🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Roman?

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Normally I'd just assume something like this is somekind of post medieval equestrian mount and it would go into the miscellaneous box with all the rest. However it came up only a few yards from where I found a 1st century Fibula and Sestertius on the line of an old Roman road at a similar depth in which the soil becomes very sandy.
I know those old roads where used for centuries and all manner of stuff gets lost on them but I cant help think that this item, whatever it actually is could well be Roman too?

Attachments

• Roadfind2.jpg
    Roadfind2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Roadfind.jpg
    Roadfind.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 21

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I looked at this for a while this morning and didn't find a definitive ID. Full disclosure - I'm American, so Roman finds are not near the top of my knowledge base.

That said, I've been a contributor on this for a long time and have lots of experience with relics from many eras and places around the world. Nothing about your piece says "Roman" to me. The studs are broken off on the back and it seems a hole was drilled to remount the item. The studs are consistent with decorations mounted on leather 19th C and older. I'm thinking this is a horse decoration piece that was affixed to a saddle or maybe blinkers.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread