Traditional Archery?

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Anyone shoot a longbow or recurve bow? Not a compound, a real bow. Compounds are separate shooting devices that are great fun but they are not bows and really should not be considered archery.

I don't hunt as there is no hunting in the Florida Keys but I've always shot a bow since I was a kid. Started with a Bear recurve and now shoot longbows most of the time. I like both the older Howard Hill style and the modern reflex-deflex designs by 21st Century and other makers.

Mostly I shoot out at my boat shop in the boonies. I have a dozen McKenzie foam targets set all around out to 60 yards. Often I take a break from work and shoot off my roof or out a window at the foam animals. I only wish McKenzie made foam human forms like ancient soldiers and knights and things.

So any Robin Hoods out there?

Old Town

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Town said:
I only wish McKenzie made foam human forms like ancient soldiers and knights and things.

Here's a tip for you... Give the homeless a few bucks and have them run around your house. The only thing is that you would have to use the action archery arrows withe the rubber tips to avoid serious injuries. But it's way more sporting than shooting foam targets. ;D

I have shot my recurve bow in years, but that is something I might like to take up again. Last time I shot target or field archery was in the earl 70's and the equipment has come a long way since then.

OP
OP
Old Town

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
spartacus53 said:
Old Town said:
I only wish McKenzie made foam human forms like ancient soldiers and knights and things.

Here's a tip for you... Give the homeless a few bucks and have them run around your house. The only thing is that you would have to use the action archery arrows withe the rubber tips to avoid serious injuries. But it's way more sporting than shooting foam targets. ;D

I have shot my recurve bow in years, but that is something I might like to take up again. Last time I shot target or field archery was in the earl 70's and the equipment has come a long way since then.

Spart, the problem with the homeless is they don't generally move very well when flushed. Kinda like shooting a hay bale that just fell of the pickup truck. But I do like the idea in some obscene way.

OT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I have a Ben Pearson 45# recurve that I have not been able to shoot for a few years. The upper limb has a crack and the bow is kinda twisted when strung up. I guess that it is time for a new one.

VPR

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I started shooting bows when I was 10 years old. I have had almost all types of recurves,although I have never shot a longbow. I have hunted with bows throughout the years. I still own several recurves, a 35 lb Ben Pearson,50 lb Bear Grizzly recurve,and 50 lb Bear Tigercat recurve. I now have back problmes and can't shoot a bow at all,but I am hanging onto them,because one day I may be able to shoot again. rockhound

OP
OP
Old Town

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
rockhound said:
I started shooting bows when I was 10 years old. I have had almost all types of recurves,although I have never shot a longbow. I have hunted with bows throughout the years. I still own several recurves, a 35 lb Ben Pearson,50 lb Bear Grizzly recurve,and 50 lb Bear Tigercat recurve. I now have back problmes and can't shoot a bow at all,but I am hanging onto them,because one day I may be able to shoot again. rockhound

Hang in there. Things have a way of healing over time when you are not paying attention. Unless you happen to be 97 years old. Then you just might be done.

Shooting the longbow is no different than the recurve except I think the longbow is a tad easier to hit with. It's more forgiving of bad form.

OT

Gaijun1

Oct 11, 2010
Morgantown Wv
I Shoot All Bows I Love The Recurves Because Their Aint No Sights On Em
Thats The Way I Hunt Lately Its Been Compound Since My Cancer Surgery
But ill Be Back To Recurve Next Year

Grafixwild

Oct 18, 2010
Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I shot and hunted with a 60 lb. black widow recurve for about twenty years. I'd still be doing it if not for some bone spurs in my spine that caused atrophy in my right arm. Because of that muscle loss I can't draw a bow anymore. :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread