Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
"" Teknetics has a new detector "" It IS the >>> Teknetics G2

I see that First Texas has put out a Teknetics g2. ...It seems to be the same as the New Gold Bug 3 but at a higher price . From what i understand it comes with the 11 inch coil. The flyer price is $699.00 what it will sell for i don't know. To be at dealers in April , 2010 .

Attachments

• teknetics_g2.png
    teknetics_g2.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 3,199

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "" Teknetics has a new detector "" It IS the >>> Teknetics G2

Good, we always need more detectors to learn. I don't know why I don't like the looks of the fish bone coil. The only thing worse I can think of is to change the color to Pink. :laughing7: I have yet to play with one.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

That is some real good 3 reasons. I liked that # 3 best. But the first 2 reasons i never knew that ...............Good to know and other coil makers should do that makes the coil lighter and less likely to get messed up.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like a new goldbug with different decals to me..

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

That what i thought get a New Gold Bug 3 for $499.00 and the G2 is $699.00 they are both the same detector.from what i see.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sandman, love the hot pink idea!!!!!
everyone else........as far as both detectors being the same, compare the prices again, look at the brochures! check the rod styles, arm cups, coil sizes, coil packages etc:
they are not the same physically but i do believe they have the same internal components.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer

I like my F75 with the same coil, but the coil design leaves something to be desired, it catches on weeds and and is hard to swing in shallow water, not mention it does look Bounty Hunterish.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

LuckyLarry said:
Hey SandMan, isn't that a lot like cave men going from using slabs off a log and then going to spoked wheels?

Seriously though, it was done for three reasons;

#1 To stop coil windings from being knocked loose after being banged around on the rocks, etc.

#2 To reduce weight.

#3 To give old phartz like you and I something to complain about.

I would like to see some new stuff for a change, especially if they stop making them top heavy. How about the new invisible technology being worked on now? That would be funny to see someone waving just their arm back and forth, or how about not being seen at all?

LL

:laughing9:

I don't care for the looks of the 'ol "Dead Halibut" myself, but it doesn't seem to be a problem in service. I do like a see-through open coil as it makes it easier to pinpoint as you can see ground features (leaves, blade of grass, etc.) to identify where the strongest signal occurs.

The G2 looks like a winner from the ad. Hopefully it will turn out to be so.

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LuckyLarry said:
Erick Foster and George Payne must be involved with First Texas more than I thought they were.

LL

Larry,

The Gold Bug and Tek G2 were done "in house" by FT's engineering team.

Tom

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Dave Johnson and John Gardiner - the F75 people?

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlie P. (NY) said:
Dave Johnson and John Gardiner - the F75 people?

D.J. and Jorge Saad mostly.

Tom

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feel better Larry?

I read no implication in what you posted since the only context to place your statement in is this thread, which is about the Teknetics G2.

My post was to give credit where credit is due.

And Dave Johnson is no newbie my friend.

Tom

LuckyLarry said:
I think my implications were misunderstood.

These three Pilgrims share the credits for us having the metal detector technology we now enjoy:

#1 George Payne: The Father of ALL current ground-cancelling technology used in metal detectors today, + DD searchcoils.

#2 Erik Foster: The Father of ALL PI technology now being employed in metal detectors. He designed White's TDI.

#3 Keith Wills: THE Compass Electronics metal detector engineer who designed automatic ground balance, automatic tuning, automatic return to threshold, plus increaded depth on post 1980 detectors. + DD searchcoils.

Dave Johnson, John Gardiner, Jack Gifford, etc, are but tiny flakes in a panful of gold nuggets when compared to the Masters above. Yes, just like ALL OTHER newbies, they (improved) on some things but only slightly.

Some people invent many things ; while others improve them, while the same few invent even more new things, etc, etc. It's a never ending circle.

Without the Masters Foster, Payne, and Wills and their inventions above - none of us would ever have any metal detectors like we have today.

And no, Minelab didn't invent jack s---t, they borrowed multi-freq square-wave harmonics technology from technology 100+ years old. Multi-feq technology was being used in the old telegraph days, then later used on telephones, then AM radio, and later in computers. It's called multi-plexing, and was used 100+ years ago durning the Old West days. We used to get several people at once back in the 50's on a telephone line, and that is the technology that Minelab claims to have invented.

But here is the real shocker; One hand washes the other. Yep, that's right, the newbies work right with the Masters when designing improvements, they don't do it by themselves.

LL

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I agree. He's been designing detectors and circuits for 25 years or better.

DS: Would you mind giving us a list of detectors you’ve had a hand in developing?

Dave [Gardiner]: "Old Fisher: 1260, 1220, 1210, 1225, 1235, 1265, 1266, 1280, Impulse, CZ6, CZ5, CZ20, Gold Bug, Gold Bug II, TW6/Gemini, FX-3, and several industrial products.

Tesoro: Diablo MicroMax, Lobo Supertraq.

White’s: DFX, Beachhunter ID, GMT, MXT

Troy: Shadow X5

Bounty Hunter & related products: nearly everything we manufacture. Many of these products are adapted from the original Teknetics which was designed by George Payne. The Teknetics T2 however was an entirely new design.

New Fisher: F75, F4, and everything else since then.

On most of the above I was the lead engineer. On the White’s DFX and Beachhunter ID I developed the multiple frequency circuitry, and other engineers designed products around that circuitry. In addition to the above there are many products on the market which are adaptations by other engineers of products I designed."

But then, if you read some of Charlie Garrett's books you'd be lead to believe he singlehandledly designed all commercial and hobby detectors, every one of which has always been manufactured at the Garrett factory, and conceived all concepts related to detecting once Alexander G. Bell gave up on them. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's a shame that the same few people jump in on threads related to certain brands to add nothing but negativity. I truly don't know or understand the reasoning behind your posts.

The 'New' Fisher and Teknetics lines of detectors are advancing the state of the art of VLF detector technology at a rapid pace. Name one other manufacturer that has added any low to mid priced machines in the last few years that offer the performance and ease of use that their machines do.

You can say what you want about these 'Bounty Hunter" detectors. The truth is First Texas has the broad market and the sales numbers to support a top engineering crew that has been given the leeway to explore the possibilities that the advances in microproccesor technology allow. I see NO other manufactucter that is doing this Period!!

Larry you said "I too believe that the new Tek is just a Fisher with a higher pricetag." The difference between the G2 and New Gold Bug, physical contruction aside, is the intended market. The Gold Bug is an easy to use high performance VLF aimed aimed at the prospecting crowd and priced to appeal to everyone. The G2 on the other hand is being offered as an alternative to the US relic and overseas markets to compete against other high frequency machines.

Given Dave Johnson's track record in developing Gold detectors and other high performance relic machines (I could list them all but you know which ones they are) I have no doubt these new additions to the lineup will show that VLF technology is far from dead and...

they ain't done yet!

HH Tom Z

MSCOTT

Mar 28, 2010
Lucky Larry......

I am unsure where you get your information but I find your statements far from being even close to accurate…….
I have worked in the industry for many years representing virtually all manufacturers at one time or another and have a totally different perspective as do most…..

George Payne’s contributions were mainly towards VLF ground balance, and target ID and much of this is incorporated into many current detectors including when he was employed at Whites-he was very influential in these areas but was still building off of already existing technology.
Dave Johnson was designing detectors from the ground up since 1981 before George’s contributions towards target ID took place in the mid 80s with the Tek line after he left Whites.

http://www.teknetics-rus.com/interview_en.html

http://jb-ms.com/Baron/payne.htm

Erik Foster did not develop Pulse Induction he just recently created better discriminating PI units which were revolutionary but certainly not the father of ALL PI units-

The Keith Wills statement is really over the top-while Keith is a friend of mine, a great guy, a and a wonderful technician---- he is not an engineer and had little if anything to do with ANY detector design and development ever……...
Did you just make up the history you posted regarding Keith?

http://www.brokendetector.com/owner.htm

I have absolutely no idea where you came up with your information regarding Keith but like most of your statements they are totally false.
Do you have anything to back up your claims you care to share with us?

Dave Johnson has designed more of the most popular detectors in the industry over the past 30 years than anyone and if you don’t remember seeing his name back then you must not have been paying attention

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/davejohnson/davejohnsonjohngardinerinterview.htm

Dave Johnsons Designs;
Old Fisher: 1260, 1220, 1210, 1225, 1235, 1265, 1266, 1280, Impulse, CZ6, CZ5, CZ20, Gold Bug, Gold Bug II, TW6/Gemini, FX-3, and several industrial products.
Tesoro: Diablo MicroMax, Lobo Supertraq.
White’s: DFX, Beachhunter ID, GMT, MXT
Troy: Shadow X5
Bounty Hunter & related products: nearly everything now being manufactured. Many of these products are adapted from the original Teknetics which was designed by George Payne. The Teknetics T2 however was an entirely new design.
New Fisher: F75, F4, F5, F2, F70, New Gold Bug
BH Platinum, BH Gold,
Teknetics Alpha, Delta, Gamma, Omega, G2
On most of the above Dave was the lead engineer. On the White’s DFX and Beachhunter ID he developed the multiple frequency circuitry, and other engineers designed products around that circuitry. In addition to the above there are many products on the market which are adaptations by other engineers of products Dave designed.
Gerhard Fisher, Kenny White Sr. and Mr. Garrett were some of the true Pioneers
While George has developed some wonderful stuff he has mostly refined existing technology just as you claim others are doing.

Current innovators(past 3 decades) are George Payne, David Johnson and Bruce Candy-David is the most active followed by Mr. Candy.
While Georges detectors designs were influential at the time the list of detector designs you provided as his designs were good detectors but all were extremely poor selling units except the Whites and early Tek units.

Hope this clears it up for you,

Mike

PS Its never been a secret that the Gold Bug and G2 are identical electronically and this fact was sent to all dealers in the release newsletter. There is very good reasoning behind why FTP did this but I do not need to get into that here.

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mike, my interpretations of what someone has contributed to the metal detector industry was interpreted incorrectly. My inferences were to indicate that perhaps George and another man "must be involved with" the creation of the g2. And now at least indirectly by default - of two very influential Engineers - they most certainly seem to have been. I didn't and won't say that they work directly for First Texas, but anything is possible.

Huh? That is the most contradictory statement I have ever read!

You need to lay off the caffeine Larry

Erick did the best and most work in the creation of modern PI detectors and I believe he deserves credit for it too. In my eyes he is an engineer.

Yes I agree about Eric(sp) but you leave out Bruce Candy. His designs have found more gold than anyones and still continue to do so.

I'm done with this

Tom

Zendalar

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2010

To add more spice to the soup...That model has the same (almost) abilities as does the Bounty Hunter Time Ranger..except better looks, Higher frequency and bigger coils...thats about it..

No wonder they made Time Ranger EOL.

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've been out of the game for a while but it looks like a fine machine ...

First Texas has always been aces in my book ...

~ Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread