Thrift Store Sterling Jackpot!

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made a killer score today - maybe my best find yet! Was in a thrift store in a neighboring city and spotted this serving tray on the bottom shelf:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453608921.320503.jpg
Now, this store typically has basic silverplate pieces priced at $10 and up - no real bargains unless they miss something. I flipped over this tray and noticed peeling on the bottom, and immediately thought it was a poorly made piece with a peeling finish. Then I noticed this...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453609261.013297.jpg
Turns out the peeling finish was just some sort of yellowed cellophane type material, and I'm positive that is why the thrift store missed this - it looked like junk at first glance. But I think it is a protective film that the previous owner put on to save their table from scratches or something. I really don't know, but its not damage and came right off. Long story short, I walked out the door (after a nerve wracking minute at the cash register!) with 1928 grams of sterling for a whopping....
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453609423.178242.jpg
And apparently after it sat on the store shelf for 2 days!

Needless to say, after a long fruitless day at the storage auction and an afternoon doing the tedious thrift store circuit, this was a welcome reward, and may just have made my girlfriend a convert to this rewarding hobby! Thanks for reading and happy hunting to all.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
61 and a bit Oz?!? That's insanely heavy for a dinner serving plate! If buying silver 15/oz, that's some FAT profit!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure keeps hope alive. That's like a throwback to the 1980s thrift shop finds. Hey! silvers edged up a bit on spot value and makes it even better.

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done! You don't see those every day

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn that's a nice score!! Great job!! Nothing like skipping out of a store knowing you struck it good!! That piece is worth much more than melt value too!! ☠

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanna double your money ? :P

Wd.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The peeling finish was probably lacquer.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm resurrecting my own thread because it has come time to get this tray listed, and I wanted to ask your opinion on how to go about listing it. I was wondering if you think it would be best to a.) list at auction starting at spot value, b.) high buy-it-now with it set to automatically decline any offers at or below spot value, c.) auction starting low with a reserve at spot value, or d.) auction starting at a low price with no reserve, understanding that it will probably sell for at least spot value if the right people see it. Decisions, decisions! Thanks all!

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on how fast you need or want to sell it. There are Gorham collectors who will pay over spot and if they can get it at spot they feel they scored. Others like me try and get silver way under spot.

My last Gorham find from a couple months ago that I paid under $5 an ounce. image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It's a reticulated basket made in 1915. Scrap value $220- antique value $300-500 estimate.

I didn't see a date mark on yours this might help you date your piece.

Gorham Silver Marks & Dates - Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been my observation that people tend to pass on reserve auctions. I'm not sure when that started, years ago a reserve didn't seem to hinder bidding.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'd be surprised if it went for more than spot in an eBay auction. Great score but it's monogrammed & IMO pretty plain.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the opinions all. I agree with you Gib, I know some people use reserve auctions to protect their investment, but I tend to pass on them as well. Based on your input and trdhrdr's, I'm leaning towards a buy-it-now listing. Lost&Found - thanks for the great resource link. I'm going to look for a date mark. Any little bit of information I can put in my listing that may add to the desirability is well worth it. Much appreciated.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an update. I put the tray on eBay for about a week at a rather high buy-it-now of $1595. I had an offer of $1000, but when you factor in the eBay and PayPal fees of approximately 13%, I would have wound up with significantly less than melt. As much as I hated to do it, some unexpected auto repairs forced my hand, and I ended up sending the tray to the refiner. It really did break my heart to have it refined, because thanks to lost & found's post, I was able to determine the tray was made in 1945. The tray has been on this earth a lot longer than I have. At any rate, I was able to pay off the auto repairs I put on my credit card, and I guess when it's all said and done, getting ahead financially is sort of the name of this game.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there, done that!! I've sold several pieces that I thought were going to be "keepers" but damned if life doesn't get in the way sometimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread