am not done.

Upvote 0

Ramitt

Jul 24, 2007
It is always better to cling to the farout extreme answer, than the logical and most likely answer regardless of how much proof is given.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
hmmm said:
Montana Jim said:
This has already been INDENTIFIED as a shot put...

WTF do you keep going on about Hmmm?

http://www.pochefamily.org/books/SolidShotEssentialsMod.html

A Non-Authentic Example: The figure below shows a classic non-authentic ball actually put up for sale at a recent Civil War Relic Show. It appears to be about the correct size for a 12 Pdr. caliber cannonball, but it is not of Civil War vintage nor even a military cannonball. The metal of the ball is somewhat shiny; this points to steel rather than cast iron. Excavated cast iron will always have rust and visible pitting while excavated steel will have much less rust and little or no pitting.

The flat countersunk screw also points to non-authenticity. This screw could cover a filler hole for a Shot Put, or it could be covering a point of attachment of the ball to a larger structure like a fence or gatepost. None of these characteristics point to an authentic piece.
how do we know the teacher from the school did not make this web, she has not sug yet , at over 300 lsb , when she sings it will be over, till then, i am not done.

It is no longer important what you think... this topic was always about what the rest of us thought it was since you were clueless - which is obviously something you could care less about.

Upvote 0

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm, are you familiar with Acom's Razor? Look it up and put a big green "Check" mark on this topic.

Upvote 0

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
I don't understand what the problem is? If you are concerned about it at all, call the police, fire department, or bomb squad. Why would you accept the advice of complete strangers on the web if you have any concerns at all?

You either aren't actually concerned or you just want people to pat you on the back for your concern. We don't intend to do that so you will have to look for gratification elsewhere. Call the police and quit wasting our time.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
jb7487 said:
I don't understand what the problem is? If you are concerned about it at all, call the police, fire department, or bomb squad. Why would you accept the advice of complete strangers on the web if you have any concerns at all?

You either aren't actually concerned or you just want people to pat you on the back for your concern. We don't intend to do that so you will have to look for gratification elsewhere. Call the police and quit wasting our time.
I believe he has called the police and I think hes a volunteer fireman. I doubt they know anymore that we do. I dont know if they confiscated the kids equipment or not. Hmmm doesnt explain very well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought i would share this bit of info, a friend had told me that the elder indians said there are 3 more cannon balls sitting near some old long houses. whats interisting is, the young indian who told me this, :coffee2: told me he picked up a gold coin , he said it dated around 1819.

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm said:
Thought i would share this bit of info, a friend had told me that the elder indians said there are 3 more cannon balls sitting near some old long houses. whats interisting is, the young indian who told me this, :coffee2: told me he picked up a gold coin , he said it dated around 1819.

Three MORE?! I haven't seen the First one yet! :D

Upvote 0

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This thread has the best title ever. There can be no debate.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hmmmm,

Go back to your original post,

Click on Modify,

Click on Message icon down arrow,

Click on Solved,

The Green Check will appear.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i first posted this topic i mentioned "a friend found a exploding cannon ball some years ago, its now in the museum" after going to the musem 3 times only to find it closed , i finaly got there when it was open, i asked to see the cannon ball, she said 'its locked away till the cops come get it, she would not let me see it, she gave me a picture and said she would e mail me the color one. here it is.

Attachments

• cball.jpg
    cball.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 324
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions