Trash next to Treasure

richdigger

Apr 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
BH Sharp Shooter
So I have been playing with my SS2 and I am trying to figure out what kind of readings to dig if there is a lot of iron in the ground. Basically if you read what the guys using the SE's and the minelabs are doing is digging on iron that will pitch high to them one way or another when they sweep their coil over the target. I figure with some practice I should be able to do the same. I have not had much luck yet but have found some none coin targets that were not iron (old bullet tops) right in with the iron so I figure I am getting close I run in disc, Discrim turned all the way down I hear a ton of iron and have been doing multiple sweeps in different directions over the target moving Slooow to hear if it changes to a higher pitch tone. I am doing this on an old homesite that I believe was torn down due to a huge number of old iron nails. Has anyone ever even tried this with a BH and if so what are you listening for or what mode are you running in and has it worked. I can run through the area and not pickup hardly a peep if the discrim is up but turn it down and there is iron everywhere I know there is some old goodies there if I can pick through the iron.

cheezinoot

Jun 11, 2006
Emmons,MN
hey richdigger,Ihave a SS2 and run in disc always. Set your disc so you null out nails,that would be about 4 clicks up from low.

OP
OP
R

richdigger

Apr 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
BH Sharp Shooter
Yes, I could just discrim out the iron but I think it will mask anything else that is right by the iron target. Thus the term "iron mask" what I am getting at that is that the coin could be in very close with the iron and thus I would not hear any signal but if I can pick through and listen to the iron and sweep from other directions I might be able to separate the coin from the iron. I believe the key is to sweep really slow. The other non coins that I have found with the iron may only beep Through the iron a couple of times out of say 20 passes over it with the coil. I am not sure if the BH is capable enough to try and do this but I figured I would try. I have debated on just digging all signals but it will take a long time to clear out this much iron.
Any other thoughts or ideas welcome. GL and HH

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is pretty much an unsophisticated detector and you won't get the seperation you want unless you trade up to a much more expensive unit. I had the same problem when I first began. But, I have a little inexpensive Tesoro Silver Max I won at a hunt and it discriminates out iron better than my thousand dollar detector, sorry to say. You are just about going to have to dig everything unless you just want to do coin shooting. Monty

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
It won't limit your targets. If I turn off Iron, it gives a correct reading on every target. Remember to always re-check your hole for multiple items.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I and everyone on this forum would love to have a detector that is correct on every target How much will you take for that one? :wink: monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I know what you meant. What I was saying is that you are still going to get some "good" signals that really are "bad" signals even when iron is discriminated out. You will get hits on aluminum cans and lawnmower slaw being shown as silver, you will get hits on rusted iron due to the halo effect. If you get a "good" signal , dig down and find nothing, you have probably dug a small rusted nail among other things due to the halo effect caused by the rust that has leached into the ground. The halo effect fools even the best detectors sometimes. If you don't discriminate nickels you will get some trash also, but gold often shows up in that range. When I was using a BH I would go over a tot lot and pick out all the trash first with no discrimination and I found a gold pin once. Then I would discriminate out everything except coins and go back and often found coins I had missed the first time around. What it boils down to is that being able to discriminate iron is a blessing many times, but it isn't infallable and often it is best to "dig everything" as you will read often on this forum. Good luck. Monty

OP
OP
R

richdigger

Apr 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
BH Sharp Shooter
Thanks for the info guys I still have been playing with the disc and sens and have got mixed results. I have decided that if it sounds fishing jumping back and forth iron to coin or any combo with coin to dig. So far it is about 50/50 coin/trash. However that is 50% more coins that I would have never found. 2 days ago I dug a 1910 wheat about 6in down in a hard hunted area it was next to a piece of iron about 2or3 inch's away. I heard both hits got the iron out first then the coin rang every pass so I guess for now I will dig if it sounds funny in any way. multiple hits etc. thanks for all the feedback I will keep you posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread