prospecting for gold nuggets with the f75 ??????question?????

jsmorleymxt

Mar 25, 2008
Spring Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75
I did an air test on a small gold nugget that my friend found detecting in Arizona. its about the size of you pinkie nail. Ive got an f75 and thought that it would detect it fairly deep. but after doing the air test, the deepest i could hear it go off was about 3 inches. no matter what mode I was in or however much i tweaked it that was its max depth of 3 inches. I just figured it would go much deeper than that.
So my question is. is there a certain setup to use that is recommended for nugget hunting on the fisher f75. any help would be appreciated thanks.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the problem with the picking up the nugget is the air test. Many detectors have poor air tests while in the ground it is much deeper. However the F75 doesn't have the gain needed for being a good nugget detector nor the better frequencies. This is why we need different detectors and smaller coils for max performance.

Matt (CA)

Jan 7, 2009
Depends on the shape of the nugget too. Checked a sort of flat shape gram nugget that covers roughly 80% of the ol' pinky nail. All metal motion program, threshold at +1, sensitivity at max, ground balance at 85 with stock coil gives a slight signal out at around 8" and decent signal at 7".

JE mode, zero disc, sens at max, no notch dialed in, ground balance set to 85 like my area, is around those distances, maybe a tad less.

Another nugget about that size signals about 5" in the ground. JE actually has a better signal. I like the small coil in all metal over the ground where it counts.

Heck, I can get a 3 grain nugget past 3 inches in air test. Maybe you got high EMI eh? Somethin don't sound right.

Streak!

Mar 4, 2009
Je mode, no disc, and very high gain........

I'm not suprised it didnt do all that well in an airtest. Air tests are problematical. Most are done inside close to lots of RF interference, which will severly limit depth and performance. I knew a guy once that was livid because his airtests were incredibly poor, and he blamed the machine. (It wasnt a fisher) Upon finally seeing him do his airtests, it was immediately apparent what was wrong. He had a big old honkin watch in the wrist he was holding the rod/coil with. Because the watch wasnt moving in relation to the coil, it didnt make a peep, but it affected the field strongly enough to give him very poor air test results.
If I were doing air test comparisons, I'd set the Gb manually to 90 before testing.
Testing in the air, and testing in the ground will almost always provide different results, with the nod going to the ground reults depending in soil conditions.
Take that little nugget and bury it in damp soil and pack the soil down real well. Set the F75 to Je mode, and set the disc to 0. Crank the sens to the point where its still stable, then Fast grab the machine off the target. I think you'll find your able to get that nugget deeper than you think you will. If you have one of those 5" DD coils, you may want to try that as well. Its measurably hotter on tiny conductors than the stock coil is. another trick is to bias the Gb slightly negative. (biasing the GB positive by a couple of numbers, like some do, will detune the machine a bit and make it less sensitive).
let us know how you make out............. Streak!

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
I use a f75 with the small elliptical coil for nugget hunting and it works very well, I sometimes prefer it to my Gold Bug II with the small elliptical. IMO the GB has too hi of a freq. for deep penetration I feel the 75 is nipping at the heel of the GBII on the very small stuff and has more depth on the nuggets over a couple of grains. I hunt with the F75 in all metal with the sens. as hi as possible, and sometimes use the Disc mode to check the target. Ground Bal often.

ezzz1

Oct 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75,Teknetic 8000, At pro , At gold,Tesoro Sabre Compass X-80,fisher cd3z, goldbug2 , Garrett 250 ace 150 ,Fisher F-5,fisher 553,Teknetic 2000,fisher f4 Tesoro lobo,, silver Umax, ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the above... i have seen some detector that would give a good reading on a picker doing a air test ,, but when you put it on the ground and ground balance it,, that it would not pick it up no matter what i did to it.... what works in the MT. of ga. might not work in Arizona well.... i use the all metal mode mostly... but when i get in a area that has a lot of hot rock and hot pockets i go to Disc. just to keep from going nuts. If you try to run it to high it will chatter.. but try the JE first i do not use the boost mode for this reason ,, Also let me say that just because it may tell you it iron in the ground doesnt mean not to dig it... i got into a area that was coverd with iron junk. The first item i dug up their was a 1863 springfield bayonet

mag

Jun 8, 2007
That is some awesome reviews. Man I was stupid when I traded mine for the AT Pro.
Stupid......

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I'd be pissed if it was me Steve

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes Steve i see things posted on here now & then .....That i have read some were else by some one else..... And the poster puts them up like it is his or her words............ So we do have some on here ...More than one on here that do that.... I guess they are trying to impress us ........

ProspectorBill

Jan 12, 2013
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 300, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Other
The F75 with the small shooter coil is a very capable gold detector. It will pickup gold well down into the sub-grain area. I don't have this model but have seen it demonstrated in the field. It also looks to be a very well "rounded" detector for other uses. Regards, Bill.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
loby lifted my post directly from Fisher F75 Special Edition and Gold and posted it here as if it was his own. Not cool.

Steve Herschbach

Steve sorry about that,, the post was removed. Everyone please feel free to notify mods when something like this happens. If I had not been here looking for help on my f75 it would have been missed. Steve feel free to copy and paste that here if you wish.
Thanks everyone!
HH
TnMtns

Last edited:

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No worries. I felt better calling it out than just having it disappear. But next time I will let you know directly. Thanks.

Steve Herschbach

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Thanks for the F-75 info on gold nuggets, this is exactly what i was looking for! So I am a huge F-75 fan and I have one that I've used since it was first released, and I know it like the back of my hand. I recently moved to AZ and I'm getting the urge to do a little nugget hunting. I really had my heart set on a Gold Bug Pro. However, the more I think about it I don't know if it's worth the extra $600 + to buy a GB Pro. A LOT of the guys out here use them, so I know it works. However, the characteristics of the two detectors seem pretty similar. Dare I say it would be duplicative to have the F-75 and the GB Pro? It's seems pretty clear the GB Pro will do somewhat better, but does anyone think I would notice a huge difference if I just using the small F-75 coil? BTW - I am a long time detectorist but a newbie gold prospector. I just picked up a used drywasher on the cheap and joined a local gold hunting club. I am stoked to get out to the AZ desert this fall to hit the claims and I want to be ready. These places have been hit HARD, so I really need to have the best technology for the job. If that means I buy a GB Pro, I guess I can scratch up the extra money.

Thanks! Ian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread