Treasure in Columbiana County

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
When I was younger, in the '70's, I detected with my Dad. At the time, I did a lot of reading and some actual research. Since I never followed up, I'll share some of it here (best to my memory):

Fredricktown: above the village on the eastern size of the creek, there was a rail road track, before the bridge (now gone) a waterfall, that area up top was reputed to be an old Indian burial ground and in the late 18th and early 19th century a haven for robbers. It is Vodrey land, meaning it is in trust as a nature preserve (if I remember right) and, is slated for transfer to Beaver Creek State Park.

Beaver Creek State Park: I haven't the faintest idea if anyone would be permitted to detect in the park, but... Sprucevale (a canal era ghost town) might produce something interesting. Also, if you go to Gaston's Mill, the red bridge, on its east end is a trail that follows the creek south (towards Sprucevale). If you follow this trail a mile or more, it crosses the open foundation of what probably was a locktender's house. It is a cool spot.

Bowen Cemetery: north of Lusk Lock, very hard to find. When I was a kid you had to crawl across a twisted 19th century iron bridge, then trek up an overgrown and barely discernable trail to reach it. Once there you could see the sunken graves under a thick mat of ivy. Very old and super cool. Now, the bridge has been replaced and it's a bit more visited. I always wondered if some old coins were waiting to be found.

Well, hope somebody has fun with the above.

F

fyrenut

Heya . I am from across the line in PA.. anyone heard of anything from the Dutch Zellner Gang along the Pa ohio line...This is a widely know yet little facts type of story passed on over the years. Main story that is always consistent is the use of caves outside present day East end of East Liverpool and present day Glascow in Pa. up the Beaver Creek (tho not sure how far). They operated in this area roughly 1885 to 1905.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
ALL State parks in Ohio is off limits except at the beach.i emailed the State and they said you could hunt only beaches .sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread