Should I start this new hobby with a Garrett Grand Master Hunter cxII

limitedthoughts

Mar 8, 2008
vale, oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Quick Silver
Id say any detector is better then none. I started with a Quicksilver and found silver with it. Cant complain so id say just get what you think you can use and save your money you find.

LT

scrooge

May 3, 2008
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Dual Field,Whites PI Pro,Whites SurfMaster II- Tesoro Silver Saber uMAX-Garrett Infinium LS
Just remember any machine you get will require time to learn how to use it properly. My first unit was an old BFO machine I paid 20.00 for at a yard sale..... IMHO if the price is right go for it...this is a great hobby

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I think you will do just fine with MH CX II. It gives you a true all metal mode which gives great depth, and also a discriminate mode, where the user decides what he/she wants to discriminate out. You can pay a lot of money on a current machine that carries these same features for a lot of $$$. I still use my Master Hunter CX. Even used it today!

Attachments

• CAMO CX (2).jpg
    CAMO CX (2).jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 897
  • COINS (2).jpg
    COINS (2).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 632

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't like the one I had. Very heavy, mediocre depth and rough on batteries. It did work reasonably well for jewelry. I actually loaned it out and never bothered to get it back. I moved on and was glad I did!

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Just be sure to consider probably the biggest factor in getting a Grand Master Hunter...it is a bohemouth. I know my analog model takes a 6 C battery pack and the current model looks identical. It weighs a ton and starting off, that may be discouraging and back breaking, haha! If you are going to get a new one, you may want to consider a 1350 or 1500. I believe they weigh less and are more balanced. Correct me if I am wrong folks. Whatever you choose though, best of luck to you.

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
start out with what ever you can afford and then you can always up-grade and keep one for a back up.

Seajay

Jul 6, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Garrett's CX w/Bloodhound, GTA 500, Whites PI
My CXII is at least 15 years old and still works great. The all metal mode gets great depth. I located an ammo can and a dutch oven lid at about 30" using the standard 7 1/2 or 8 inch coil. It also allows me to use the depth multiplier (deep seeking two-box unit) when turning to cache hunting. I do agree with the other comments about the weight with the six C-cell batteries. Overall though, the CXII is a fine machine.

Seajay

Jerry-Wi

Mar 21, 2009
I have the Garrett Grand Master Hunter with the analog meter. It was given to me and needed much repair but I did get it working and have found it to be a very good detector. It will keep up with many of the newer models. Does not have all the fancy bells and whistles and is single tone. I have found over 1,200 coins with it so far this season if that says anything. I would call it a very good starter machine. You can also add the two coil (two box) set which you cannot do with other detectors. Not as good as some but way better than others.

Jerry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread