🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Slabbing Flint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This was my first time slabbing flint. I put in a good sized nodule of Wyandotte chert from Harrison Co IN, aka IN hornstone. I had to trim it down to fit in the vise. My new saw will cut a slab 6” X 5”.
IMG_5088.jpeg

After taking off a wide slab of cortex I was greeted by a bunch of cracks.
IMG_5091.jpeg

I cut a slab 3/8”, which is the right thickness for flintknapping.
IMG_5092.jpeg

The red lines are cracks, the green area looks solid. I put my knapping billet on it and the cracks failed of course. I managed to edge the good area and there should be a nice point in there.
IMG_5094.jpeg
IMG_5093.jpeg

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is Holland flint from Dubois Co IN. It’s Pennsylvanian in age and was in the tailings from the Energy Supply coal mine. The mine is shut down now. This piece has quite a few cracks but I kept it to use as samples. The tailings have been reclaimed now and it’s about impossible to find.

IMG_5122.jpeg
IMG_5130.jpeg

Upvote 7
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I slabbed a nodule of flint from Henry Co IA today. I got this nod from a rock quarry that closed because there was too much flint in their limestone and there were too many flat tires on county gravel roads. It has unusual bumps of flint on the top (or bottom?) of it.
IMG_5282.jpeg
IMG_5281.jpeg
IMG_5283.jpeg
IMG_5285.jpeg

It’s nice material and I’ve worked it before. When heated, the yellow areas turn pink. This frame of points is the same material.
IMG_5286.jpeg

Upvote 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread