Tuttle Creek State Park

samuel_schumaker

Jan 15, 2008
Holton, Ks
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro w/ Sunray, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Curious if anyone has done any detecting at the park below the dam? I know country stampede is held there every summer so im sure with all the partiers that there would be a bunch of pull tabs and bottle caps but there should be a fair amount of clad and maybe some jewerly that the drunks lost. I emailed the parks address and they said all you need is a vehicle permit and your good to go so im sure theres some people that have detected there before. Not sure if you would find anytihing old as i dont know when the lake and park were built. Anyone tried it?

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a great idea. With a good coin shooting machine you might really clean up.
You got me wondering about when the lake was built. I remember fishing in it in the mid 60's.
Funds were appropriated in 1938, wow I would have guessed the 50's

Here is more than you ever wanted to know about the history of the lake

http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/TC/History.cfm

I'll bet somebody hunts it right after the Country Stampede while the coins are shallow. Don't forget the vendor areas.
I'm south of Salina by the way

OP
OP
samuel_schumaker

samuel_schumaker

Jan 15, 2008
Holton, Ks
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro w/ Sunray, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
From what i read on there it actually wasnt built until the early 50's which is what i kind of figured. I think i will try it a little this spring and maybe right after stampede. Thanks for the link

al3k5y

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2013
Isn't there a city under the lake? Are you allowed to detect around/in it when the tide is low? I hearnuou can see somw of the buildings at that time.

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've hunted there after the Stampede and even found a 1888 IH there next to a huge tree so has to be some history in the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread