airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom Line Up Front:

Possible cache of coins dumped in Cherokee Lake near Salina, OK. Has anyone heard about this? Does anyone in OK know about this story - is this 'old news,' or a "snipe hunt?"

The long of the short is, I was watching a youtubes about US v. Miller, our first NFA SCOTUS case where Miller was arrested with a short-barreled shotgun. The case went to SCOTUS in US v. Miller, and Miller died before the case was decided. For my own reasons, I was researching this case more. While watching a video, the presenter was reading through a law review from 2008, that provided some background on the life of Miller. Miller was the Wheelman for the O'Malley Gang or the Ozark Mountain Boys from 1934 - 1939, when Miller was arrested. At one point, the review mentioned the gang robbing a diner in Salinas, OK and emptying the slots and register to the tune of less than $145., which the gang later dumped in Lake Cherokee.

Tempering my excitement, I reminded myself the slots were most likely nickel slots and not quarters machines! Also, I would assume there has been a great deal of development along the lake shore since 1934, so in all likelihood, a developer found a pile of Buffalo nickels already in an apparent 'pocket dump.'

Doing a quick map recon of the area, I think the best search areas would be either the lakeshore in Langley, or the shoreline from Langley north to the Water's Edge Cabin and RV Resort - Ketchum Cove, or the bridge near Lake Shore Bliss Resort on the Neosho River.

I would love some feedback regarding this, as it's piqued my spidey senses!
Here is a screenshot of the law review paper from Youtubes:

Salina OK Lake Cherokee.jpg

Thank you for taking a look-see!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread