Thoughts on digging tool

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
I've been thinking about a digging tool that can be used without having to drop to my knees, & bend over to dig. Having both back & knee problems I thought it might make things alitle easier, and therefor TH'ing alittle more enjoyable.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this, or is there already something similar (not talking a spade)? If not, does anyone with similar problems have any thoughts? Think it'd be helpful? It wouldn't cut-out 100% of "stooping", but should eliminate a fair percentage of it I'm hoping.

I have a general idea of it, but still in the early-stage. lol, wouldn't be the first "project" that I've scrapped, or someone pointed out an obvious reason why it wouldn't be feesible.

Thanks
Smitty

PS-Good idea on the new board!

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
I've had an idea for a standing digger for a long time now. If only I had the tools and time to make it. It sure would speed things up for me if I had a mig welder though. I'm all out of red paper clip's too, but I've got a black paper clip if anyone in western Canada has a mig welder they want to trade? ;)

F.

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
I was recently looking into finding a reasonable priced hole cutter for cutting holes into golf course greens,and I believe this tool can serve MD'rs a few purposes.

most of them are waist to belly high depending on your height,with serrated teeth that cut efficiently,and super clean with little effort which limits the damage to a lawn.

The plug comes out compact and finds can possibly come out within the plug itself or easily searched for in the hole,then the plug can be easily put back into the hole when done with virtually no signs of distruction.

The downfalls are....they are pretty expensive mainly $110-$200+.....they are only good for small finds(coins,rings,etc.)....and lastly it's rather cumbersome and just something else to have to lug around with you.

I recently got a trowel on a telescopic handle and it works pretty well.It opens to about waist high and has enough room on either side of the trowel that lets me push it into the ground with my foot.As for the bending down part....shoot that's part of the game and I cant seem to find a way around that yet.

Attachments

• hole cutter.jpg
    hole cutter.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 869
  • hc2.jpg
    hc2.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 879

garyf

Jul 10, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70
I use an "extendable" trowel I picked up at Kmart for about $7. It extends from 26.2 in. to 38.6 in. It's just long enough to be able to dig while standing and is tough enough to use your foot to help with the digging.

Kmart item# 9990000021451011 Mfr. model# CGHT-155A

Attachments

• 9990000021451011.jpg
    9990000021451011.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 888

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an advertisement video but the digging tool looked pretty good. Had a place to push with you foot to dig..If only I was good at welding..lol

S

stefen

Why screw around?

Attachments

• backhoe.gif
    backhoe.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 854
  • backhoe.gif
    backhoe.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 853

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
garyf said:
I use an "extendable" trowel I picked up at Kmart for about $7. It extends from 26.2 in. to 38.6 in. It's just long enough to be able to dig while standing and is tough enough to use your foot to help with the digging.

Kmart item# 9990000021451011 Mfr. model# CGHT-155A

thats the exact digging tool i bought but got it at a local farm supply store

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
UnEarthed72 said:
I was recently looking into finding a reasonable priced hole cutter for cutting holes into golf course greens,and I believe this tool can serve MD'rs a few purposes.

most of them are waist to belly high depending on your height,with serrated teeth that cut efficiently,and super clean with little effort which limits the damage to a lawn.

The plug comes out compact and finds can possibly come out within the plug itself or easily searched for in the hole,then the plug can be easily put back into the hole when done with virtually no signs of distruction.

The downfalls are....they are pretty expensive mainly $110-$200+.....they are only good for small finds(coins,rings,etc.)....and lastly it's rather cumbersome and just something else to have to lug around with you.

I recently got a trowel on a telescopic handle and it works pretty well.It opens to about waist high and has enough room on either side of the trowel that lets me push it into the ground with my foot.As for the bending down part....shoot that's part of the game and I cant seem to find a way around that yet.

That's somewhat what i had in mind, but would "split" the round cutting section & "hinge" (or pin) it so once the tool was raised from the ground, it could open (similar to posthole diggers) and the plug is released, unless it has some way to release the plug I can't see.

Could always add a sling to it & carry it like a rifle, or telescopic handle & carry it in a pouch on your belt.

Smitty

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
This is a link that has two different styles,a lever action type and one similar to the ones i posted before. its about half way down the page.

http://www.reliablegolf.com/greens.cfm

I often wonder if one can be made in a price range that is easily affordable,as did i look for patents to see if i could see the inner workings of this type tool but came up empty.Maybe if you can find a someone that is local and works with metal can build prototype closely resembling said tool with some of your ideas incorporated.You just may have an invention ;)

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In yards i use a knife to cut plugs as i dont want to dig large holes .Also what i dig with in city parks ar curb areas.
I have a lesche shovel for fields or woods.
I tried a greens plugger when i first started but got tired of having another tool that size to carry.
The bigger the hole the harder it is to fill properly and leave an area looking the same as before you went.And you have to bend down to retrieve the target after you dig anyway.
Besides its the only excersize i get anymore!!!!
HH

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
I thought about this after my last post. What could be done is instead of having the handle welded to the footrest, it could pass thru a hole in the footrest, then have a large washer (slightly smaller than the ID of the pipe) welded onto the handle. Then the handle could be used to push the plug out of the pipe.

This would require using the footrest to sink the cutter, as the handle would slip-thru, but would be used to pull the tool out of the ground, then "ramrod" the plug out of the tool.

This could be made basically any diameter, so hole size wouldn't be a problem. I'm sure it wouldn't work 100% of the time without having to stoop, but might be handy in certain areas.

I might see what I can whip-up here in the near future.....

Smitty

Smitty

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just use a camping shovel

HH