✅ SOLVED Test your skills on this one! Spent years trying to ID this.

musclecar

Oct 15, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I found this in Alaska about 10 years ago, and have never been able to ID it. It is an aluminum piece, about 3 inches square. It has 15 teeth and is numbered 1-15. There is a stop preventing it from spinning freely. The back has two tabs that may have been used to mount it. ANY GUESSES?

Thanks,

MC

PS The quarter used for size was found yesterday! 1935S Yeah!

Attachments

• dial1.jpg
    dial1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 40,798
  • dial2.jpg
    dial2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 38,903
  • dial3.jpg
    dial3.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 38,914

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps this is the way to look at it? Not any closer to an anwser but any way something to think about.

Attachments

• object front.jpg
    object front.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 36,540
  • object back.jpg
    object back.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 36,327
Upvote 0
OP
OP
musclecar

musclecar

Oct 15, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Thanks all for your input, but I am still not quite convinced. If I dig way back into my hard drive, I kinda remember somebody saying something about an airplane part. Maybe something to do with altitude. I forgot, cause I couldn't perceive what he was talking about. Maybe that will help.

MC

Upvote 0

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden
I have seen something similiar mounted on either a fence ,or a rabbit cage I don,t exactly Remember,but could it be used to keep track of some interval like vaccinations or innoculation?

Upvote 0

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
montepollock said:
I have seen something similiar mounted on either a fence ,or a rabbit cage I don,t exactly Remember,but could it be used to keep track of some interval like vaccinations or innoculation?

Haven;t got a clue as to what it was used for, but the the theory of being mounted on a fence sounds good..the bottom tabs would slip in behind the wire and then the tabs on the back would slip over the wire and then be bent closed ..both holding whatever it is in place. Maybe DNS uses it to count the illegals coming over or under the fence...:)

Upvote 0

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
musclecar said:
Thanks all for your input, but I am still not quite convinced. If I dig way back into my hard drive, I kinda remember somebody saying something about an airplane part. Maybe something to do with altitude. I forgot, cause I couldn't perceive what he was talking about. Maybe that will help.

MC

Where are all the aeronautical engineers and pilots? They certainly would know if it were an airplane part. If they don't know what it is I would bet it's NOT an airplane part.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I dunno... seems kinda light-weight to be a reliable aircraft part with no real connections, and a dial for what? I'm no expert (nor a pilot) but have several hundred hours in N-Model hueys... and even those late 60's bare-bones choppers didn't have dials that were static or light-weight like that.

Upvote 0

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Montana Jim said:
I dunno... seems kinda light-weight to be a reliable aircraft part with no real connections, and a dial for what? I'm no expert (nor a pilot) but have several hundred hours in N-Model hueys... and even those late 60's bare-bones choppers didn't have dials that were static or light-weight like that.

Now my guess is that unless one of the boys that builds them comes in here with a different story Montana Jim can be relied on that this is not an airplane part. He seems to know a little bit about aircraft, and when you've had flight time (although not a pilot), you can't just "know a little" about what your talking about.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I hope I learned something after 23 years in the Air Force! I'd sure like to know what this thing is though, and that damned acorn with spikes!

Upvote 0

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Montana Jim said:
I hope I learned something after 23 years in the Air Force! I'd sure like to know what this thing is though, and that damned acorn with spikes!

Isn't the spiked acorn thing settled? I thought it turned out to be an anti-theft device for a watch.

Upvote 0

98 gt

Oct 5, 2006
perhaps, now this sounds a bit odd, a fish counter clipped to the side of a boat or fish basket, every fish one click until you have reached a limit of 15?

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dg39 said:
Perhaps this is the way to look at it? Not any closer to an anwser but any way something to think about.
Hi dgjr.....Welcome back.......good job on iding this thing peebles!

Upvote 0

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cog or sprocket from a 15-speed bicycle? I'm trying to find a close pic...
Lara

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread