Spanish gold and silver on NJ beach - from 1781 shipwreck

Don13

May 15, 2024
In the spirit of helping others make their find of a lifetime I have researched some information and confirmed a great location for finding Spanish 8 reales and Spanish gold coins from a shipwreck that went down in 1781 in southern New Jersey. All the coins that have been found to date at this location are from 1781 and earlier

My detecting buddy was on the site and was shown a number of the 8 reales and gold coins found by someone who frequently detects there himself. There are about 50 guys that detect here that keep this location close to the vest from everyone else well that is about to change right now. EVERYONE should have the opportunity to detect there and maybe make their find of a lifetime. The area is known as Strathmere Beach - Roosevelt Blvd off the Garden State Hwy then head south.

Apparently, there were HUNDREDS of these reales/doubloons found over the last few years on the shore (not in the surf) after a dredging operation dumped sand from Corson Inlet onto the beach. Once the finds were discovered by the local authorities, they now have included an archeologist on the dredging ship and now use a screen at the intake area to catch any coins that might get sucked up.

My research indicates that the ship that went down is The Fame which was an American privateer. In 1781 she was sailing off the coast of New Jersey.
According to Walter and Richard Krottee's book Shipwrecks Off the New Jersey Coast: "She had captured a number of heavily laden prizes just before she Foundered" on February 22, 1781. The Fame went down north of Peck's Beach. The location of this wreck is unknown but she is believed to be a treasure site."

However based on the dredging and dump site where the artifacts were found we can now determine that The Fame actually went down much further south than Pecks Beach (which is now known as Ocean City, NJ) at Corson Inlet at the Strathmere Bay area on the ocean.

You can be sure that I will be there next big storm - hurricane or noreaster - looking for my gold doubloon or piece of eight. See you all there if you're 6 hours away its worth the trip

Email me for more exact location on the beach in the dunes where coins were found

Good hunting,

Don

View attachment 652194 View attachment 652195 View attachment 652196
How do I get your email? I would love to head down there soon…i also would be happy to meet up if you want to give it another go round…its always worth a shot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread