OP
Hbot37

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is a sheppards knife, the spike is actualy used to puncture the belly of a bloated animal, to save its life.
View attachment 2141617
It’s cool how similar knives can be for different things. Reminds me of this mariners knife. The spike on this one is for untying knots.
IMG_6767.jpeg

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Old Handmade approx. 6-inch knife, wood handle 2 7/8 inches in length, blade 3 1/8 inches in length. Sturdy, with copper rivets holding the handle to the blade. Possibly made from an old file.
This is an old and used handmade knife in highly collectible condition. From the Nickolas Starr collection.

nicholas_star_knife_a.jpg

nicholas_star_knife_b.jpg
nicholas_star_knife_c.jpg

nicholas_star_knife_d.jpg

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Old late1800's approximately 9-inch knife with sheath, 4.5-inch wood handle with what appears to be copper rivets, blade 4.5 inches in length, leather sheath. Blade appears to be made from an old file, is thick and extends to the butt of the handle. This is a handmade knife. The knife handle is tight.

old_knive_b.jpg

old_knive_a.jpg
old_knive_e.jpg

OP
OP
Hbot37

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Handmade approx. 6-inch knife, wood handle 2 7/8 inches in length, blade 3 1/8 inches in length. Sturdy, with copper rivets holding the handle to the blade. Possibly made from an old file.
This is an old and used handmade knife in highly collectible condition. From the Nickolas Starr collection.

View attachment 2141683

View attachment 2141684 View attachment 2141685

View attachment 2141687

Old late1800's approximately 9-inch knife with sheath, 4.5-inch wood handle with what appears to be copper rivets, blade 4.5 inches in length, leather sheath. Blade appears to be made from an old file, is thick and extends to the butt of the handle. This is a handmade knife. The knife handle is tight.

View attachment 2141688

View attachment 2141689 View attachment 2141690
Now those are some beautiful pieces, thanks for sharing! My only handmade knife was made by me when I was twelve with a lawnmower blade lol.

Attachments

• IMG_6770.jpeg
    IMG_6770.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6769.jpeg
    IMG_6769.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look similar but actually is designed for a very different purpose. I think it was called a trucar spike. My knife posted is apparently a very old laguiole type knife.
Black foot this one you just posted is most similar. Got any more photos of the spine and the other side?

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
It does look similar but actually is designed for a very different purpose. I think it was called a trucar spike. My knife posted is apparently a very old laguiole type knife.
Black foot this one you just posted is most similar. Got any more photos of the spine and the other side?
No, sorry. I found that photo on-line and used it as an example

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To understand the true purpose of this tool you first need to know that the Laguiole knife was a Cattlemen's tool. As most retailers will make you believe by ignorance or for marketing purpose, the Awl sole purpose is not to punch holes or to take knots out; it is a rudimentary "Trocar".

Most of us who did not spend years in medical school do not know what a Trocar is; it is a surgical instrument that is used to puncture body cavities. Now, you may ask your self why a cattlemen would need such an instrument, here is why: Herds of cattle do not always stay in their assigned fields, although the dogs usually keep them put, they do escape from time to time. The worse fields a cow can escape too are the ones that contain "Luzerne" AKA "Alfalfa"

Luzerne is a legume or a plant that produces nitrogen by means of its root system. This is what contributes to an animal's suffering from "bloat" if they eat too much of it, or eat it at a particular time, i.e., when the grass is damp and young (young grass contains proportionately more of the toxin).

"Bloat" is the technical name for what happens, i.e., the animal "blows up" or "bloats" from the gas produced in its rumen (which is one of the four compartments of its digestive system). If the bloat is not relieved on time the cattlemen will loose his herd as most animals will succumb to internal stomach pressure.

The only way to save the animal was to puncture the stomach to relieve the pressure, so the French shepherds used whatever was at hand, including pieces of barbed wire, nails, or sharp sticks until the Awl was integrated to their knives.

The Awl's shape and size was designed to assure that the cattlemen would not injure the animal by inserting the awl too deep, the tapered triangular angles of the awl are made to create a "clean" whole, not a slash. The notches often found on various models are purely decorative.

Source: https://www.laguiole-imports.com/en-ca/pages/what-is-a-laguiole-3-piece-knife

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well in looking at the many attached pictures the knife collecting illness must be very contagious And I would add that in most cases it has had a positive affect on many people's judgement on the knives that are favorites among their collections(additions)This appears to be a popular thread

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here’s a pair of buck knives you don’t see too often. These were my grandfather’s. View attachment 2141922
Yes very nice I have quite a few buck knives in my collection as they where the first knives I started to collect Do you happen to know the Model # on that set T he top one looks somewhat like a Buck 107 but I don't think that is what it is ? Very nice set !!

OP
OP
Hbot37

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well in looking at the many attached pictures the knife collecting illness must be very contagious And I would add that in most cases it has had a positive affect on many people's judgement on the knives that are favorites among their collections(additions)This appears to be a popular thread
Yeah its great, Im loving all of the pics getting posted

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
1712585138640.png

You haven't held a knife until you get a hold of a GiantMouse.
My favorite is the ACE Jagt a Black canvas Micarta grips

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two knives I made. The one on the left was ground from a file, with a buffalo horn, deer antler, and sunken river wood handle. The one on the right I forged from a bearing race, it has a micarta handle.
16CC1567-164E-41F0-9EC3-B9F8AFF4F9E8.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread