Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A photo of the bottom would be more telling. It appears to be rather small, knowing the size would also be helpful. And most importantly, is it pottery or porcelain?

To tell the difference between the two, use the flashlight on your phone and see if light comes through it. Hold the light directly to it. If there's even the slightest hint of light coming through, it's porcelain. Light will not transmit through pottery no matter how thin it is.

My initial guess would be French, if it's porcelain.

OP
OP
Shazzyshaz

Shazzyshaz

Greenie
Dec 6, 2022
Welcome to Treasurenet !!
Any marking on the bottom?
Beware of reproductions.
Don in SoCal.
no maker mark as I have read old Strattfordshire small animal figurines from 19th century weren't marked. And the item came from a older family run cash estate sale that I bought fenton glass, nice old tins, and old turn of the century tools for great prices and do not think they new about google lens and internet search skills. Also the base looks to have age along with a very small vent hole on side of green base and one on bottom of vase which I have read common to Strattfordshire. And the whimsical human-like face was part of their trademark pstyle.

OP
OP
Shazzyshaz

Shazzyshaz

Greenie
Dec 6, 2022
A photo of the bottom would be more telling. It appears to be rather small, knowing the size would also be helpful. And most importantly, is it pottery or porcelain?

To tell the difference between the two, use the flashlight on your phone and see if light comes through it. Hold the light directly to it. If there's even the slightest hint of light coming through, it's porcelain. Light will not transmit through pottery no matter how thin it is.

My initial guess would be French, if it's porcelain.

Attachments

• 40808.jpg
    40808.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 40809.jpg
    40809.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230927_111714.jpg
    20230927_111714.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
OP
OP
Shazzyshaz

Shazzyshaz

Greenie
Dec 6, 2022
20230927_111744.jpg
20230927_111734.jpg

Attachments

• 20230927_111719.jpg
    20230927_111719.jpg
    1,017.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230927_111734.jpg
    20230927_111734.jpg
    836.8 KB · Views: 6

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

You mean STAFFORDSHIRE, not STRATTFORDSHIRE and, yes it looks like it to me. Unfortunately you'll never know for sure unless you can find an exact match with a reliable attribution because, as you say, they aren't usually marked and were widely copied.

The vent-hole looks good for a late 19th Century or early 20th Century piece.

OP
OP
Shazzyshaz

Shazzyshaz

Greenie
Dec 6, 2022
Welcome to Tnet.

You mean STAFFORDSHIRE, not STRATTFORDSHIRE and, yes it looks like it to me. Unfortunately you'll never know for sure unless you can find an exact match with a reliable attribution because, as you say, they aren't usually marked and were widely copied.

Welcome to Tnet.

Thank you

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll stick with my French attribution but admit I could be incorrect. Although similar to Staffordshire, your piece appears to be porcelain, not pottery, and the style of paint decoration is more typical of French (less sophisticated) then English, although calling Staffordshire sophisticated at all is somewhat comical.

It may well be English, but generally speaking it would only be considered Staffordshire if it's pottery, not porcelain. What's traditionally considered Staffordshire is pottery and isn't necessarily produced in Staffordshire, it's a specific style and construction method for the surrounding area.

Items made in porcelain are usually attributed to other manufactories throughout England. Yours doesn't appear to be similar in style or construction to any of the larger porcelain companies so, if English, it's unlikely you'll ever determine it's manufacturer.

If French, it's consistent with the late 19th-early 20th centuries. Nice piece either way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread