Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
NOTE: This post is about Tesoro Brand detectors.

I know almost nothing about electronics so when I want answers I start asking questions. They say there are no dumb questions but I'll bet I've come pretty close.

Anyway, here's the lowdown on the Tesoros as I have perceived it from trying to understand the knowledgeable people. Now, if I screw this up, Willy and others will do the correcting.

Firstly, all models made by Tesoro are good. Some are just gooder ;D than others.

Secondly, of all the models made by Tesoro, probably the two most talked about are the Vaquero and Cibola.

Between these two, the Vaquero is by far the favorite.

Here are the main reasons why the Vaquero's popularity is skyrocketing:
1. Low cost
2. Manual ground balance (The Cibola doesn't have this)
3. Very stable - it stays tuned
4. Excellent depth (best at this price)
5. Very light and easy on the arm
6. Decent coil choices
7. Is a recognized gold nugget hunter
8. Is growing in popularity in the U.K.
9. Nice medium sweep speed*

* There's disagreement over this issue. Some say the Vaquero requires a much slower sweep speed than the Cibola.

Basically, the Cibola is all these things except for the limitation of a set ground balance. However, some Cibola owners insist that the Cibola is faster and smoother than the Vaquero. So there's sort of this little friendly war going on between the Vaquero and Cibola owners.

After considering all the messages on this and another Forum, I decided on the Vaquero.

The Vaquero uses the same circuitry as the Tejon (I was told this) but it's less expensive and a bit easier to use than the Tejon.

Hope this helps. I spent a lot of time gathering this info.

You're welcome 8)

UpDate 6-04-06 NOTE:
It's been a long time since I posted to this thread and I'm rather surprised to see it has received a good number of hits.

However, contrary to what I stated above, I actually ended up buying the DeLeon instead of the Vaquero mainly for the TID.

I've found this to be a great machine and I'm well pleased with it. However, for some the Vaquero would probably be the better choice due to the adjustable ground balance and MAYBE greater depth.

UpDate 10-20-06 Note:

It's now the end of our hunting season :'( so it's time to clean my iron relics! The Tesoro DeLeon proved to be a very wise investment and I really liked it. Tesoro makes awesome detectors!

However, I sold my DeLeon and now use a Nautilus IIB. I didn't get a lot of time to use the IIB when I suddenly developed a bad knee. However I did use it some and I believe Nautilus is my detector from now on. It's even smoother than the DeLeon and about 2 1/2 to 3 times deeper on coins. In fact, probably the only VLF detector made today that's deeper is the Nexus. The Nautilus IIB has no TID meter and it doesn't need one. It uses a vastly superior DMC system that one has to use to appreciate.

Again, the Tesoro DeLeon is a wonderful machine but for only about $130 more you can buy the IIB and that's an infinitely superior buy. I think there are many great machines made today but I'll say from my experience the Nautilus IIB is the best VLF buy on the market today. It's one of the few detectors made today that's not overpriced.

UpDate 5-1-07 I'm back with Tesoro (Tejon) because after using the Nautilus IIB (I owned 2) for 100 hours or so I realized that it is as they say "a relic machine."

I found that using the Nautilus in trashy areas and during rainy weather is not good. I had lots of trouble balancing the machine's coil and ground balancing it as well. In short, I just wasn't having fun and to me that's what detecting is all about.

So, I sold the Nautilus detectors and now I'm back with Tesoro.

I will do a Review of the Tejon later.

R

rvbvetter

You've got it all backwards. ;D Teasin.

While you've been looking a the Vaquero and Cibola.
I've been looking at the Tejon and Vaquero and have noticed that much of the same argument is being used between Tejon and Vaquero owners.
But which ever model they have, they all seem to be happy with it and loyal. Which I take to be a good sign.
At the moment I'm leaning towards the Tejon because of it's 2 stage discrimination.
But we'll see.
Oh! One more note. From what I'm hearing, people are prefering the Cibola with the high tone added, over the original Cibola.
Good luck with yours and let us see what you find with it. HH

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
I've been lookin' to Zeb!!!! It appears most people do say the Cibola is a liitle faster swinger. I have been looking at it the most mainly for this reason. Thanks for the info sharing!!!!
HH
Greg

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
What about the Cortez?! LOL. The Cibola is a good machine. Borrow or buy a gold coin from someone and air test it with any Tesoro......slow swinging is the way to go......

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
1320 said:
What about the Cortez?!? LOL.? The Cibola is a good machine.? Borrow or buy a gold coin from someone and air test it with any Tesoro......slow swinging is the way to go......

I took your word and just purchased a $5 gold piece off ebay. I plan to bury it in my test garden flat, on edge, you name it. I'm going to work that coin until I know that sound and meter reading in my sleep. I'll also plant different gold rings, etc.

I'm serious about gold.

So, you really like Tesoros?

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
I have owned 2 Tesoros, the Diablo 2 gold demon and the Golden Micro Max. I have used the gold demon for years and I love it, a very sensitive vlf machine. I only kept the Golden Micro Max one year as it did not work very well in the highly mineralized soil where I live in south central Oregon. It had a factory preset ground balance which did not cut it out here in the desert. It would not go very deep because of the mineralization and the discriminate would not I.D. correctly because of this. Also if you are going to buy a detector to work in minerakized ground get one that has a manual ground balance in not only all metal mode but make sure the ground balance works in the discrimination mode also. The only detector that Tesoro makes that I am aware of that has ground balance in both all metal and discriminate mode is the Tejon and if you are looking for a good Tesoro the Tejon is the one to buy. Raw detection power from what I have read. If you are working in non mineralized ground then most any Tesoro will work very well for you. Just my 2 cents

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Cortes, but have owned the Silver uMax and the DeLeon. I like the efficiency and features of the Cortes, it seems that Tesoro took all the qualities of each detector they make and rolled them all up into the Cortes. Manual ground balance, sum mode, backlight, notch....it's all their. The only thing I really don't care for with the Cortes is the small readout...at times I have to really focus my eyes on the screen, it's pretty small. NS

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been away from this post for some time and nearly forgot about it.

As some of you know, I ended up buying the Tesoro DeLeon. It would take me too long to explain all the reasons why I picked this model over the others.

As some of you may have noticed, at first I was set to buy only a Tesoro with manual ground balance. I started there because of the many comments I read to that end both here and on other forums.

So why did I end up getting a non-manual balance machine? Simply put--this model was the only one that MORE CLOSELY matched my needs. Again, it's a long story.

It's winter here now so I can't do much outdoor testing. In air tests I'm very impressed.

starprince

Greenie
Aug 30, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites 6000DI Series 3, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro, Fisher 1212X, Garrett American AM-2, Garrett Beach Hunter AT3, and Garrett Hunter BFO (Retired but still works)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi to all and very nice post by Zeb and the low down with the Vaquero and Cibola. For some reason the vaq does seem to require a slowersweep speed and maybe that is due to the variable ground balance. I find myself needing both the fast sweep and the slow sweep speed depending on the type of detecting I am doing. I do think both are great instruments and my hat is off to
Tesoro for having the insight of the Umax machines. They have the other manufacturers running back to the drawing boards.
What a time to have one of these great metal detectors out there! Can you guess which one I have? You guessed it, Both!

T

tallpaul

mmmmmmmmm, ok heres my pennies worth, if you have a decent detector, and is working as should, then its the way you use it and getting to know what it is telling you, and how you do your homework as to where to find stuff, the detector dosent just shout "hey guy come on its over there" you gotta know to a certain degree what ya doing where ya going and listen to the detector they all tell you something in there own way, its not hey tesoro are better or laser are or the tesoro cibloa or vaquero, which are now the trident 1 and 2, its not the guy who has the explorer or with the ?3000.00 machine its the guy who uses it, wether it be a ?300 or a ?3000.00 machine it dont matter, and those who are buying a new machine every year or less, that dont work, you gotta stay with a machine for some time to get to know it properly, i used a whites classic right up till i bought a new one i new that classic inside and out and had great finds, now the technology has improved alot to make a change then yes i bought another which is getting me the results because i do all i can to learn and understand what its tellin me, dont be put off which is the best and whats what just take alook around read the mags check out other detectorists what are they useing and why, the biggest question should be what are you hunting for, then go for that machine that fits that catagory, ive seen guys with lower end garretts and vikings and whites and c-scopes knock the crap on finding against guys with explorers and so called top range, lol, cos the user couldent use it, simple,,, yet true, ?i myself have had some laughable times when younger useing a lower end whites against the minelabs, because i knew what i was doing, and i aint blowing my own trumpet, ive been detecting for a long time now, and theres no disrespect too any body in what i say here, i am far from being an electronic genius, but i know how to detect, and treasure hunt, so too any guys wondering which detector to get then decide what it is you want to find the most, this limits your search, then a price range, whilst also decideing on the operation panel that suits, also how often will you be going out searchin, ok guys its 01.36 here now and ive got some gold to melt in the morning so iam off for some sleep now, hope you all get great finds, keep reportin HH Paul.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
dano91 Yes, you're right, a nickel is close to a gold coin. But I noticed there is a difference howbeit rather small.

tallpaul You're right, most any decent VLF will do the job if one really learns it.

Like I've written before, today a machine's ability to discern targets is more important than greater depth. This is assuming we're talking about the better brands and models that get like 10 inches or more on a quarter sized item.

In most areas most of the easy finds are gone now. Today the more challenging potential finds are there but require greater technology to locate. The reason being the fact that they are often hidden under and/or between trash. Many super coins are on edge or at extreme depths.

I'm a strong believer in technology and knowledge. Today the technology is out there. However, technology means nothing if it isn't understood or practiced.

Maka

Greenie
Nov 17, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a Mantaray. Works well for me on the beach as well as "inland". The key, to me, is to "calibrate" it every time I switch locations. It has been a lot of fun and so far I havnt run into but 1 machine that can out perform it. Id like to try it along side the new "pulse" Sand Shark someday.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got my tesoro catalog in the mail the other day told the GF look what i sent away for you..ehhehehe

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
dekalb33 said:
got my tesoro catalog in the mail the other day told the GF look what i sent away for you..ehhehehe

Good man! Now all you need to do is order a Tesoro ;D

I recommend the DeLeon but the Cortes is also an excellent choice.

Really, all the models are great.

No detector brand is perfect for everything. But I believe for general coin and relic hunting, Tesoro brand detectors are as good (or better) as the others no matter what the price.

Badger

R

rvbvetter

I don't mean to hijack the thread here. If I did I would ask for ransom to be paid in the form of 5 unmarked one dollar bills. No euro dollars accepted. Sorry, too hard to exchange.
But in the 2 months or so that I've had my Tesoro Tejon, I think I'm beginning to notice something about the way it works. Now before you start laughing too hard. What I'm talking about is the way it detects or was designed to detect.
On the Tejon the signal is amped. Just like many other brands and models of detectors.
But other ones I've had that were amped, you could still tell if it was a deep target, nearing the machines depth limit in disc. Either by a noticible lag in the signal , or even though amped, a little softer signal. And if you payed close attention you could even eek a little more depth out of them.
But It's beginning to seem like the Tejon has a cut off point.
What I mean is, as an example, that if it can detect a coin at 8 inches loud and clear (amped)
With the same coin at the same spot buried 8 1/4 inches the Tejon can pass over it without a whisper or any hint of a signal. As though the transmitt signal hits a wall or like a table top and won't go one hair farther. Or either the receiver won't pick it up beyond that depth. It abruptly cuts off at, lets say 8
1/8 inches, in this example.

I hope some long time Tesoro operators will respond to this and let me know if I've just got my head phones on front.to back again. Or if this might be the case. HH

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rvbvetter no prob...well call you a hitch hiker thanks for the interjection...this is a machine with manual ground blalance ,correct...ill say yes all detectors have limits is it like this all metal...what other things have you noticed illl talk about my troy i notice a diffrence when i MGB it correct as apposed to the fixed GB it has there is a depth difference of 2 inchs some time depending on the loomie soul i dig...some places around here are clay at 6 or so inchs then depth will be an issue..i just try to read my digging then ajust..

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
rvbvetter said:
I don't mean to hijack the thread here. If I did I would ask for ransom to be paid in the form of 5 unmarked one dollar bills. No euro dollars accepted. Sorry, too hard to exchange.
But in the 2 months or so that I've had my Tesoro Tejon, I think I'm beginning to notice something about the way it works. Now before you start laughing too hard. What I'm talking about is the way it detects or was designed to detect.
On the Tejon the signal is amped. Just like many other brands and models of detectors.
But other ones I've had that were amped, you could still tell if it was a deep target, nearing the machines depth limit in disc. Either by a noticible lag in the signal , or even though amped, a little softer signal. And if you payed close attention you could even eek a little more depth out of them.
But It's beginning to seem like the Tejon has a cut off point.
What I mean is, as an example, that if it can detect a coin at 8 inches loud and clear (amped)
With the same coin at the same spot buried 8 1/4 inches the Tejon can pass over it without a whisper or any hint of a signal. As though the transmitt signal hits a wall or like a table top and won't go one hair farther. Or either the receiver won't pick it up beyond that depth. It abruptly cuts off at, lets say 8
1/8 inches, in this example.

I hope some long time Tesoro operators will respond to this and let me know if I've just got my head phones on front.to back again. Or if this might be the case. HH

i have noticed this with my garrett machines as well.it seems like really deep targets are not strong enough to trigger the tone id. the only way around it i have found (at least on the gti 2500) is to hunt in true all metal mode,which isnt always practical.i wonder if most tone id models have this problem?

Z

ZumbroKid

Some machines will emit a tone but not an icon due to the depth of the target. I've posted how to over come this short coming in the past.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread