This Guy Is Taking Dredging To A New Level With His Designs

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
A well know prospector from home is doing a lot of research and design with bilge pumps and dredging. He has already designed impellers with a remarkable increase of 39.8% efficiency from 12 volt electric bilge pumps. He is now designing a dredge which can be operated by using a bilge pump with a dredging system, on a more portable basis for rivers and beach sands. I thought I would show you his work so far and the direction he is headed.
Dredge designs below:

Increased efficiency with bilge pump impellers.

Vagadero

Dec 3, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He misuses some definitions.

Flow rate refers to the volume or mass of fluid passing through a system per unit time.

Output, on the other hand, is the total amount of energy or work done by a jet pump. It is determined by both the flow rate and pressure increase achieved by the pump.

Efficiency is a measure of how effectively a jet pump converts input energy into output energy.

Regardless, his achievements are impressive, both in terms of learning and the outcome.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
BUT he does do some interesting research ! To me , I think his BELL device has merit ! looking at a INFINITY JET may inspire him to continue his research into small Jet Log's like he has done and then being able to apply his research to bigger Jet Log's . Single inductor Jet Log's have a propensity to eventually blow out the side of the log that has water /material being blown against it ! I've repaired many of these ! Multiple inductor's have a better ability to center the flow of material /water to prevent this ! I'm sure he is using plastic in his research because the device he is using to build these different Jet log's .The Infinity Jet Log needs to be made of metal because the Venturi is adjustable to be able to vary the device's water pressure at the "sweet spot " where you would have the best suction for your device on your dredge. While metal is my best choice in material , I had a PVC Jet Log "Vortexrx "and it served me very well for many years.. Dave sells plans for his Jet on-line or he used to any way! Just keep that foot valve out of the gravels ! :coffee2: :coffee2: This research he is doing has many minds thinking about stuff ! and that's a good thing !

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Hes always been one of my favorites. Hated to see him move to england or wherever it is. Enjoyed his adventures & his builds.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
AGREED ! Viewing someone's research has a compelling drive to add your additional thoughts / experience's /skill's to further these idea's along ! :coffee2:

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s really pretty amazing how much faster people are able to build prototypes with 3D printers. It’s really causing a serious push forward in independent research. Pretty awesome stuff.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
That's how things get done........ by someone looking into the possibility's of improvement OR Appling someone's thought's to "their " situation to make it work for them !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread